Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 06:13 AM
RE: Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
The other thing you have to take into account is how long long distance travel just at the airport level takes, I can tell you flying from Baltimore MD to Tokyo is extremely draining physically, especially if you cannot sleep on a plane, which I cannot. When we finally got to my x wife's place I slept almost 16 hours.

I can see making a long trip if you are going to stay a minimum of 2 weeks at your destination. I find that even one week is not enough because 2 of those days is literally nothing but mundane travel and that can be physically draining.

But regardless of your personal stamina financial planning is far more important. You need to KNOW what you do isn't going to sink you long term.

I am in no way saying not to go to some of those places, but merely be realistic about it and don't bite of more than you can handle.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
07-05-2017, 06:18 AM
[attachment=3747]
(07-05-2017 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Singapore to London. By motorbike (and train).

It's something I've thought about for a long time and something I really wanna do.
But I'm not even sure it's possible.
I've thought about Singapore - Kuala Lumpa - Bangkok - Cambodia - Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - Hong Kong - Taipei - Shanghai - Beijing and then take a train from Beijing to Moscow - Helsinki - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Zagreb - Venice - San Marino - Rome - Vatican City - Florence - Milan - Zurich - Frankfurt - Amsterdam - Antwerp - Brussels - London.

That would cover pretty much most places I really wanna visit in the world except Japan and North Korea.

And yes. I am 100% fully aware how absolutely ridiculous and impossible that sounds. 100% aware. But it's what I've wanted to do since forever and so I wanna know if it's even possible. And how ridiculously expensive it might be, if anyone has any idea.
Not really ridiculous, just huge in scope. (for one like me)
That trip will require a buttload of visa's man! Doable, just a lot of pre planning prep!? (I'm a planner type. not good!
I'd hope you are not,and prefer the "We'll see how it goes when I get there!" type!
Varying currency issues might hang you up at a couple different petrol stations.
Don't forget to pack the Imodium too.

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 06:21 AM
(07-05-2017 06:02 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Singapore to London. By motorbike (and train).

It's something I've thought about for a long time and something I really wanna do.
I've thought about Singapore - Kuala Lumpa - Bangkok - Cambodia - Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - Hong Kong - Taipei - Shanghai - Beijing and then take a train from Beijing to Moscow - Helsinki - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Zagreb - Venice - San Marino - Rome - Vatican City - Florence - Milan - Zurich - Frankfurt - Amsterdam - Antwerp - Brussels - London.

That would cover pretty much most places I really wanna visit in the world except Japan and North Korea.

And yes. I am 100% fully aware how absolutely ridiculous and impossible that sounds. 100% aware. But it's what I've wanted to do since forever and so I wanna know if it's even possible. And how ridiculously expensive it might be, if anyone has any idea.

I'd say unless you are making 6 figures every year, you might want to simply be more selective and pick one or two.

I have been lucky enough to travel mostly when I was young because of my parents all over the United States, been to Europe, Mexico and as an adult Japan. I can tell you while it is nice to travel if you can it is far more important to be pragmatic, and also know weather and language really don't change that all 7 billion of us are the same species.

Don't put yourself in debt is my point. Save first then buy, not buy first then worry about paying it off. Don't bite off more than your budget can handle and plan ahead according to what your means are.

I'm a very pragmatic person. I'd never go into debt to travel. The earliest I would do this would be 2019 when my lease runs out and I've paid off my debt and have more savings than $700. That way I have no bills and can take my time a little more. I would certainly be well planned on the money side of things.

I also expect it to be expensive, but I do believe I can do it relatively affordably.
South Asia is cheap and Europe is plenty accommodating to backpackers. Motorbikes are also pretty good on the gas bill. I'm not naive to the expense but I do not believe I need a 6 figure salary to do this.

(07-05-2017 06:08 AM)yakherder Wrote:  At a glance, the first problem I see that might require some serious research is whatever laws are involved in taking your vehicle through the various border crossings, and laws can vary from country to country depending on whose plates you have on the vehicle.

I'd almost be inclined to do the southeast Asia portion of the journey on bicycle instead of motorbike. I had a classmate in China that rode with a small group from Hangzhou to Bangkok and it went quite smoothly.

Beyond that there isn't any individual portion of your plan that strikes me as insurmountable. Just a matter of doing your research, putting it all together, staying within your budget, and not getting mugged and murdered on your way through Thailand and Vietnam Big Grin

I might bike several km every day but that doens't mean I wanna bike from Singapore to Hanoi. Tongue But that is a valid point about laws.

Getting mugged and murdered would be a bit of a downer on the whole trip. Consider

Quote:You'll need a kayak.

It might end up being Hong Kong to Shanghai to Tokyo down Japan and then to Seoul to Beijing. There's ferries, I know there's at least one from Shanghai to Tokyo and Tokyo to Seoul. There's bound to be more.

Quote:And I can't say much for Russia or Europe, but Southeastern Asia and China I could probably do and actually save money by not being in Canada Big Grin. After that is where costs start to pick up. Or before that if you feel the need to eat western food and sleep in decent hotels.

