Ok, so s'plain this ta me ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 04:52 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Ok, so s'plain this ta me ...
Americans are so funny about celebrities.

Dick Clark died today. CNN is reporting that he died of a "massive heart attack".

Why is it that if you are a person of some "status" in this culture, a "regular" heart attack is not good enough to get ya. Oh no. It's got to be "massive" to be worthy of your status. There is no clinical label in Cardiology "massive heart attack" except maybe when they talk to lay people. There are one vessel MI's, two vessel MI's etc. but no "massive" anything. What a hoot. If you're a Hollywoody, it's got ta be "massive", or it's just not good enough. How about a "plain ole" heart attack. "Mr. Clark died today, of a plain ole heart attck." When you're dead, you're dead. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: Ok, so s'plain this ta me ...
It seems that the layman's understanding of "Massive Heart Attack" is one that kills the person or severely incapacitates them. A "Heart Attack" or "Mild Heart Attack" describes what happens to the person who survives a MI. Dick Clark died from his MI, ergo, it was "Massive". I don't think celebrity had anything to do with the use of the term.
[+] 1 user Likes Olddaad's post
18-04-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 06:33 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-04-2012 04:14 PM)Olddaad Wrote:  It seems that the layman's understanding of "Massive Heart Attack" is one that kills the person or severely incapacitates them. A "Heart Attack" or "Mild Heart Attack" describes what happens to the person who survives a MI. Dick Clark died from his MI, ergo, it was "Massive". I don't think celebrity had anything to do with the use of the term.

You're probably right. But I've heard a few people say, "I had a Massive heart attack ya know" .. sort of an attention seeking device. I'm such a cynic. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Just a headline that grabs attention. Attention gets advertising. Advertising makes money. Strong adjectives used to garner attention aren't really new.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 06:25 PM
My brother survived a major heart attack. I guess if it had been massive he might not have been revived after being flatlined in the ER. Undecided

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-04-2012, 06:33 PM
(18-04-2012 03:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dick Clark died today.

Peace out, you ageless fucker.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-04-2012, 02:41 AM
In some attic somewhere there is a portrait that he is no longer in.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
20-04-2012, 02:42 AM
I had a MASSIVE cold a few weeks back.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
20-04-2012, 02:48 AM
(20-04-2012 02:42 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I had a MASSIVE cold a few weeks back.

I listen to Massive Attack.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
20-04-2012, 06:28 AM
I had five, that's massive... cause I'm so cool. Cool

Wasn't my line, t'was the doc's. You're just looking for an excuse to be a hater. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user