Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 05:21 PM
RE: Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
(07-05-2017 04:16 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 01:38 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Brian you sound like a pussy! Just because you don't have the sac to do it doesn't mean he doesn't.

What the fuck does gender or bravery have to do with shit?

Human history is full of false perceptions.

Earmuffs ultimately will do what he wants. I was merely judging his list and guessing that it seems to be a stretch. I doubt he is a multi millionaire or multi billionaire.

Do you want Earmuffs to end up in a foreign land and suddenly get robbed or run out of money and not be able to get home?

It isn't about testosterone. It is about THINKING and planning.

I am glad those who ran our space program didn't think like you, we would have never landed on the moon.

"Just do it" is shallow bullshit. I can jump off a skyscraper too, but that doesn't make me a safe thrill seeker, it would make me suicidal and fucking stupid.

There is money involved with what he wants to do. To ignore that, and to ignore geography and social unrest and climate of where you want to go, is stupid. Planing and budget is required.

NOBODY is saying dont do it. How and when and planning and budget insure a better outcome.

I put my suggestions down as someone who has traveled extensively. All your shit about millionaire and billionaire and planning space travel...

Here's how it works. You have so much cash and/or credit. You stretch it out the best you can. You don't let it go so low you can't get home. I personally started figuring on how to get back home (and to work) when I got down to about a grand. Some want more of a cushion, some less. The assumption is he knows that he doesn't want to hit dead broke in the middle of wherever and if he runs through his money he'll have to change his plans accordingly. You're basically acting like everyone doesn't know that. They do. We can start with certain assumptions. That he understands he'll need a budget is one of them.

Gender and bravery? Trying to take apart my criticism by being overly literal about makes you sound like a pussy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
(07-05-2017 04:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 03:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Shut up Brian.

I don't care about our previous encounter...because I have come to realize it's just who, and how, you are.

How I am?

Please, after railing against me, even after I admitted I was wrong, and you said "you don't know me" and I admitted I didn't have all the information about your situation, now you think you know me?

AGAIN, this thread is NOT about you or me. I am merely taking Earmuff's initial OP where he lists all the places he wants to go, and thinking that is alot financially. I don't think that is something you simply do.

Please tell me how I am since you know me. Seems you are making the very mistake you accused me of.

WITH this thread, I am strictly considering his original post the long list of his desired destinations, which individually are NOT impossible. Collectively speaking the math and money required seems to be a tall order for most.

I am sorry about the other thread, and I was wrong. But this thread is not about you or me now.

How about this...I won't talk to you and you don't talk to me. Ever.

Now please do shut up.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
(07-05-2017 05:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 04:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  How I am?

Please, after railing against me, even after I admitted I was wrong, and you said "you don't know me" and I admitted I didn't have all the information about your situation, now you think you know me?

AGAIN, this thread is NOT about you or me. I am merely taking Earmuff's initial OP where he lists all the places he wants to go, and thinking that is alot financially. I don't think that is something you simply do.

Please tell me how I am since you know me. Seems you are making the very mistake you accused me of.

WITH this thread, I am strictly considering his original post the long list of his desired destinations, which individually are NOT impossible. Collectively speaking the math and money required seems to be a tall order for most.

I am sorry about the other thread, and I was wrong. But this thread is not about you or me now.

How about this...I won't talk to you and you don't talk to me. Ever.

Now please do shut up.

I have decided not to reply to him for a while. He badgers me and is verbally abusive. It's almost like is purposely trying to provoke me.

When he goes low I go high. That's what I'm doing.
07-05-2017, 06:16 PM
If it's something you've thought about for a long time and something you really want to do, I say plan it and go for it. Live your dreams, no regrets.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Why the Vatican? Just curious.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-05-2017, 08:29 PM
(07-05-2017 05:21 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 04:16 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  What the fuck does gender or bravery have to do with shit?

Human history is full of false perceptions.

Earmuffs ultimately will do what he wants. I was merely judging his list and guessing that it seems to be a stretch. I doubt he is a multi millionaire or multi billionaire.

Do you want Earmuffs to end up in a foreign land and suddenly get robbed or run out of money and not be able to get home?

It isn't about testosterone. It is about THINKING and planning.

I am glad those who ran our space program didn't think like you, we would have never landed on the moon.

