Okay, I want to try this thread again. What should I read next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to decide what I want to read next.
So, thus far my favorite book that I have read this year (out of the 3 I have read and probably dozen I have attempted to read) has been The Wasp Factory, and Story Of The Eye.

The Wasp Factory is a relentlessly surreal book, that involves a lot of bizarre thinking and actions and questionable moral behavior of the main character. It's a book that I read and felt like I was going somewhere else, to a different mindset and a different world. I like that feeling of escape. That's the same feeling of escape I felt when I read story of the eye. I read half way through story of the eye. I stopped reading it because it threatened to get redundant. For those of you that don't know, story of the eye is basically a story about a couple that pursues their sexual fantasies, which are very very kinky. It's almost a trance inducing book, which left me feeling more relaxed and comfortable than any book I have read before.

So, with that being said, I'm not sure where I should go next. I was thinking about attempting to read some surreal books, like maybe house of leaves. Or maybe try to find something else with an extremely transgressive theme, like maybe a Chuck Palahniuk book (except I'm not sure how a book about getting sexually excited over car crashes sounds very interesting). Maybe a book about being horribly tortured, or held captive or escaping from somewhere, or a first hand account of a child being abused like A Child Called It? I love stories of war, or horrible suffering. Maybe if there's a book where the main character feels they're going insane. Or, something with a very bad main character, or a very innocent main character who gets into some fucked up shit.

Sexual nature of these books isn't required, but it is APPRECIATED. Literally nothing is too repelling for me, in fact I welcome that sort of feeling so I can test how disgusted, or repulsed, or morally challenged I can feel. I'm just not sure what I can read next, it's been a while since I've read another book and I hated Brave New World.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 02:12 PM
RE: I'm trying to decide what I want to read next.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Knew-Infin...0671750615

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-05-2016, 02:12 PM
(17-05-2016 02:07 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  So, thus far my favorite book that I have read this year (out of the 3 I have read and probably dozen I have attempted to read) has been The Wasp Factory, and Story Of The Eye.

The Wasp Factory is a relentlessly surreal book, that involves a lot of bizarre thinking and actions and questionable moral behavior of the main character. It's a book that I read and felt like I was going somewhere else, to a different mindset and a different world. I like that feeling of escape. That's the same feeling of escape I felt when I read story of the eye. I read half way through story of the eye. I stopped reading it because it threatened to get redundant. For those of you that don't know, story of the eye is basically a story about a couple that pursues their sexual fantasies, which are very very kinky. It's almost a trance inducing book, which left me feeling more relaxed and comfortable than any book I have read before.

So, with that being said, I'm not sure where I should go next. I was thinking about attempting to read some surreal books, like maybe house of leaves. Or maybe try to find something else with an extremely transgressive theme, like maybe a Chuck Palahniuk book (except I'm not sure how a book about getting sexually excited over car crashes sounds very interesting). Maybe a book about being horribly tortured, or held captive or escaping from somewhere, or a first hand account of a child being abused like A Child Called It? I love stories of war, or horrible suffering. Maybe if there's a book where the main character feels they're going insane. Or, something with a very bad main character, or a very innocent main character who gets into some fucked up shit.

Sexual nature of these books isn't required, but it is APPRECIATED. Literally nothing is too repelling for me, in fact I welcome that sort of feeling so I can test how disgusted, or repulsed, or morally challenged I can feel. I'm just not sure what I can read next, it's been a while since I've read another book and I hated Brave New World.

I am into a book at present called Lost and Found. What is different about it is that it is mainly told from the viewpoint if the dog. I download the freebies from Barnes and Noble, and that is where I found this great read.
17-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Have you tried A Clockwork Orange? It's got a bizarre style but I think it's worth a read.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
17-05-2016, 02:51 PM
(17-05-2016 02:24 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Have you tried A Clockwork Orange? It's got a bizarre style but I think it's worth a read.
I already watched the movie.
17-05-2016, 03:06 PM
(17-05-2016 02:51 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 02:24 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Have you tried A Clockwork Orange? It's got a bizarre style but I think it's worth a read.
I already watched the movie.

The book is better, but if you don't care for Huxley I doubt Burgess is your cup of tea, (plenty of sex and violence). Maybe try American Psycho by Ellis.
17-05-2016, 03:08 PM
(17-05-2016 03:06 PM)julep Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 02:51 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I already watched the movie.

The book is better, but if you don't care for Huxley I doubt Burgess is your cup of tea, (plenty of sex and violence). Maybe try American Psycho by Ellis.
I saw that movie too.
17-05-2016, 03:19 PM
As i said in the other post I have a tuff time getting myself to read. But this book I had a hard time putting down.

The Psychopath Test

[Image: 12391521.jpg]

It's the authors journey threw the mental care industry. The people he runs into are truly amazing. It changed my perspective on how I view people.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
17-05-2016, 03:25 PM
(17-05-2016 03:08 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 03:06 PM)julep Wrote:  The book is better, but if you don't care for Huxley I doubt Burgess is your cup of tea, (plenty of sex and violence). Maybe try American Psycho by Ellis.
I saw that movie too.

Don't let that stop you from reading the book, though. In my experience, when a movie is made from a book, the book is almost always better -- and certainly a different kind of experience. A Clockwork Orange is one of the few cases where the movie and book are equally good, but in different ways. That may have something to do with Kubrick being a greater artist than most film directors.

As for stories about someone going insane, you can try I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (don't remember the author, but this one is more about someone recovering from insanity) or Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. Also maybe Guy de Maupassant's The Horla, although that's a short story, not a book. You never really know whether the guy is losing his mind or being tormented by a real horror. Great story either way.

If you can find a copy of Ernest Hemingway's In Our Time, that has a lot of violence as well as insanity. It's a book of short stories, but they are somewhat related to each other thematically, and easier to read than a novel. I could go on and on, but try those.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
19-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Okay, I want to try this thread again. What should I read next?
I'll try to keep this brief. My favorite books that I can remember, have been dark. They've been psychological and they've involved a character who is either crazy, or has some crazy things happen to them.

The burn journals: a book about a kid who sets himself on fire and accounts his stay in the hospital for 2 years

a child called it: I read this when I was in middle school, it's a real first hand account of a kid who's mother abused him in horrific ways.

the wasp factory: a first person fiction which is extremely strange, also extremely morality bending and bizarre, the narrator is extremely sadistic, psychopathic, also has an extremely bizarre life and does extremely bizarre rituals. This is probably my favorite book I have ever read.

in the miso soup: a book about a tour guide in the sleezy part of tokyo who gets a tourist who he suspects may be a serial killer. It's an extremely psychological book which seems to have you caught up in mind games.

I've been trying to read other books and I'm not quite sure what to read, but these are some books which I have enjoyed reading. I've read the first two when I was very young, but they left a lasting impression on me. I read the last two just this year.

I am a big fan of all sorts of movies and unfortunately a lot of the movies that were also great books, I will not read because I don't want to read a book based on a movie I have already seen. So, discount the shining and a clockwork orange and stuff like that, please. Thank you.