Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: Ok, this is gonna sound ridiculous but is this even possible?
Quote:Are you kidding me? All that way and you're not going to visit my favorite city? You got something against Parisians? RACIST!!

And what about Barcelona!

I don't have much interest in France. My primary focus regarding Europe is Italy. I really wanna see Italy more so than any other European country, Rome, Venice and the Vatican to exact. Russia (particularly St Petersburg) and Scandanavia are a close second followed by Netherlands.

I would like to go to Spain, maybe even down to Morocco (though if I do that I might not stop and end up paying morondog a visit.), but it's sorta out of the way.
Rome - Florence - Genoa - Monaco (would really love to go to Monaco actually, I'm gonna retire there when I'm a billionaire and old) - Barcelona - Andora - Toulouse - Geneva - Bern - Zurich etc..

I dunno, something to consider. Depends on money, Europe is obviously alot more expensive than South Asia.

Quote:It's possible with good planning.

:rolls up sleeves:

There's an exercise I use in class for designing services which involves planning a 4-month trip for 4 people covering all the Aussie states/territories.

One approach is to start with a budget and see what you can do within that and another other approach is to decide what you want to achieve and then total up the budget from that plan and add some extra for contingency (which will be more expensive, obviously).

The compromise alternative is to do the second one and then subtract activities until you get to the first budget.

Given that you already have your overall road-map (although the route-map still needs to be determined), you can start by focusing on first 'availability' of services (the 'what') and then 'capacity' of services (the 'how many') and then drill down to 'component' level i.e...

Step 1: What services need to be available to you?
Step 2: How many of those services need to be available to you?
Step 3: What components need to be available to you?
Step 2: How many of those components need to be available to you?

Example:
Step 1:
a) Accommodation
b) Transportation
c) Navigation
d) Hygiene
e) Finance
f) Entertainment (nudge nudge wink wink)
g) Rest stops / toilet stops (could be the same as petrol stops)
etc.

Step 2:
a) Accommodation... How many overnight stops?
b) Transportation... How many legs of the journey and what will be the optimal choice of transport?
etc.

Step 3:
a) Accommodation components ... tent/sleeping bag, hostels, Airbnb etc.
b) Transportation components ... bike; ferry, train etc. depending on the route.
Question: can the bike be taken on the train or will it be better to sell the bike in Beijing and buy a new one in Moscow? Can this be arranged in advance?
Petrol
Maintenance contract (bike repairs)
etc.

Step 4:
a) Accommodation components ... nn nights in the tent; nn nights in a hostel etc.
b) Transportation components ... 1 x bike (or 2 if selling/buying); n x essential bike spare parts; 2 x ferry, 2 x train etc.
etc.

For Step 4, you're essentially working out what stuff you need to get along the way, what stuff you can arrange in advance and what stuff you need to carry with you. And for that latter group, you might have to consider secure storage and maybe even a sidecar(?).

For entertainment (e.g. concerts), accommodation (e.g. airbnb), and train tickets etc. some might need to be booked / arranged / purchased in advance.

Check out each area for events that a) you might like to go to and b) that might effect traffic e.g. some parts of France are fucked when the Tour de France is happening.

Once you have planned for Availability and Capacity, the next two topics are Continuity (i.e. contingency planning... 'what if it goes wrong?') and Security (access and safety):
For Continuity, consider e.g. medical insurance; backup credit card(s) if lost or stolen; first aid kit; alternative routes if there's a transport strike etc.
For Security, consider 'access' i.e. visas, and also personal safety e.g. martial arts training and general fitness.

Then you can estimate the budget.

That's all good advice thank you.
The trick is defiantly going to be breaking it down into smaller and smaller chunks. Planning each leg. And some of that certainly never crossed my mind.

Also I dunno if I can take the bike on the train, I guess I just assumed they would allow it. Certainly have to look into it though.

Quote:For food, remember to check out where the locals go, i.e. the good, cheap restaurants (you'll get sick of supermarket food pretty quick and if you're not a pussy, you'll want to experience local food).