"Just do it" is shallow bullshit. I can jump off a skyscraper too, but that doesn't make me a safe thrill seeker, it would make me suicidal and fucking stupid.

There is money involved with what he wants to do. To ignore that, and to ignore geography and social unrest and climate of where you want to go, is stupid. Planing and budget is required.

NOBODY is saying dont do it. How and when and planning and budget insure a better outcome.

I put my suggestions down as someone who has traveled extensively. All your shit about millionaire and billionaire and planning space travel...

Here's how it works. You have so much cash and/or credit. You stretch it out the best you can. You don't let it go so low you can't get home. I personally started figuring on how to get back home (and to work) when I got down to about a grand. Some want more of a cushion, some less. The assumption is he knows that he doesn't want to hit dead broke in the middle of wherever and if he runs through his money he'll have to change his plans accordingly. You're basically acting like everyone doesn't know that. They do. We can start with certain assumptions. That he understands he'll need a budget is one of them.

Gender and bravery? Trying to take apart my criticism by being overly literal about makes you sound like a pussy.

Please explain to me what a vagina or penis has to do with my taking his initial post at face value?

The question he asked was if he, A QUESTION HE ASKED, not me, is if this was reasonable. BASED upon the OP, I responded.

His own title admits the long shot "Ok, this is going to sound rediculous"

Now everyone is getting pissed at me for saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

You guys are reacting in the same kneejerk fashion all the Star Trek fans went ape shit over the NASA article about the plausibility of the "WARP DRIVE" as depicted in the si fi TV show.

NASA did say on paper the theory was "technically" plausible, but ONLY ON PAPER, they also said, in reality pragmatically the energy required would be beyond what we could generate.

Again, stop getting pissed at me for a thread I didn't start. He asked his opinion and I gave him my answer. None of what I argued said "Never travel ever".

All I said was plan and budget and don't bite off more than you can handle financially.

It is a long list, but just because all those places exist in reality does not make it pragmatic financially to make a sudden go of it all in one shot.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 08:31 PM
(07-05-2017 08:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why the Vatican? Just curious.

Well I figured, if I'm in Rome why not go to the Vatican?
It's another country I can say I've been too and it has great historical significance (most of the reason for going to Europe is to see historically related things). Plus, just because I'm an Atheist doesn't mean I don't wanna see the Pope. Tongue
Figured I'd go and knock and see if he's home.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
(07-05-2017 08:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 08:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why the Vatican? Just curious.

Well I figured, if I'm in Rome why not go to the Vatican?
It's another country I can say I've been too and it has great historical significance (most of the reason for going to Europe is to see historically related things). Plus, just because I'm an Atheist doesn't mean I don't wanna see the Pope. Tongue

Nobody is saying you shouldn't. I was merely going by the long bucket list in your original post and thinking what it would take to do all that.

It is funny but my mom always bugged me about gulping huge amounts and swallowing huge bites without chewing. That was my only point in my response to your thread. I never implied or said you shouldn't travel at all.

Your long list seems like a lot. Wanting to do it does not mean you have the means to to it, and coming up with the means first is the only thing that can increase your chances of getting through it with minimal conflict.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 08:58 PM
(07-05-2017 08:40 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 08:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well I figured, if I'm in Rome why not go to the Vatican?

Nobody is saying you shouldn't. I was merely going by the long bucket list in your original post and thinking what it would take to do all that.

It is funny but my mom always bugged me about gulping huge amounts and swallowing huge bites without chewing. That was my only point in my response to your thread. I never implied or said you shouldn't travel at all.

Your long list seems like a lot. Wanting to do it does not mean you have the means to to it, and coming up with the means first is the only thing that can increase your chances of getting through it with minimal conflict.

I know, that's why I said this could happen at the earliest 2019. Because that's when my lease runs out and I would have paid off my debt (long before than but still, the point is I'll have zero bills). It would also give me a year's savings, around $10K, in which to do this.

I think you're thinking about if you were to go to these places as a tourist, do the whole tourist thing and stay in hotels and go on tours etc... If you go to a travel agent to go to some of these places they'll sell you package that does all these things for several thousand dollars. I don't wanna do that. I'm not planning on staying in expensive hotels, or eating at fancy restaurants or going on tour buses etc.. I just wanna ride around, stay at backpackers or camp out, eat wherever and see the sights as I go and maybe if something tickles my fancy go do it (like I defiantly wanna see the Great Wall when I go to Beijing. But again I can save money by riding out to it myself instead of going on an expensive tourist tour).

