Okay so now I'm not angry at God now what?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2015, 10:11 PM
I been angry at God for 4 years and now I'm not angry. I'm as happy as can be. I've been doing research about religion and the Big Bang hoping to get answers of gods existence. I watched a wonderful documentary about the Big Bang and Stephen Hawking narrated it. He then got me thinking and I kept on researching. What he said in the documentary made a whole lot of sense! He said something a long the lines of there was no time for God to create the earth because there was no time. I think he also said that before the Big Bang there was no God. It made a whole lot of sense to me and he just made me think.

So now I'm like okay I found out my answer. Then I research religion and find out it was made to control the masses. Okay so I found that out.

My point is I still don't want to pursue this religion anymore. But I still question why I don't want to believe anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
12-12-2015, 11:39 PM
RE: Okay so now I'm not angry at God now what?
Were you angry with Santa when you found out he was bullshit?

(You should be angry with the people who lied to you.)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 8 users Like Minimalist's post
12-12-2015, 11:55 PM
I think anger at learning you were lied to is a common and understandable response to have. I felt the same way when I realized everything I was told was a big fat lie. I was never angry with my parents because they were taught what I was taught about God and Jesus. I was never angry at God because like Min said, it would be like being mad at Santa. I was angry at the church. I was angry at the writers of the OT and the NT. I was angry that people bought all this bullshit without investigating it further, which just perpetuated said bullshit.

I'm not sure why you are questioning why you don't want to believe if you realized it was all lies?
12-12-2015, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 03:47 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(12-12-2015 10:11 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  My point is I still don't want to pursue this religion anymore. But I still question why I don't want to believe anymore.

Either you believe or you do not, 'belief' is operant condition determined by your current knowledge. Now you may or may not desire to again hold beliefs you once held dear, and that may get you to pretend or profess such a belief ('fake it till you make it'), but that won't actually change your beliefs without the addition of new information or reinterpretation of your current information. People certainly can contort their logic and perform feats of mental gymnastics in the pursuit of maintaining a belief against encroaching falsification, but even that is done as a way of limiting or mitigating knowledge that conflict with beliefs they desire to maintain.

It can be argued that we're hard-wired to desire answers, closure, and understanding; so much so that we'll often accept the first answer given or make them up, even if they're not true. Not only that, but it's actually pretty hard for many of us to change our mind and accept a different answer, even if we accepted our initial one uncritically and we now can be reasonable certain that our accepted answer is no longer correct or accurate.

Religion is in many ways our first attempts at many things, such as cosmology, geology, history, medicine, and philosophy. But because it is our first, it is our worst. Everything that has come afterwards has been better at more accurately determining what is factually accurate, and religion is now clearly not a reliable path to determine what is factually accurate.

So if you still desire answers as a balm to cure the unease caused by uncertainty, and you also value that your answer be factually accurate, then religion will not get you sufficient answers. If however you just want your answers handed to you on a silver platter with little thought, all of the comfort of certainty with none of the intellectual legwork, then religion fills that niche quite nicely; unfortunately it leaves an uncritical mind open to abuse.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-12-2015, 12:04 AM
This would be a great time to go on a crime spree. Tongue
Now that you're past all the god stuff, you don't have to let it live in your head rent-free anymore. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
13-12-2015, 10:32 PM
(12-12-2015 11:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 10:11 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  My point is I still don't want to pursue this religion anymore. But I still question why I don't want to believe anymore.

Either you believe or you do not, 'belief' is operant condition determined by your current knowledge. Now you may or may not desire to again hold beliefs you once held dear, and that may get you to pretend or profess such a belief ('fake it till you make it'), but that won't actually change your beliefs without the addition of new information or reinterpretation of your current information. People certainly can contort their logic and perform feats of mental gymnastics in the pursuit of maintaining a belief against encroaching falsification, but even that is done as a way of limiting or mitigating knowledge that conflict with beliefs they desire to maintain.

It can be argued that we're hard-wired to desire answers, closure, and understanding; so much so that we'll often accept the first answer given or make them up, even if they're not true. Not only that, but it's actually pretty hard for many of us to change our mind and accept a different answer, even if we accepted our initial one uncritically and we now can be reasonable certain that our accepted answer is no longer correct or accurate.

Religion is in many ways our first attempts at many things, such as cosmology, geology, history, medicine, and philosophy. But because it is our first, it is our worst. Everything that has come afterwards has been better at more accurately determining what is factually accurate, and religion is now clearly not a reliable path to determine what is factually accurate.

So if you still desire answers as a balm to cure the unease caused by uncertainty, and you also value that your answer be factually accurate, then religion will not get you sufficient answers. If however you just want your answers handed to you on a silver platter with little thought, all of the comfort of certainty with none of the intellectual legwork, then religion fills that niche quite nicely; unfortunately it leaves an uncritical mind open to abuse.

How do I get closure from this religion? Tonight I just realized that God was not real. I been obsessing endlessly over this religion. I was in denial about it for so long. Then why is it hard for me to be upset over it? I got a bit emotional writing in my journal. I was writing that I was upset for wasting my time in the church and it made me upset for telling other people about this lie that is Christianity. It does bother me some but not like a whole lot. I would give it a 6 on the bothering scale. 6 being worse. Or maybe 7. Somewhere in there. I also proved to myself God wasn't real. I prayed that God would bring back my mother in her physical form. Not by a dream but in my waking life. He did not answer. My mom didn't come through the door at all. If God is all powerful couldn't he have brought back my mom? He brought Jesus back from the dead why not my mother? Because God is not real. I also realized that this religion cannot hurt me anymore. I don't know if that is a form of acceptance or what. I feel sorry for those who still believe. I hope that someday their God glasses come off.

