Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 09:00 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word...
(29-08-2014 04:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...my home state of South Australia (that place with all the fuck all and Opal) has followed suit, according to the ABC.

You heathen. You're forgetting the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club!!!! Evil_monsterSmile

The woman interviewed just after 8 minutes is (as you will have guessed) Julia Gillard who went on to toss PM Kevin Rudd, then losing the election to Tony Abbott. What's quite unsettling is that she apparently made a deal with the ACL despite being completely open about about being an atheist.

Rudd was (and presumably still is) a devout Christian but seemed to keep it fairly quiet. Abbott is also Christian and is quiet about it. How on earth did he become PM? That guy is an embarrassment. John Oliver and crew summed it up beautifully...

He really is that bad. No, he REALLY is that bad.

By way of explanation, we don't directly elect our PM. We vote in our local electorate and one candidate is declared the winner. The party with the most elected members gets to choose the PM. Much more the British system than the American one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
29-08-2014, 08:34 AM
(29-08-2014 06:55 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 04:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...my home state of South Australia (that place with all the fuck all and Opal) has followed suit, according to the ABC.

You heathen. You're forgetting the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club!!!! Evil_monsterSmile

I freely admit to being a piss-poor Australian; I hate sport of all kinds, don't drink booze of any sort and cringe at the use of typical slang.

(29-08-2014 06:55 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  The woman interviewed just after 8 minutes is (as you will have guessed) Julia Gillard who went on to toss PM Kevin Rudd, then losing the election to Tony Abbott. What's quite unsettling is that she apparently made a deal with the ACL despite being completely open about about being an atheist.

Signing that sort of deal got Gillard more support; which we both know she desperately needed throughout her entire time after her coup, and since she is a politician, it's not like she's got any thing like principles or values to hold onto when signing off those sorts of deals.

(29-08-2014 06:55 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Rudd was (and presumably still is) a devout Christian but seemed to keep it fairly quiet. Abbott is also Christian and is quiet about it. How on earth did he become PM? That guy is an embarrassment. John Oliver and crew summed it up beautifully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

He really is that bad. No, he REALLY is that bad.

Indeed he is that bad.

I wish I could find it, but I could swear reading a quote from Abbott which basically said "If it's not in one of my speech scripts, I didn't say it".

As for how he and his compatriots of the Not-very-liberal-at-all-Liberals got in... I figure it was a 'lesser of two evils' sort of deal. Kinda doesn't help when there were literally only two Evils to choose between and naturally Labo(u)r lost thanks to the majority of the population not understanding that the relative economic downturn following the GFC wasn't entirely their fault... Not to mention all those building scheme fuck-ups among many other things.

I mean, of course we have other parties but I get the feeling that none of them will rise as far as the two central parties enough to ever be a threat without massive unwieldy alliances or the sudden appearance of a deity.

(29-08-2014 06:55 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  By way of explanation, we don't directly elect our PM. We vote in our local electorate and one candidate is declared the winner. The party with the most elected members gets to choose the PM. Much more the British system than the American one.

Yet another reason to do some reforms and move a tad closer to the US system; let us put the wanker in power that we want to regret later, damnit!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-08-2014, 09:07 AM
(29-08-2014 08:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...
move a tad closer to the US system; let us put the wanker in power that we want to regret later, damnit!

Yet the US system can get you Bush-whacked!

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-08-2014, 10:13 AM
(29-08-2014 09:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 08:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...
move a tad closer to the US system; let us put the wanker in power that we want to regret later, damnit!

Yet the US system can get you Bush-whacked!

Dodgy

Well I did say 'tad'...

I dread the day Australia goes full 'Murica.
Probably wont happen. Probably.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post