Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 05:23 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
Singapore to London. By motorbike (and train).

It's something I've thought about for a long time and something I really wanna do.
But I'm not even sure it's possible.
I've thought about Singapore - Kuala Lumpa - Bangkok - Cambodia - Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - Hong Kong - Taipei - Shanghai - Beijing and then take a train from Beijing to Moscow - Helsinki - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Zagreb - Venice - San Marino - Rome - Vatican City - Florence - Milan - Zurich - Frankfurt - Amsterdam - Antwerp - Brussels - London.

That would cover pretty much most places I really wanna visit in the world except Japan and North Korea.

And yes. I am 100% fully aware how absolutely ridiculous and impossible that sounds. 100% aware. But it's what I've wanted to do since forever and so I wanna know if it's even possible. And how ridiculously expensive it might be, if anyone has any idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2017, 05:43 AM
RE: Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
What exactly do you have in mind when you say motorbike? Your own, rented, one of those motorcycle taxis like they have in Thailand and China?

Complicated is different than impossible. You could make it (or a modified version of it) happen.

'Murican Canadian
07-05-2017, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 05:53 AM by earmuffs.)
It's 5,500km through South Asia. 3,700km through China. 8,000km by train through Russia. And 7,400km around Europe. For a total of 16,600km ridden on bike and 8,000km by train and 26,400km by plane (from Auckland to Singapore and from London to Auckland). 60,800km total equivalent to roughly 1 and a half times that of going around the world or 16% of the way from Earth to the Moon.
07-05-2017, 05:52 AM
(07-05-2017 05:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  What exactly do you have in mind when you say motorbike? Your own, rented, one of those motorcycle taxis like they have in Thailand and China?

Complicated is different than impossible. You could make it (or a modified version of it) happen.

I'd buy it because it because noone would rent me one if I wanted to drive from Singapore to London. And it'd be too expensive. I was thinking like one of those Royal Enfield's all the Indians ride around on, or maybe something like a BMW Dakar.
07-05-2017, 05:58 AM
Check these sites out for some first hand tips.
Wheezyrider
The Longest Way Home
&
Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
[Image: 51HD1KCKR8L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
07-05-2017, 06:00 AM
Go with the BMW. The GS series are all but bulletproof, and you can find used copies in great shape relatively cheap. Plus, the boxer head is easier to work on in random nowhere because you can get right to the valves, etc. Parts are relatively easy to find as, like the Enfield, they've been building them the same basic way for years.

I think that travel quest is a worthy one, and I'm jealous of anyone who gets to try. You should totally do a running Vlog or daily photo-post documentary about the trip. Might even get some patreons to help sponsor your gas and repair costs.

I say awesome, go for it!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-05-2017, 06:02 AM
(07-05-2017 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Singapore to London. By motorbike (and train).

It's something I've thought about for a long time and something I really wanna do.
But I'm not even sure it's possible.
I've thought about Singapore - Kuala Lumpa - Bangkok - Cambodia - Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - Hong Kong - Taipei - Shanghai - Beijing and then take a train from Beijing to Moscow - Helsinki - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Zagreb - Venice - San Marino - Rome - Vatican City - Florence - Milan - Zurich - Frankfurt - Amsterdam - Antwerp - Brussels - London.

That would cover pretty much most places I really wanna visit in the world except Japan and North Korea.

And yes. I am 100% fully aware how absolutely ridiculous and impossible that sounds. 100% aware. But it's what I've wanted to do since forever and so I wanna know if it's even possible. And how ridiculously expensive it might be, if anyone has any idea.

I'd say unless you are making 6 figures every year, you might want to simply be more selective and pick one or two.

I have been lucky enough to travel mostly when I was young because of my parents all over the United States, been to Europe, Mexico and as an adult Japan. I can tell you while it is nice to travel if you can it is far more important to be pragmatic, and also know weather and language really don't change that all 7 billion of us are the same species.

Don't put yourself in debt is my point. Save first then buy, not buy first then worry about paying it off. Don't bite off more than your budget can handle and plan ahead according to what your means are.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
07-05-2017, 06:08 AM
At a glance, the first problem I see that might require some serious research is whatever laws are involved in taking your vehicle through the various border crossings, and laws can vary from country to country depending on whose plates you have on the vehicle.

I'd almost be inclined to do the southeast Asia portion of the journey on bicycle instead of motorbike. I had a classmate in China that rode with a small group from Hangzhou to Bangkok and it went quite smoothly.

Beyond that there isn't any individual portion of your plan that strikes me as insurmountable. Just a matter of doing your research, putting it all together, staying within your budget, and not getting mugged and murdered on your way through Thailand and Vietnam Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-05-2017, 06:08 AM
Quote:Hong Kong - Taipei - Shanghai

You'll need a kayak.
07-05-2017, 06:12 AM
And I can't say much for Russia or Europe, but Southeastern Asia and China I could probably do and actually save money by not being in Canada Big Grin. After that is where costs start to pick up. Or before that if you feel the need to eat western food and sleep in decent hotels.

'Murican Canadian