Ok, that's it. Calling out Erxomai.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Ok, that's it. Calling out Erxomai.
Made you look.

But really, would you mind giving your atheistic testimony?

I'm insanely curious as to how you went from Point A to Point B. Moreover, what caused the fulcrum shift - how did you finally decide to recant Christianity?

You don't see many people like you: a pastor for years deciding everything he believes and put his life into was false. As I told you, this fascinates me.

So, spill it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 11:27 PM
RE: Ok, that's it. Calling out Erxomai.
Do you listen to the podcasts King? The "whatever" show May 08 has a really good story from a preacher. You should definitely listen to it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Dammit. I was hoping it was going to be something like:

KC: Millenialism!
Erx: Pff. Post-trib, sucka.

Then we shake hands.

Anyway, I'm your huckleberry. I'm actually in the process of journalling my de-conversion. So the long version will be available for viewing sometime next year.
The short version is: I was, but I'm not anymore.

The medium version I'll hit you up manana...give you something to read when you're bored at the Gynie's office (No Johnny C, I didn't say Gwynnies).

And since you're too young, you may not have caught the reference:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 11:46 PM by kingschosen.)
(06-12-2011 11:27 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Do you listen to the podcasts King? The "whatever" show May 08 has a really good story from a preacher. You should definitely listen to it.

No, I have not. Going to check that out, though. Thanks Lilith.
(06-12-2011 11:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Dammit. I was hoping it was going to be something like:

KC: Millenialism!
Erx: Pff. Post-trib, sucka.

Then we shake hands.

Anyway, I'm your huckleberry. I'm actually in the process of journalling my de-conversion. So the long version will be available for viewing sometime next year.
The short version is: I was, but I'm not anymore.

The medium version I'll hit you up manana...give you something to read when you're bored at the Gynie's office (No Johnny C, I didn't say Gwynnies).

And since you're too young, you may not have caught the reference:

Pffft, I can quote that entire movie.

And, I look forward to reading it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-12-2011, 11:58 PM
(06-12-2011 11:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm your huckleberry.
Val Kilmer can do some serious damage to his laz-about reputation when he puts his mind to it. Many moons ago -long before this film was made, I did extensive, very involved research on Doc Holliday -got paid for it, too. Val Kilmer clad himself in that guy's skin... just amazing.

Wink Thanks for that... it's been a while since I'd seen or read about those fellas.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-12-2011, 12:08 AM
(06-12-2011 11:58 PM)kim Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 11:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm your huckleberry.
Val Kilmer can do some serious damage to his laz-about reputation when he puts his mind to it. Many moons ago -long before this film was made, I did extensive, very involved research on Doc Holliday -got paid for it, too. Val Kilmer clad himself in that guy's skin... just amazing.

Wink Thanks for that... it's been a while since I'd seen or read about those fellas.

Oh, that's awesome, Kim. So did you also have an opinion on Dennis Quaid's version the next year in "Wyatt Earp"? As a dude that loves shoot em up movies, I much preferred watching Tombstone (and will watch it over and over), but I felt, as a novice, that it gave a broader view to Wyatt's story.

This story has fascinated me since watching a Star Trek re-run in the early 70s called "Specter of the Gun"

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 01:15 AM
(07-12-2011 12:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, that's awesome, Kim. So did you also have an opinion on Dennis Quaid's version the next year in "Wyatt Earp"? As a dude that loves shoot em up movies, I much preferred watching Tombstone (and will watch it over and over), but I felt, as a novice, that it gave a broader view to Wyatt's story.

This story has fascinated me since watching a Star Trek re-run in the early 70s called "Specter of the Gun"

You know, Dennis Quaid actually looked quite a bit more like the real Doc -kind of death warmed over, certainly a has-been rather than heroic, he was supposed to die and couldn't figure out why it was taking so long.
Funny; if you could put the two together... what with Quaid's pathos and Kilmer's swagger ... you might get a definitive Doc Holliday. But, I'd also be tempted to throw in the scholarly attitude and paranoia of Stacey Keach from the portrait film Doc. John Holliday was a complex, fascinating, well traveled, multifaceted dentist and polyglot. Just one actor might not do him justice.
I love it when Chekov gets killed and then comes back to life... kinda Jesus-y if you ask me. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 06:53 PM by Erxomai.)
(07-12-2011 01:15 AM)kim Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 12:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, that's awesome, Kim. So did you also have an opinion on Dennis Quaid's version the next year in "Wyatt Earp"? As a dude that loves shoot em up movies, I much preferred watching Tombstone (and will watch it over and over), but I felt, as a novice, that it gave a broader view to Wyatt's story.