I absolutely wanna try the local food. Especially street food and from markets and the like. I'll try tarantulas if the opportunity arose. Smile
I aint eatting those fertalized rotten black eggs though, that aint fucking happening.

Quote:Oh and I nearly forgot... if you let me know the dates, I can ask the girls if they a spare room/floor space in Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, Singapore and of course, I can play host in KL.

That'll be awesome thank you. Accommodation will certainly be a big expense so any penny I can save especially in cities like Singapore will be awesome. I imagine Singapore police frown upon foreigners setting up camp in the middle of that new park thing they have with those big weird mushroom-like structures.

Quote:Keep a record as you go.

Absolutely.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-05-2017, 09:11 AM
(08-05-2017 08:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And don't forget your towel!

[Image: TowelDay.jpg]
[Image: the-guide-on-towels.jpg]

ThumbsupLaugh out load
08-05-2017, 09:45 AM
(08-05-2017 08:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Anyway...

It's possible with good planning.

Think I'll just hire you.

#sigh
08-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Man on a l tour like this, you betta leave your "pussy" (ness) at home!

You have to be odd to be #1.
08-05-2017, 11:21 AM
As the overprotective mom of a globetrotting son (Australia at 16, Russia at 19, 21 countries in Europe last year, and currently backpacking solo through South America), I say... GO FOR IT.

However, research, research, research: you'll have much more fun if you do!

Check out the Lonely Planet series, and others like it, to get some good advice. Talk to people who've done it (or tried to.). Talk to travel agents. Speak to people at the embassies of the countries you want to visit.
You've got lots of time, so there's no excuse.

If you haven't travelled extensively before, you might want to start off with a trip to an area closer to you but with a different culture so that you get an idea of how you react to culture shock (yes, it can happen to the best of us: like altitude sickness, you can prepare but there's no real way to know how you'll react).
You'll also gain a better understanding of what you really need on your mega-trip (pro tip: half the clothes and twice the money), and how long you want to be away from home (don't laugh: homesickness is a thing)

It's surprising how little some things cost in some places, and how you can save money when you have time. My son just spent a week in the Galapagos Islands, a typically super expensive place to visit. He saw everything he wanted to see, for well under $US1000 because he was patient and wasn't in a rush, stayed in great hostels, waited for a last-minute tour, and researched everything well ahead of time. Same idea for Machu Picchu.

There are few things that teach you more about yourself than travel: as they say in French, Le voyage forme la jeunesse (Travel shapes youth). You're bound to meet new people, get outside your comfort zone in more ways than one, develop flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, courage and open-mindedness. And in an increasingly globalized world, it's becoming a sought-after skill that looks good on a CV.

So brush up on your geography, history, visa requirements and language skills: do your homework. Once you get into it, planning will be half the fun.
Travel safe and HAVE FUN!

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
12-05-2017, 07:36 AM
(08-05-2017 09:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Are you kidding me? All that way and you're not going to visit my favorite city? You got something against Parisians? RACIST!!

And what about Barcelona!

I don't have much interest in France. My primary focus regarding Europe is Italy. I really wanna see Italy more so than any other European country, Rome, Venice and the Vatican to exact. Russia (particularly St Petersburg) and Scandanavia are a close second followed by Netherlands.

I would like to go to Spain, maybe even down to Morocco (though if I do that I might not stop and end up paying morondog a visit.), but it's sorta out of the way.
Rome - Florence - Genoa - Monaco (would really love to go to Monaco actually, I'm gonna retire there when I'm a billionaire and old) - Barcelona - Andora - Toulouse - Geneva - Bern - Zurich etc..

I dunno, something to consider. Depends on money, Europe is obviously alot more expensive than South Asia.

Quote:It's possible with good planning.

There's an exercise I use in class for designing services which involves planning a 4-month trip for 4 people covering all the Aussie states/territories.

One approach is to start with a budget and see what you can do within that and another other approach is to decide what you want to achieve and then total up the budget from that plan and add some extra for contingency (which will be more expensive, obviously).

The compromise alternative is to do the second one and then subtract activities until you get to the first budget.

