Ohio supreme court upholds firing of creationist teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Ohio supreme court upholds firing of creationist teacher
http://www.inquisitr.com/1535156/supreme...justified/

Supreme Court rejected Monday the appeal of Ohio science teacher John Freshwater, who was fired three years ago for teaching creationism. Freshwater, who taught eight grade science until 2011 at the Mount Vernon Middle School, reportedly taught creationism instead of evolution during science classes and also decorated his classroom with religious verses and imagery.

According to Raw Story, Freshwater was dismissed from his teaching position at the Ohio school for rejecting evolutionary principles and for giving extra points to students who attended creationist films. Freshwater also posted biblical verses on the walls of his public school classroom. In 2008, Freshwater allegedly used a high-voltage Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student’s arm.....

2014 folks, and this is the BS going on in public school.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
RE: Ohio supreme court upholds firing of creationist teacher
(12-10-2014 06:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  http://www.inquisitr.com/1535156/supreme...justified/

Supreme Court rejected Monday the appeal of Ohio science teacher John Freshwater, who was fired three years ago for teaching creationism. Freshwater, who taught eight grade science until 2011 at the Mount Vernon Middle School, reportedly taught creationism instead of evolution during science classes and also decorated his classroom with religious verses and imagery.

According to Raw Story, Freshwater was dismissed from his teaching position at the Ohio school for rejecting evolutionary principles and for giving extra points to students who attended creationist films. Freshwater also posted biblical verses on the walls of his public school classroom. In 2008, Freshwater allegedly used a high-voltage Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student’s arm.....

2014 folks, and this is the BS going on in public school.

He used a Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student's arm? Facepalm

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
12-10-2014, 07:10 PM
"In 2008, Freshwater allegedly used a high-voltage Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student’s arm"
Gasp wtf. At least they ruled against him.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
12-10-2014, 07:29 PM
kills me that the supreme court pussed out by refusing to hear the case and make a definitive stand, instead they waved it aside based on his insubordinate conduct.

Rolleyes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-10-2014, 07:43 PM
(12-10-2014 07:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  "In 2008, Freshwater allegedly used a high-voltage Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student’s arm"

Why the fuck is he not in jail for child abuse?
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
12-10-2014, 07:47 PM
(12-10-2014 07:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 07:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  "In 2008, Freshwater allegedly used a high-voltage Tesla coil to burn a cross on a student’s arm"

Why the fuck is he not in jail for child abuse?

I know! I mean, if Adrian Peterson slaps his kid with a twig and loses his career and freedom, shouldn't this non-famous moron get the chair?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
12-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the Tesla coil thing. Science teachers have been using them to demonstrate high voltage low current electricity for decades without frying any students.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
wtf is wrong with people these days? I keep telling myself that nothing can possibly surprise me, but I keep getting proved wrong.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
12-10-2014, 10:37 PM
(12-10-2014 08:51 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I wouldn't read too much into the Tesla coil thing. Science teachers have been using them to demonstrate high voltage low current electricity for decades without frying any students.

He burned a cross into a child's skin. That is just so so wrong.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
12-10-2014, 10:49 PM
(12-10-2014 10:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 08:51 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I wouldn't read too much into the Tesla coil thing. Science teachers have been using them to demonstrate high voltage low current electricity for decades without frying any students.

He burned a cross into a child's skin. That is just so so wrong.

Did he? I don't know, but witnesses said that isn't what happened, and the family dropped the lawsuit. It's not that easy to control the arc off a Tesla coil. Asshole had been performing the same demonstration for years though, and maybe he had rigged up some kind of wand that let him control to some degree what was being contacted. But until someone shows me that he had set something like that up I suspect the shape of any marks left by the demonstration were not intentional.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]