Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 09:56 AM
RE: Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
A co-worker of mine took the Transsib a few years ago, from Moscow to Bejing. It wasnt exactly cheap iirc. Consider this: Its just a train ticket....for several thousand kilometers... Rolleyes

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2017, 10:29 AM
(07-05-2017 06:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 06:08 AM)yakherder Wrote:  At a glance, the first problem I see that might require some serious research is whatever laws are involved in taking your vehicle through the various border crossings, and laws can vary from country to country depending on whose plates you have on the vehicle.

I'd almost be inclined to do the southeast Asia portion of the journey on bicycle instead of motorbike. I had a classmate in China that rode with a small group from Hangzhou to Bangkok and it went quite smoothly.

Beyond that there isn't any individual portion of your plan that strikes me as insurmountable. Just a matter of doing your research, putting it all together, staying within your budget, and not getting mugged and murdered on your way through Thailand and Vietnam Big Grin

The OP seems a bit dreamy eyed and unrealistic. There are so many complexities to doing something like that, that unless you can pay like a multimillionaire or billionaire and have help once you get wherever and have the ability to pay them, it seems like a lot of risk to take.

Most average travelers are wise to stick to the beaten path and keep it simple and within their means. Again, not saying dont travel, but just like driving, do it safely, and know where you are going.

It does you no good, even on one trip, to not do your research, end up in a bad place, get robbed and not have your passport and just that alone can cause all sorts of problems trying to get back home.

There is not one nation in the world that does not have crime, or remote places that if something goes wrong, you can be really screwed. Planing, budget and safety first.

I'd be the last person to criticize someone for being restless and coming up with crazy ideas. I moved to China without a plan and ended up staying for 4 years, during which time I went on a spontaneous horseback riding trip through outer Mongolia with some friends, spending less on the purchase of the horses and other travel costs than I would have just existing back in my 1st world home. It really depends on the person, I think. If you do it right, it can be dirt cheap and is far from impossible. Do it wrong and you end up broke and dead in a ditch in some random backwoods shithole. Such is life. Better than being bored Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
07-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
(07-05-2017 05:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 05:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  What exactly do you have in mind when you say motorbike? Your own, rented, one of those motorcycle taxis like they have in Thailand and China?

Complicated is different than impossible. You could make it (or a modified version of it) happen.

I'd buy it because it because noone would rent me one if I wanted to drive from Singapore to London. And it'd be too expensive. I was thinking like one of those Royal Enfield's all the Indians ride around on, or maybe something like a BMW Dakar.

You should get one of these.

[Image: 47ecc5b85095ebc2aedf3913cfc74527.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
07-05-2017, 11:33 AM
(07-05-2017 11:11 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 05:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'd buy it because it because noone would rent me one if I wanted to drive from Singapore to London. And it'd be too expensive. I was thinking like one of those Royal Enfield's all the Indians ride around on, or maybe something like a BMW Dakar.

You should get one of these.

So much irony and hypocrisy in your rightful poking at the unrealistic.

Earmuffs isn't wrong for wanting to travel, I simply think it is unrealistic to do all that in a lifetime, much less 1 year or two years, unless you are uber rich. Kinda like how delusional you are with guns.

You are not wrong in saying "I have a right to guns" just like Earmuffs isn't wrong for wanting to travel, but seems to me you lack the same pragmatism but on a different subject.

I just don't see how his desire to do that is pragmatic. Travel isn't the issue, he can and should do that if he wants, but seems to be biting off more than one can handle.

Travel
Religion
Guns

FINE GREAT, do it, but be pragmatic and don't be unrealistic about it.

I really cannot stress this enough. I love my mom, she has been nothing but good to me. I miss her more than anything in the world. But she would often get upset with me in her old age, snapping at me "Let me do it" "I can do it", "Why wont you let me do it", knowing she had mobility issues, and none of my objections were about telling her never, but "I want you to do it, but do it safely and pragmatically".

