Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 04:41 AM by Hafnof.)
RE: Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...
Here is lateline's surprisingly awful coverage: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2...998407.htm

... and Chrys Sevenson's response: http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...on-stupid/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
06-05-2014, 04:44 AM
(06-05-2014 04:37 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Here is lateline's surprisingly awful coverage: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2...998407.htm

... and Chrys Sevenson's response: http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...on-stupid/

I didn't see the Lateline thing, but I had read Chrys' response, kinda channelling that.

Given how important these cases are, why I don't see Nine News or Sunrise giving it even a backwards glance? Damn news people...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-05-2014, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:09 PM by Free Thought.)
"Your argument is perfectly symmetrical, because it is circular!" stated Justice Haynes yesterday in response to Justin Gleeson, the State Councillor whom had just argued that the Executive has the power to spend tax money on what they want because they can limit that spend.

*Edit: our -> Your

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-05-2014, 06:24 PM
(07-05-2014 04:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  "our argument is perfectly symmetrical, because it is circular!" stated Justice Haynes yesterday in response to Justin Gleeson, the State Councillor whom had just argued that the Executive has the power to spend tax money on what they want because they can limit that spend.

That was well worth the long read, seems the judges put reason ahead of religion.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
07-05-2014, 10:11 PM
(07-05-2014 06:24 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 04:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  "our argument is perfectly symmetrical, because it is circular!" stated Justice Haynes yesterday in response to Justin Gleeson, the State Councillor whom had just argued that the Executive has the power to spend tax money on what they want because they can limit that spend.

That was well worth the long read, seems the judges put reason ahead of religion.

Naturally; it's exactly what judges (at least our judges) are trained to and therefore, do.

Plus, like I said earlier; this is the High Court we're talking about. The only fuck they give has already been given to the constitution; nothing else matters in their court.

07-05-2014, 10:18 PM
(07-05-2014 10:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:24 PM)sporehux Wrote:  That was well worth the long read, seems the judges put reason ahead of religion.

Naturally; it's exactly what judges (at least our judges) are trained to and therefore, do.

Plus, like I said earlier; this is the High Court we're talking about. The only fuck they give has already been given to the constitution; nothing else matters in their court.

Can I just move to Australia already? A functioning democracy where I can ride my motorcycle year round without fear of knuckle dragging redneck Christian fundamentalists? If it wasn't for their censorship of video-games, I'd sign me right the fuck up.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-05-2014, 10:27 PM
(07-05-2014 10:18 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Naturally; it's exactly what judges (at least our judges) are trained to and therefore, do.

Can I just move to Australia already? A functioning democracy where I can ride my motorcycle year round without fear of knuckle dragging redneck Christian fundamentalists? If it wasn't for their censorship of video-games, I'd sign me right the fuck up.

We do have R-18+ now, just saying... It's not being used to its fullest extent yet, but it's getting there... rather slowly, but still.

08-05-2014, 05:48 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
08-05-2014, 06:13 AM
(08-05-2014 05:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

I miss chaser. They would have nailed that parody.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
15-05-2014, 07:05 AM
The conservative government's first budget is printed, and predictably includes continued funding for school chaplaincy. The less predictable aspect is that they are banning secular chaplains. They are de-funding chaplaincy positions that do not have a "direct link to organised religion"[1].

This change will affect 623 schools who have chosen to employ a student welfare worker rather than a chaplain, which was allowed under the previous government's rule changes to the chaplaincy program. The number of schools covered by the chaplaincy is expected to fall from 3527 to around 2900 for this reason.

[1] http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ma...MP=soc_568

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post