Okay, I want to try this thread again. What should I read next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: Okay, I want to try this thread again. What should I read next?
If you like post-apocalyptic sci-fi, I can recommend The Tripods by John Christopher.

If you're into medieval fantasy, I can recommend The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart, Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Thud!, Going Postal, Making Money and Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett.

If you're into historical novels, I can recommend Death and the Devil by Frank Sch├Ątzing.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 04:08 PM
If you're going to hang out on this forum - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is almost required reading.............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-05-2016, 04:34 PM
(19-05-2016 03:34 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I am a big fan of all sorts of movies and unfortunately a lot of the movies that were also great books, I will not read because I don't want to read a book based on a movie I have already seen. So, discount the shining and a clockwork orange and stuff like that, please. Thank you.

Uhhh... maybe you didn't mean it quite the way you wrote it, but none of the books you mention were "based on the movie". The books came first, and then the movies were based on the books. Just wanted to clear up that point of confusion. It's too bad that you will never read those great books because you think the movies said all there is to say...
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
19-05-2016, 04:43 PM
(19-05-2016 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 03:34 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I am a big fan of all sorts of movies and unfortunately a lot of the movies that were also great books, I will not read because I don't want to read a book based on a movie I have already seen. So, discount the shining and a clockwork orange and stuff like that, please. Thank you.

Uhhh... maybe you didn't mean it quite the way you wrote it, but none of the books you mention were "based on the movie". The books came first, and then the movies were based on the books. Just wanted to clear up that point of confusion. It's too bad that you will never read those great books because you think the movies said all there is to say...
it was a typo, sorry.
19-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Threads Merged
19-05-2016, 05:27 PM
idk... uh.h.... The Trial

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 05:29 PM
(19-05-2016 04:43 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Uhhh... maybe you didn't mean it quite the way you wrote it, but none of the books you mention were "based on the movie". The books came first, and then the movies were based on the books. Just wanted to clear up that point of confusion. It's too bad that you will never read those great books because you think the movies said all there is to say...
it was a typo, sorry.

Nope.

T'was a thinko.

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2016, 12:09 AM
*crashes thread*

Naruto is in hella filler mode. Like a year of filler. I'm considering reading the manga from the beginning, so I can see how the author originally presented the story.

That does relate though. I usually don't read manga, because I much prefer the multi-sensory experience of watching anime. But at times the story ONLY finishes in the manga, so I have to read it if I want to continue. From what I've experienced, the stories are better told and more elaborate in the manga than anime.

I suspect books to movies might be much more extreme than manga to anime. Reason being-- manga already contains pictures, and the content can transfer over without much loss (usually) because anime can be as long as they need to be to cover the material. However a book might have a good 5 hours of content (or 10 or 20), but due to industry standards the story will be clipped into a 90-200 minute movie. Material will get cut, characters won't get developed, or some even left out. The book has the story that the author had in mind. It could prove to be a completely different experience than the movie. It's probably worth a try.

Try reading Les Miserables and compare it to the movie (don't actually, it's hella long). I watched a 24 hour anime series of Les miserables, and not even that had enough time to cover all the content. The movie doesn't do the story justice compared to the anime, IMO. So imagining how the book has even more is an interesting thought.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.