Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 09:11 PM
RE: Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...
(19-06-2014 07:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 01:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Okay, update time, ladies and gents!

I am very happy to announce that the High Court handed down it's unanimous ruling today and found that the funding of the Chaplaincy Program was illegal, and that the legislation pushed through to counteract their ruling from 2012 on the same issue is invalid as law.

Let's hear it for Mr Ron Williams, the man who spear-headed the challenge to the High Court twice over, and to the High Court and the Justices who preside within!
Clap

I like how the governments first response is "Well fuck the court we'll figure a way to keep doing this."

One more thing on this one, Rev; http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...overnment/

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
20-06-2014, 09:28 PM
(20-06-2014 09:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 07:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I like how the governments first response is "Well fuck the court we'll figure a way to keep doing this."

One more thing on this one, Rev; http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...overnment/

Thanks FT.

Key bit...
Quote:The government seems to have no heart for ‘saving legislation’ as occurred in June 2012 after the first Williams decision. The NSCSWP has been deemed unsalvageable.

I liked the last line...
Quote:As someone wrote on Facebook recently: Bringing children and churches together – what could go wrong?

Well done to all those here who donated or campaigned.

Bowing

21-06-2014, 01:34 AM
It's not something I'm prepared to believe is settled until we see the other side accept that the program is finished. Scripture Union Queensland says:
Quote:Our current chaplaincy funding continues until the end of 2014. The benefit of such a quick decision is that the government can make the corrections to ensure continued funding for our chaplains. SU QLD will be working hard with the Commonwealth, and other relevant bodies, to put in place a new funding model in time for 2015.
... In the meantime, our Chaplains will keep on caring for children and young people across the state.
http://www.suqld.org.au/highcourt

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-06-2014, 05:45 PM
More:
Quote:
  • Chaplaincy providers were paid, in advance, to provide a full year of chaplaincy services for 2014. That payment was made in January.
  • That money came from the $222 million the Gillard government committed to chaplaincy to cover a 3 year period; that is, $74 million per year – or $37 million per half year.
  • On 19 June, 2014, the High Court ruled that Federal funding for chaplaincy is illegal – and that all payments made to date have been illegal.
  • Technically, that money should have had to have been repaid to Consolidated Revenue but, not unfairly in my opinion, the Finance Minister waived the debt. Chaplaincy providers would not have to return money paid for services rendered.
  • But, now it becomes obvious that not only was the debt for services rendered waived, but so was the debt for $37 million(half of the $74 million annual cost) paid in advance to fund the program from June-December 2014; money that will be in the banks of the para-church organisations but not yet spent on chaplains’ wages.
http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...providers/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-06-2014, 09:01 PM
(21-06-2014 05:45 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  More:
Quote:
  • Chaplaincy providers were paid, in advance, to provide a full year of chaplaincy services for 2014. That payment was made in January.
  • That money came from the $222 million the Gillard government committed to chaplaincy to cover a 3 year period; that is, $74 million per year – or $37 million per half year.
  • On 19 June, 2014, the High Court ruled that Federal funding for chaplaincy is illegal – and that all payments made to date have been illegal.
  • Technically, that money should have had to have been repaid to Consolidated Revenue but, not unfairly in my opinion, the Finance Minister waived the debt. Chaplaincy providers would not have to return money paid for services rendered.
  • But, now it becomes obvious that not only was the debt for services rendered waived, but so was the debt for $37 million(half of the $74 million annual cost) paid in advance to fund the program from June-December 2014; money that will be in the banks of the para-church organisations but not yet spent on chaplains’ wages.
http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2...providers/

It might prove cheaper to waive it than go through a lengthy process of trying to get it back.

Let's just call it a performance bonus... wink wink.

Angry

27-08-2014, 06:34 AM
An update:
Quote:THE Abbott government has moved to circumvent a High Court decision, allowing school chaplains to still be funded in schools.
In June the High Court ruled the scheme’s funding was not constitutional, awarding a Queensland father Ron Williams his second victory against the Commonwealth.
But today the Coalition has announced the program will go ahead, but instead of giving funding directly to schools, it will flow to states and territories.
In a statement, Parliamentary Secretary Scott Ryan said he would be writing to state and territory leaders “in the near future” inviting them to participate.
The scheme, which sees schools given $20,000, will still be exempt from secular workers.
“The Government believes that school chaplains make a valuable contribution to the wellbeing of students and school communities,” Senator Ryan said.
“I encourage State and Territory Governments to accept the invitation of the Commonwealth to participate in the National School Chaplaincy Programme and give all schools the chance to apply for funding for a school chaplain.”
Labor had opened the program up to secular workers, but the Coalition reversed that decision when announcing an extra $245 million over four years in the May budget.
http://www.news.com.au/national/school-c...7039039320

27-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Looks like the lawyers have been busy.

"inviting them to participate" is a clever move... opt in so "hey not our idea, the states want this"

How come the muslims aren't complaining that imams don't get a shout?

27-08-2014, 02:25 PM
(27-08-2014 08:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Looks like the lawyers have been busy.

"inviting them to participate" is a clever move... opt in so "hey not our idea, the states want this"

How come the muslims aren't complaining that imams don't get a shout?

Well the thing is, Muslims aren't allowed to complain.
Under the new thinly veiled attempt at creating more little Abbottses through the education system because religion clearly is failing on it's own, workers can be of any faith (they just can't be of no faith or leave it out of their work) so that deals with those slightly inconvenient minorities.
Additionally they are not allowed to proselytise and have to meet some sort of minimum qualification.
One wonders how exactly putting preachers in a position of authority around children and telling them not to preach will work...

If I may make a statement based on feels; This government needs to go, one way or another. It clearly give no fucks regarding the will of the now regretting people nor to the Constitution.

At least in one bit of good news, the ruling heads of the Capital Territory have decreed that they will not accept the scheme unless secular and legitimate counsellors become an option.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news...09837.html

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
27-08-2014, 02:37 PM
(04-05-2014 03:38 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Fuck I'm speechless, not typeless but spechless none the less.

outrageous!!!, prefect example as to why Atheists should not shut up and put up,but rather, act up.

It's hearing about this, the Islamic creeping rule over UK Schools and Christians in the US trying to invade the constitution that just makes me sick. You are right sir, we should not sit idly by as we let this happen. Not when we can stop it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Okay, the situation is still complete shite and it's not helped by the Queensland (well known to be the least secular state) and Western Australia (that place with all the nothing... and Perth) governments agreeing to the Commonwealth's scheme.

However, for a small sprinkling of good news: I reported that the ACT (that place where the Government is) was refusing to sign off until secular counsellors are allowed and paid for by the scheme, and now the Education Minister in my home state of South Australia (that place with all the fuck all and Opal) has followed suit, according to the ABC.

[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post