Does anyone have any advice how I can stop obsessing over this religion? Im tired of always thinking about it. It eats at me and wears me out. Will it go away with time?
13-12-2015, 10:54 PM
(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Will it go away with time?

Yes. Keep learning. Keep thinking. It gets better.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-12-2015, 10:59 PM
I wasn't all that emotionally invested in religion so I can't say I obsessed about it. I think you'll get used to it though. An uncomfortable truth is always better than delusion.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
13-12-2015, 11:22 PM
It gets easy after a while. It might be that you're not angry at God. It could be the anger and disappointment, and God provides a focal point for that. But give it time. It's very similar to the grieving process.
14-12-2015, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 01:11 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  How do I get closure from this religion?

That is a good question, and being a life long unbeliever, it's one I unfortunately don't have an answer for.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Tonight I just realized that God was not real.

God is real in a sense, but he's nothing more than a concept. Is there actually an emotionally stunted invisible pan-dimensional space wizard out there fucking around with our world? No. There is no evidence in support of the actual existence of the supernatural, let alone the divine, as anything more than figments of our active imaginations.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I been obsessing endlessly over this religion. I was in denial about it for so long. Then why is it hard for me to be upset over it?

People are complicated.

When I was very little, I was a crying mess at the funeral for my grandfather. We were close, but I still had my grandma at the time. Years later I lost my grandma too, with whom I was much closer with, and yet I didn't cry at all at her funeral. It's not that her lose hurt any less (indeed her lose hurt more), but I just had a more robust coping mechanism in place built upon a few more years of life experience. Despite the pain, I simply wasn't as upset at her funeral.

Maybe you were farther along in your unbelief than you give yourself credit for, or you're better at internalizing the situation than you thought you'd be. There's only so much an uneducated layman can suggest.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I got a bit emotional writing in my journal. I was writing that I was upset for wasting my time in the church and it made me upset for telling other people about this lie that is Christianity. It does bother me some but not like a whole lot. I would give it a 6 on the bothering scale. 6 being worse. Or maybe 7. Somewhere in there.

That's good, it's a sign of empathy, of your awareness that you actions have consequences outside of yourself and caring how they affect others. Now knowing that you had a hand in perpetuating a terrible lie aught to make you feel guilty, because you're only human. You helped to perpetuate a lie, one with potentially dangerous and deadly implications. You realize this now, and being upset is only natural; upset for being lied to yourself and being an accessory to it's perpetuation.

But you're not a bad person just because you're not a sniveling wreck at this realization. Different people cope with and internalize things in different ways.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I also proved to myself God wasn't real. I prayed that God would bring back my mother in her physical form. Not by a dream but in my waking life. He did not answer. My mom didn't come through the door at all.

[Image: 200px-Prayer_logic.png]

It's a simple experiment, one open to easy falsification. The Bible tells you exactly how to pray and what to expect, and that experiment fails every time.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  If God is all powerful couldn't he have brought back my mom? He brought Jesus back from the dead why not my mother? Because God is not real.

Yes. But he did not bring her back, and not because he didn't care, but more simply because he doesn't exist.

Nonexistence, and not assuming the supernatural, has always been the simplest answer with the best explanatory power.

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I also realized that this religion cannot hurt me anymore. I don't know if that is a form of acceptance or what. I feel sorry for those who still believe. I hope that someday their God glasses come off.

Welcome to the club, please allow 2-3 weeks for shipping your membership card and secret decoder ring. Thumbsup

PS: Drink more Ovaltine.

[Image: eHa25zS.gif]
[Image: 5fjqEx4.gif]

(13-12-2015 10:32 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Does anyone have any advice how I can stop obsessing over this religion? Im tired of always thinking about it. It eats at me and wears me out. Will it go away with time?

I think a little distance will do you some good right now, and depending on where you live, that may be easier said than done. If you live in the US along either coast or in the north east, it's really easy to ignore religion as it's not nearly as publicly overt. But if you're stuck in the south or midwest and can't go five miles without passing a church or Jesus advertisement? Best of luck trying to ignore that shit.

That being said, knowing and understanding religion and the myths they're build upon is the best way to disarm their power. It's a rather common adage among atheists that actually reading The Bible is the fastest path to atheism. When you read it in it's entirety without a pastor or study group holding your hand and feeding you bullshit apologetics, the questions, contradictions, and atrocities quickly pile up and topple over. There's a reason why atheists, on average, know more about religion than typical practitioners know of their own faith (i.e. more atheists know that transubstantiation dictates that the wafers and wine are supposed to turn into actual flesh and blood during Communion, something most Catholics don't know about their own ritual).

So take a break, let yourself decompress; but it's not necessary to entirely avoid the topic. Indeed, if you plan on being honest with others with your new found unbelief, be prepared to be questioned about it; especially by others who are themselves believers or know of your former belief. The best thing you can eventually do is just be honest. You don't need to go around showing off your atheism and getting in people's faces about it, but just being an honest and open atheist is for the best in the long run. Look at the quick advances the LGBT community has made since they refused to be hidden away in the closet, once people had to acknowledge that they know and are related to people who do not fit into traditional binary gender roles and preferences, and they're not bad people. It's a hell of a lot harder to demonize the other when you can place a name and a face on it, especially that of a loved one.

But it's not a fight you need to have or go seeking, especially not so soon after freeing yourself from your former delusion. Take time to take your breath, decompress, internalize your emotions, and get everything in check. Once you're relatively comfortable again, I think you'll rather enjoy your new found intellectual freedom.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post