I certainly respect your concerns but I think you're underestimating how cheap I can be and how cheap this can done. Of course, if it's far more expensive than I thought worst case scenario I go from Singapore and only make it to Hanoi and see Southern Asia. That's still a hell of trip abroad in its own regards (and why I wanna start in Asia because I'd rather see Asia than Europe).

I'm a sensible person, I'm always going to have money for flights home. Me running out of money would not include running out of money for flights home. I think that's where a lot of travelings get into trouble and I have no sympathy for those idiots (it happens here a lot).
08-05-2017, 08:21 AM
(07-05-2017 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
I wanna know if it's even possible. And how ridiculously expensive it might be, if anyone has any idea.

Are you kidding me? All that way and you're not going to visit my favourite city? You got something against Parisians? RACIST!!

And what about Barcelona!

Anyway...

It's possible with good planning.

:rolls up sleeves:

There's an exercise I use in class for designing services which involves planning a 4-month trip for 4 people covering all the Aussie states/territories.

One approach is to start with a budget and see what you can do within that and another approach is to decide what you want to achieve and then total up the budget from that plan and add some extra for contingency (which will be more expensive, obviously).

The compromise alternative is to do the second one and then subtract activities until you get to the first budget.

Given that you already have your overall road-map (although the route-map still needs to be determined), you can start by focusing on first 'availability' of services (the 'what') and then 'capacity' of services (the 'how many') and then drill down to 'component' level i.e...

Step 1: What services need to be available to you?
Step 2: How many of those services need to be available to you?
Step 3: What components need to be available to you?
Step 4: How many of those components need to be available to you?

Example:
Step 1:
a) Accommodation
b) Transportation
c) Navigation
d) Hygiene
e) Finance
f) Entertainment (nudge nudge wink wink)
g) Rest stops / toilet stops (could be the same as petrol stops)
etc.

Step 2:
a) Accommodation... How many overnight stops?
b) Transportation... How many legs of the journey and what will be the optimal choice of transport?
etc.

Step 3:
a) Accommodation components ... tent/sleeping bag, hostels, Airbnb etc.
b) Transportation components ... bike; ferry, train etc. depending on the route.
Question: can the bike be taken on the train or will it be better to sell the bike in Beijing and buy a new one in Moscow? Can this be arranged in advance?
Petrol
Maintenance contract (bike repairs)
etc.

Step 4:
a) Accommodation components ... nn nights in the tent; nn nights in a hostel etc.
b) Transportation components ... 1 x bike (or 2 if selling/buying); n x essential bike spare parts; 2 x ferry, 2 x train etc.
etc.

For Step 4, you're essentially working out what stuff you need to get along the way, what stuff you can arrange in advance and what stuff you need to carry with you. And for that latter group, you might have to consider secure storage and maybe even a sidecar(?).

For entertainment (e.g. concerts), accommodation (e.g. airbnb), and train tickets etc. some might need to be booked / arranged / purchased in advance.

Check out each area for events that a) you might like to go to and b) that might effect traffic e.g. some parts of France are fucked when the Tour de France is happening.

Once you have planned for Availability and Capacity, the next two topics are Continuity (i.e. contingency planning... 'what if it goes wrong?') and Security (access and safety):
For Continuity, consider e.g. medical insurance; backup credit card(s) if lost or stolen; first aid kit; alternative routes if there's a transport strike etc.
For Security, consider 'access' i.e. visas, and also personal safety e.g. martial arts training and general fitness.

Then you can estimate the budget.

For food, remember to check out where the locals go, i.e. the good, cheap restaurants (you'll get sick of supermarket food pretty quick and if you're not a pussy, you'll want to experience local food).

Oh and I nearly forgot... if you let me know the dates, I can ask the girls if they have a spare room/floor space in Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, Singapore and of course, I can play host in KL.

Keep a record as you go.

[Image: quote-keep-a-diary-and-one-day-it-ll-kee...302543.jpg]

And don't forget your towel!

[Image: TowelDay.jpg]
[Image: the-guide-on-towels.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post