YOU CAN TRAVEL but know your budget. Listen to those who know the region you are traveling. You can have a gun, but you don't need a spray riffle. "Mom, I want you to be mobile, I want you to be as independent as you can, but work around your limitations instead of ignoring them".

I apply the same logic to any subject. Approach it with skepticism and pragmatism. If you are not willing to do that, you really set yourself up for potential problems.

I have the same problem with any musician, actor, sports star, business person who leaves it at "YOU CAN DO IT'. No, it is not impossible, and you can certainly try, nobody will begrudge you from getting to the top, but if you are not taking into account all the complexities and all the competition and odds, you are going to set yourself up for disappointment and failure.

There is no such thing as a utopia, not on any subject. Not on economics, not on religion, not on travel, not on political party, not on class, not on guns.

Planning, pragmatism and safety get you further than "I have the right to". Planning and pragmatism and redundancy and safety got us to the moon. Our desire to get there didn't do it alone.

Earmuffs was talking about Travel, yes, but the OP seems to be jumping in the deep end right off the bat. His intent even on that subject, his desire to do it, is not the problem.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 11:41 AM
(07-05-2017 11:33 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 11:11 AM)KUSA Wrote:  You should get one of these.

So much irony and hypocrisy in your rightful poking at the unrealistic.

Earmuffs isn't wrong for wanting to travel, I simply think it is unrealistic to do all that in a lifetime, much less 1 year or two years, unless you are uber rich. Kinda like how delusional you are with guns.

You are not wrong in saying "I have a right to guns" just like Earmuffs isn't wrong for wanting to travel, but seems to me you lack the same pragmatism but on a different subject.

I just don't see how his desire to do that is pragmatic. Travel isn't the issue, he can and should do that if he wants, but seems to be biting off more than one can handle.

Travel
Religion
Guns

I really cannot stress this enough. I love my mom, she has been nothing but good to me. I miss her more than anything in the world. But she would often get upset with me in her old age, snapping at me "Let me do it" "I can do it", "Why wont you let me do it", knowing she had mobility issues, and none of my objections were about telling her never, but "I want you to do it, but do it safely and pragmatically".

YOU CAN TRAVEL but know your budget. Listen to those who know the region you are traveling. You can have a gun, but you don't need a spray riffle. "Mom, I want you to be mobile, I want you to be as independent as you can, but work around your limitations instead of ignoring them".

I apply the same logic to any subject. Approach it with skepticism and pragmatism. If you are not willing to do that, you really set yourself up for potential problems.

I have the same problem with any musician, actor, sports star, business person who leaves it at "YOU CAN DO IT'. No, it is not impossible, and you can certainly try, nobody will begrudge you from getting to the top, but if you are not taking into account all the complexities and all the competition and odds, you are going to set yourself up for disappointment and failure.

There is no such thing as a utopia, not on any subject. Not on economics, not on religion, not on travel, not on political party, not on class, not on guns.

Planning, pragmatism and safety get you further than "I have the right to". Planning and pragmatism and redundancy and safety got us to the moon. Our desire to get there didn't do it alone.

Earmuffs was talking about Travel, yes, but the OP seems to be jumping in the deep end right off the bat. His intent even on that subject, his desire to do it, is not the problem.

What are you babbling about? Muffs wanting to bike across half the world does not warrant a gun discussion, nor is muffs planning to bike to the fucking moon.

Have you had a head injury?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
(07-05-2017 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Singapore to London. By motorbike (and train).

Do it by walk and swim or you're a pussy. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-05-2017, 12:13 PM
(07-05-2017 06:08 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Beyond that there isn't any individual portion of your plan that strikes me as insurmountable. Just a matter of doing your research, putting it all together, staying within your budget, and not getting mugged and murdered on your way through Thailand and Vietnam Big Grin

His bigger risk of not making it out of Thailand is becoming a lady boy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
(07-05-2017 10:29 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 06:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The OP seems a bit dreamy eyed and unrealistic. There are so many complexities to doing something like that, that unless you can pay like a multimillionaire or billionaire and have help once you get wherever and have the ability to pay them, it seems like a lot of risk to take.