I survive on 16 hours a week work. To say that I'm not exactly living the highlife would be an accurate statement. I'm fine with camping and I'd love to try the local food every chance I get.

I'd not be against doing less Europe and more Asia. I mean I obviously haven't planned it out too much, it's just something I know I wanna do.
07-05-2017, 06:23 AM
(07-05-2017 06:18 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  

Not really ridiculous, just huge in scope. (for one like me)
That trip will require a buttload of visa's man! Doable, just a lot of pre planning prep!? (I'm a planner type. not good!
I'd hope you are not,and prefer the "We'll see how it goes when I get there!" type!
Varying currency issues might hang you up at a couple different petrol stations.
Don't forget to pack the Imodium too.

I'm a bit of a planner and a bit of "we'll see how it goes" type of person.
I like things planned but are happy to stray away from that.
Also yes, half my packed weight will be Imodium.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2017, 06:27 AM
So, looking at some of FC's links, it never occurred to me that I could start in Australia...
Now there's an idea.
07-05-2017, 06:27 AM
(07-05-2017 06:08 AM)yakherder Wrote:  At a glance, the first problem I see that might require some serious research is whatever laws are involved in taking your vehicle through the various border crossings, and laws can vary from country to country depending on whose plates you have on the vehicle.

I'd almost be inclined to do the southeast Asia portion of the journey on bicycle instead of motorbike. I had a classmate in China that rode with a small group from Hangzhou to Bangkok and it went quite smoothly.

Beyond that there isn't any individual portion of your plan that strikes me as insurmountable. Just a matter of doing your research, putting it all together, staying within your budget, and not getting mugged and murdered on your way through Thailand and Vietnam Big Grin

The OP seems a bit dreamy eyed and unrealistic. There are so many complexities to doing something like that, that unless you can pay like a multimillionaire or billionaire and have help once you get wherever and have the ability to pay them, it seems like a lot of risk to take.

Most average travelers are wise to stick to the beaten path and keep it simple and within their means. Again, not saying dont travel, but just like driving, do it safely, and know where you are going.

It does you no good, even on one trip, to not do your research, end up in a bad place, get robbed and not have your passport and just that alone can cause all sorts of problems trying to get back home.

There is not one nation in the world that does not have crime, or remote places that if something goes wrong, you can be really screwed. Planing, budget and safety first.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
07-05-2017, 06:31 AM
One more book that looks like it has some good tips and advice.

Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
[Image: 51-gSkgFtGL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Everyone was is different so I'm going to start out by saying you do you, man.

That said I'll offer up a bit from my own travel experience for what it's worth. I taught English in Japan and S Korea for a long time and traveled through a fair amount of the Indian subcontinent and a little bit of China and SE Asia.

In my opinion, and this applies to my brain, it takes all kinds, but in my opinion (yeah I said it again), you're thinking too goal oriented about destination. The point shouldn't be to make it to London hitting all these places but rather having interesting and hopefully enjoyable experiences where you do hit. On one trip, my rough plan was to travel overland in a huge circle from Bombay up to Tibet down to Myanmar and back. In actuality, I stopped heading north in Nepal mainly because it was getting cold. So I didn't make it to Tibet. Tibet would have been cool, I'm sure, but rushing there instead of enjoying Nepal would have been foolish. Then I found myself staying in a Buddhist monastery in India that was super mellow and incredibly cheap. So I just chilled there and slept a lot for a couple weeks. Then it turned out I liked Calcutta much more than I thought, it was super cheap, really intense, and the food was great. I stayed there and spent a lot of time reading books, which I could do at home, but that's what I wanted to do. Then finally I couldn't or no longer had the drive to make it to Myanmar. Bangladesh had some rule against crossing through on land, they wanted you coming in and out of the same border crossing. So instead of Myanmar I went down to the southernmost part of Bangladesh which was very mindblowing. I really wanted to see Myanmar and Tibet but I'm still glad I wasn't overly caught up with my destination goals and went more where the trip seemed to take me.

For you, I suggest not starting in Singapore because it's spendy. I suggest going to Vietnam or Cambodia and buying a motorcycle there and cruise around wherever it takes you and then selling it. The Transiberian express would be classic and I'd love to hit that. I guess it's the old cliche it's a journey not a destination. I totally recommend doing it though. I barely have a pot to piss in from doing shit I couldn't afford. Don't know what you can or cannot afford but it's all been worth it to me. You'll see some crazy shit and meet incredible people and puke and shit yourself and all of it.
07-05-2017, 08:02 AM
I visited 72 countries during twenty years on active duty with the USN. The Navy was my personal cruise line. Thumbsup
07-05-2017, 09:54 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ran_Kropp

This guy rode a bicycle (not a motorcycle) from Sweden to Nepal, then climbed Mount Everest without bottled oxygen, then got on his bicycle and rode back to Sweden.

I'm inclined to say you can do just about anything if you want to badly enough.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post