You know, Dennis Quaid actually looked quite a bit more like the real Doc -kind of death warmed over, certainly a has-been rather than heroic, he was supposed to die and couldn't figure out why it was taking so long.
Funny; if you could put the two together... what with Quaid's pathos and Kilmer's swagger ... you might get a definitive Doc Holliday. But, I'd also be tempted to throw in the scholarly attitude and paranoia of Stacey Keach from the portrait film Doc. John Holliday was a complex, fascinating, well traveled, multifaceted dentist and polyglot. Just one actor might not do him justice.
I love it when Chekov gets killed and then comes back to life... kinda Jesus-y if you ask me. Wink

Hehe...I'm impressed you watched that far into it. Smile Star Trek has bits of Christian imagery sprinkled throughout the Original Series. I may have to do some research on that and share my discoveries.

I think I saw the Stacey Keach film somewhen. You've convinced me he would need more than one actor. Kind of like if HoC were ever to be portrayed in film. Gwynnies forbid that ever happen, because if Johnny Cantor were to be immortalized in film, it would mean he probably went postal, so perhaps we shouldn't hope for that.

For part of my life story, to get back on topic, but having little to do with my de-conversion, I spent the bulk of my Preacher years in Riverside, CA which is one city limits sign away from Colton, CA, which I understand is where the surviving Earps ended up. It fascinated me that characters I had seen on a Star Trek episode had actually been real people and some of them lived in this real place, and within the lifetime of my grandfather, and maybe even my dad. So I did some Googles of the Interwebs and learned more about Wyatt. Very fascinating stuff.

~Izel
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
(07-12-2011 01:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think I saw the Stacey Keach film somewhen. You've convinced me he would need more than one actor. Kind of like if HoC were ever to be portrayed in film. Gwynnies forbid that ever happen, because if Johnny Cantor were to be immortalized in film, it would mean he probably went postal, so perhaps we shouldn't hope for that.
Ha! Lucky us!
I didn't want to say anything because... I don't really know either, but my interaction with HoC is not dissimilar to my research on Doc; somewhat detached but still the gathered impressions are quite strong. Possibly victims of self, but certainly circumstance (as are we all), I have no doubt both could be (are) celebrated as great and extraordinary minds of their respective times.
Many are unaware that John Holliday was well traveled and highly educated. Aside from his Dentistry PHD, Medical Arts degree, he was fluent in Latin as well as French. He was a prolific reader, writer -mostly letters, a philosopher and a philologist - ancient Greek.... and... he was a gifted mathematician.
Many, and by that I mean everyone who encountered him, came away amazed by his gambling skills. It was the first and last thing anyone ever said about him. Of course, it can not be proven but because of my research, I have the distinct impression he may have counted cards. I don't know if anyone has put this hypothesis to page but... possibilities can be known or stay unknown. Very precious still, is a man who possibly is who he is.
People are treasures... and lucky is the treasure hunter who runs across both Doc and HoC. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
(07-12-2011 04:31 PM)kim Wrote:  I didn't want to say anything because... I don't really know either, but my interaction with HoC is not dissimilar to my research on Doc; somewhat detached but still the gathered impressions are quite strong. Possibly victims of self, but certainly circumstance (as are we all), I have no doubt both could be (are) celebrated as great and extraordinary minds of their respective times.
Many are unaware that John Holliday was well traveled and highly educated. Aside from his Dentistry PHD, Medical Arts degree, he was fluent in Latin as well as French. He was a prolific reader, writer -mostly letters, a philosopher and a philologist - ancient Greek.... and... he was a gifted mathematician.
Many, and by that I mean everyone who encountered him, came away amazed by his gambling skills. It was the first and last thing anyone ever said about him. Of course, it can not be proven but because of my research, I have the distinct impression he may have counted cards. I don't know if anyone has put this hypothesis to page but... possibilities can be known or stay unknown. Very precious still, is a man who possibly is who he is.
People are treasures... and lucky is the treasure hunter who runs across both Doc and HoC. Wink

You're onto something here, Kim. Note the similarities:
Johnny Cantor -- John Holliday.
Prophet -- Dentist (ok, no real connection, but they have fancy titles)
Gwynnies -- Tuberculosis
EllenJanuary -- Wyatt Earp
Set Theory -- Counting Cards

I'm sure I could go on, but I don't want to have to start believing in reincarnation.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post