Given that you already have your overall road-map (although the route-map still needs to be determined), you can start by focusing on first 'availability' of services (the 'what') and then 'capacity' of services (the 'how many') and then drill down to 'component' level i.e...

Step 1: What services need to be available to you?
Step 2: How many of those services need to be available to you?
Step 3: What components need to be available to you?
Step 2: How many of those components need to be available to you?

Example:
Step 1:
a) Accommodation
b) Transportation
c) Navigation
d) Hygiene
e) Finance
f) Entertainment (nudge nudge wink wink)
g) Rest stops / toilet stops (could be the same as petrol stops)
etc.

Step 2:
a) Accommodation... How many overnight stops?
b) Transportation... How many legs of the journey and what will be the optimal choice of transport?
etc.

Step 3:
a) Accommodation components ... tent/sleeping bag, hostels, Airbnb etc.
b) Transportation components ... bike; ferry, train etc. depending on the route.
Question: can the bike be taken on the train or will it be better to sell the bike in Beijing and buy a new one in Moscow? Can this be arranged in advance?
Petrol
Maintenance contract (bike repairs)
etc.

Step 4:
a) Accommodation components ... nn nights in the tent; nn nights in a hostel etc.
b) Transportation components ... 1 x bike (or 2 if selling/buying); n x essential bike spare parts; 2 x ferry, 2 x train etc.
etc.

For Step 4, you're essentially working out what stuff you need to get along the way, what stuff you can arrange in advance and what stuff you need to carry with you. And for that latter group, you might have to consider secure storage and maybe even a sidecar(?).

For entertainment (e.g. concerts), accommodation (e.g. airbnb), and train tickets etc. some might need to be booked / arranged / purchased in advance.

Check out each area for events that a) you might like to go to and b) that might effect traffic e.g. some parts of France are fucked when the Tour de France is happening.

Once you have planned for Availability and Capacity, the next two topics are Continuity (i.e. contingency planning... 'what if it goes wrong?') and Security (access and safety):
For Continuity, consider e.g. medical insurance; backup credit card(s) if lost or stolen; first aid kit; alternative routes if there's a transport strike etc.
For Security, consider 'access' i.e. visas, and also personal safety e.g. martial arts training and general fitness.

Then you can estimate the budget.

That's all good advice thank you.
The trick is defiantly going to be breaking it down into smaller and smaller chunks. Planning each leg. And some of that certainly never crossed my mind.

Also I dunno if I can take the bike on the train, I guess I just assumed they would allow it. Certainly have to look into it though.

Quote:For food, remember to check out where the locals go, i.e. the good, cheap restaurants (you'll get sick of supermarket food pretty quick and if you're not a pussy, you'll want to experience local food).

I absolutely wanna try the local food. Especially street food and from markets and the like. I'll try tarantulas if the opportunity arose. Smile
I aint eatting those fertalized rotten black eggs though, that aint fucking happening.

Quote:Oh and I nearly forgot... if you let me know the dates, I can ask the girls if they a spare room/floor space in Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, Singapore and of course, I can play host in KL.

That'll be awesome thank you. Accommodation will certainly be a big expense so any penny I can save especially in cities like Singapore will be awesome. I imagine Singapore police frown upon foreigners setting up camp in the middle of that new park thing they have with those big weird mushroom-like structures.

Quote:Keep a record as you go.

Absolutely.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it in the thread already, when my wife and I go on vacation we always get surprised by museum and tour expenses, I'm sure it would have some sort of admission fees to tour a lot of these famous places. They can add up...

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Too bad about North Korea.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
02-06-2017, 01:02 AM
I've done quite a bit of traveling in the United States by car and by motorcycle. A rule of thumb I've developed is that travel by car costs $1.00 U.S. per mile for three to four people. That includes the cost of fuel, food, lodging and assumes an average of two out of three days on the road. It does not cover depreciation of the vehicle.

Traveling alone by motorcycle and staying at campgrounds seems to cut the cost in half.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
07-06-2017, 04:43 AM
i'd say that it's dangerous and you need to plan everything very careful
07-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Camping would definitely cut costs but being on a motorcycle would drastically the amount of gear you have.