Ohio 'heartbeat bill' - abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 12:47 PM
RE: Ohio 'heartbeat bill' - abortion
(20-12-2016 12:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 12:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's a valid point. There are more than enough humans.

But not enough republican Americans. Since republican Americans are the superior group of humans on the planet, we could use some more of them. We kick ass. We control the most amazing, successful country on earth. Our 2nd class citizens, known as democrat Americans, are also superior to the rest of the world, but only because we are there to back them up. We let democrat Americans stay around because they are good with computers, and good at cleaning toilets and making cheeseburgers. Can't live without them I suppose.

I'll be damned. He has a sense of humour Shocking

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-12-2016, 01:05 PM
If these anti-choice pro-forced-pregnancy-by-law zealots would commit as much time and energy to adopting children that were given up to the state after their mom decided to give them away after giving them life, we'd have a lot less babies in foster care.

As it is, they're hoping to impart the idea that sperm has supremacy over a woman's right to decide what parasites in her own womb. Or not.

I agree, if this bill passes someone should make a move using it as a precedent. Draft a heart-stoppage bill that removes people on life support from the costly expense of aerating a corpse. Because their life isn't supported by a beating heart. Which means they're brain dead.

Preferably such sponsors would be from Ohio and right now damn it!

Georgia and a few other states tried to make it a suspect criminal offense for a woman having a miscarriage. They first tried to outlaw abortion and then they wanted to make spontaneous abortion, which is what a miscarriage is, worthy of criminal investigation. Thinking a woman that miscarried could have done so using means to cause her own illegal abortion.
Penny Royal oil douches outlawed in Georgia, coming right up.

But the efforts were stopped of course.
It's like Rose Kennedy said, if men could become pregnant abortion would be a sacrament.

And to think , at one time birth control was illegal.
"Hey guy, why are you in jail? "
"I was busted for possession of illegal condoms."

[Image: vcrzu1.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Whoopsie Daisy's post
26-12-2016, 02:21 PM
(26-12-2016 01:05 PM)Whoopsie Daisy Wrote:  Georgia and a few other states tried to make it a suspect criminal offense for a woman having a miscarriage. They first tried to outlaw abortion and then they wanted to make spontaneous abortion, which is what a miscarriage is, worthy of criminal investigation. Thinking a woman that miscarried could have done so using means to cause her own illegal abortion. [...]

I didn't know about this sort of bizarre reasoning—presumably led by the god-botherers who still seem to have a major political influence in certain US electorates.

Another article about this sort of bullshit here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/j...er-charges

Only in America... sigh. But the the seppos do, unbelievably, still pursue the "one Nation under God" hypocrisy—despite that phrase only being added to the Pledge 60 years ago, rather than a more believable 160 years ago.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-12-2016, 12:11 PM
(26-12-2016 02:21 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Another article about this sort of bullshit here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/j...er-charges

Holy fuck! Facepalm
The girl gets pregnant at age 15 (first story in the article). No doubt that brought all kinds of trauma all by itself. She probably wrestled with the whole abortion decision and ultimately decided not to have one. No doubt that too brought all kinds of trauma with the whole idea of having to be responsible for a child at age 15 (or deciding to give it up for adoption - the article doesn't mention what her intended plans were). The baby is then stillborn. No doubt more trauma. So what does the state do? Charge her with murder due to a cocaine habit that hadn't been shown to have anything to do with it! Fuck Mississippi!!! Angry

Fortunately, the murder charges were ultimately dismissed.

Quote:Experts who later examined the autopsy reports of Gibbs’ daughter disagreed with the conclusion that “cocaine toxicity” was the likely cause of the infant’s death. It was far more likely, they concluded, that the cause of death was the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby’s neck.

Did this matter?
Quote:But prosecutors pressed on, arguing that they had an obligation to prosecute Gibbs because the state has an obligation to protect children from their parents, and failing to do so sends a message that “every drug addict who robs or steals to obtain money for drugs should not be held accountable for their actions because of their addiction.”
No! Prosecutors wanted to convict just because she used cocaine apparently regardless of whether that use was even a factor in the baby's death!

And this:
Quote:The judge dismissed the charge against Gibbs “without prejudice,” which means prosecutors have the discretion to refile charges against her. According to reports, Assistant District Attorney Mark Jackson said that the state would reconvene a grand jury at the end of July to try and re-indict Gibbs, this time for manslaughter.
Never mind the prosecutors who had a specific side to fight, even the supposedly impartial judge couldn't do the right thing!

She was 16 when she had the stillborn baby and 24 by the time the case was finally dismissed! So this poor girl who had her fill of trauma just from the pregnancy itself and then the stillbirth then had to deal with 8 more years of hell that ended in a threat of even more hell over a possible manslaughter charge! I can't find anything about the manslaughter charge actually being filed so hopefully this came to an end. But this really sucks!

I don't know. I think there is a valid question of what should be done regarding babies that are born with birth defects due to the negligence of the mother during pregnancy. However, I don't think a murder charge is appropriate and I think the "due to negligence" part should be clearly established before any charges or consequences are issued.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
30-12-2016, 12:50 AM
(29-12-2016 12:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't know. I think there is a valid question of what should be done regarding babies that are born with birth defects due to the negligence of the mother during pregnancy. However, I don't think a murder charge is appropriate and I think the "due to negligence" part should be clearly established before any charges or consequences are issued.

There's a theory that goes that if you enact a draconian punishment on some individual as an example, everyone else will think twice. Justice in aggregate rather than for the individual in question. I think it's total bullshit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
30-12-2016, 10:48 AM
(30-12-2016 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's a theory that goes that if you enact a draconian punishment on some individual as an example, everyone else will think twice. Justice in aggregate rather than for the individual in question. I think it's total bullshit.

I agree, it doesn't work.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
30-12-2016, 01:34 PM
It's an idea Voltaire quite rightly mocked in Candide.

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres. ("In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others.")

To this day, the concept is often derisively referred to as pour encourager les autres.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
31-12-2016, 12:25 AM
(30-12-2016 01:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's an idea Voltaire quite rightly mocked in Candide.

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres. ("In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others.")

To this day, the concept is often derisively referred to as pour encourager les autres.

I prefer my gran'ma version: Faut en tuer un pour faire peur aux autres! AKA Ya need to kill one to scare the others! Unfortunately, people who commit crimes operate under the assumption that they won't get cought so threats are a bit moot. Those who operate under the assumption that they will get cought are usualy so desperate it matters little, in a state of complete irrationality, are frankly stupid or are strongly ideologically motivated. Fear is a tool of control, but it has severe limitation.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
31-12-2016, 01:14 AM
(30-12-2016 10:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's a theory that goes that if you enact a draconian punishment on some individual as an example, everyone else will think twice. Justice in aggregate rather than for the individual in question. I think it's total bullshit.

I agree, it doesn't work.

On the other hand, there are people who are alive and well only because there are severe punishments for murder and mayhem. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2016, 01:59 AM
(31-12-2016 01:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 10:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I agree, it doesn't work.

On the other hand, there are people who are alive and well only because there are severe punishments for murder and mayhem. Yes

And plenty of others who are not, because capital punishment is seen as a sufficient substitute for comprehensive mental healthcare.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post