Most average travelers are wise to stick to the beaten path and keep it simple and within their means. Again, not saying dont travel, but just like driving, do it safely, and know where you are going.

It does you no good, even on one trip, to not do your research, end up in a bad place, get robbed and not have your passport and just that alone can cause all sorts of problems trying to get back home.

There is not one nation in the world that does not have crime, or remote places that if something goes wrong, you can be really screwed. Planing, budget and safety first.

I'd be the last person to criticize someone for being restless and coming up with crazy ideas. I moved to China without a plan and ended up staying for 4 years, during which time I went on a spontaneous horseback riding trip through outer Mongolia with some friends, spending less on the purchase of the horses and other travel costs than I would have just existing back in my 1st world home. It really depends on the person, I think. If you do it right, it can be dirt cheap and is far from impossible. Do it wrong and you end up broke and dead in a ditch in some random backwoods shithole. Such is life. Better than being bored Big Grin

No, it does not just depend on the person. Yes people are different, you obviously also had the means in this case otherwise it would not have happened.

I am sorry but "Doing it wrong and you end up broke and dead in a ditch somewhere, is better than being bored"? BULLSHIT, again that is a stupid "either you take needless risk or you cant have fun" Nobody is arguing that.

How about, you can plan your risk and have fun and be safe?

The risk scientists take, like getting to the moon, did not negate the accomplishment and to say those who landed on the moon didn't have fun would be absurd.

Everyone is different. I don't get enjoyment out of sweating or being so physically tired I cant have fun. Don't project your idea of what you like doing on others.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
07-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Someone's already mentioned Ted Simon and his round-the-world motorcycle trek and it's worth reading.

A few others come to mind:
Long Way Round
Emilio Scotto
The University of Gravel Roads

I'm too old and fragile now to take on such an adventure, but if I were twenty years younger I'd be all over this, debt or no debt.
07-05-2017, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 12:48 PM by Brian37.)
(07-05-2017 11:41 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 11:33 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  So much irony and hypocrisy in your rightful poking at the unrealistic.

Travel
Religion
Guns

What are you babbling about? Muffs wanting to bike across half the world does not warrant a gun discussion, nor is muffs planning to bike to the fucking moon.

Have you had a head injury?

Then what the fuck was your point in posting the UNREALISTIC fictional mode of transportation in that episode of South Park? Looked like sarcasm to me.

No he wasn't planning to bike to the moon, where the fuck did I argue that? Look at the long list of places he wants to go? Each one by themselves certainly isn't impossible, but it is still a long list. Now again, unless you are a multi millionaire or multi billionaire, it would seem to me your budget matters.

See this is why you cant understand me on other issues.

NOBODY IS TELLING HIM NO. The only thing I was telling him was THINK about what it would take and don't bite off more than you can handle.

Your bullshit delusional sense of entitlement is the problem, not your desire to do ANYTHING.

Earmuffs wants to travel. GOOD, great. But planning matters, budget matters.

Now keep re reading this, look at that list in his OP, and try to calculate yourself on your own the total cost to accomplish all that. Otherwise you are simply blowing smoke up my ass.

And the other thing you are NOT taking into account, is if you have the money short term, if you spend all of it just to do that, what fucking good does it do you even if you could, once you get back if you have no money to survive once you complete that.

NOBODY IS TELLING EARMUFFS NO, the only thing I was saying is it seems like alot, and it seems like far more than an average middle class income could handle in a lifetime. Each of those places as individual trips are certainly not impossible and far more realistic as individual trips. Maybe even 4 or 5 spread out over a lifetime. But only a multi millionaire or multi billionaire could afford to do that in say 6 moths or a year or even two years.

Your bullshit "just do it" if he took your advice would have him end up broke out in the middle of nowhere.