Okay so this happened

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: Okay so this happened
(12-04-2015 05:19 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Are we married to the same person Consider

My husband says atheism is a religion all the time. I've tried every single way of explaining it as I can.

Have you tried a hard slap upside his head? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 06:33 AM
(12-04-2015 05:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 05:19 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Are we married to the same person Consider

My husband says atheism is a religion all the time. I've tried every single way of explaining it as I can.

Have you tried a hard slap upside his head? Consider

[Image: WalkenOhYou2.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Whoops

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
12-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Lol...no but I did tell him what some of you said here and he got very quiet. I think he's finally got the point. We'll see though.
12-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I hope it works out for both of you Smile

Did you ask him what point he was trying to make? Because I really don't see where such a statement can go except as a tu quoque.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
12-04-2015, 08:38 AM
It almost sounds like he's upset that you are smarter than he is. Some people truthfully don't know how to deal with that.

I like to think there is nothing that I can't do, but that's just ego and I accept my limits. I can't run all that far. I can't do some of the advanced calculus I use to do and I don't like being wrong, but since I'm not an expert at anything, I'm often not 100% correct.

When I am wrong, I enjoy learning those things that I didn't know about before.

Do you often correct him on how he speaks, the content if his stories, the facts vs a slight exaggeration ?

Cause it sounds like he's trying to find something you're wrong about, especially if his mind is doing it at 4am instead of sleeping.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Atheism – A personal sense of the word –

Godless – Self explanatory, it is the inwardly directed declaration denouncing the notion of a god, religion and related conduct supporting either; a complete voiding of the supernatural and natural mindscapes of theism and atheism alike, respectively speaking.

What it is not –

1. A position from which to display overt rebellion against theism.
2. An objective or subjective study of itself (comically needless yet undertaken with a seeming reverence in, of and for itself)
3. A position from which to defend itself relative to theism. [a similar observance as in (2) above.]
4. A spoken or unspoken call to arms attracting atheists to band together in familiar alignment with, and mimicking theistic defensive posturing and behavior, for the purpose of banding together and…acting like…a religion. Call it a club if that hurts less.

Atheism is the key to enlightenment. Once a person unlocks its door, the key can be disposed of and never needed again.

This is my stance on the declaration and has been for a half century. I don’t suppose it to be embraced in this manner by all, and my allegations might demonize individuals who would use it as the very same weapon of kind theists are taken to task for doing. But, for every action there exists an equal and opposite reaction. Because there is theism there must be atheism, as a natural argument, characterized by claimants each espousing the better light. What is unnatural is man’s inability to avoid argument by disguising it as an intellectual exchange.

In the case of theism and atheism, one is founded on ignorance and the other fostered by it. Neither offers noble territory to hail from.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
12-04-2015, 07:48 PM
(12-04-2015 05:41 PM)pitar Wrote:  In the case of theism and atheism, one is founded on ignorance and the other fostered by it. Neither offers noble territory to hail from.
An inherently flawed argument, I'm afraid.

I don't believe that there are sentient armchairs cavorting on the 4th planet of Proxima Centauri. I don't believe this in spite of the fact that there is no one that I know of, much less an organization, that DOES believe in this.

Theism is founded on ignorance and atheism is a requirement for actual evidence and sufficient knowledge in preference to ignorant assertions. It so happens that adherents for both belief positions exist in this case ... but it's as much a mistake to assert that atheists wouldn't exist without theists as it is to assert that theists wouldn't exist without atheists. Every belief position, due to the nature of belief, has an opposite. But that doesn't mean that all belief positions will have equal numbers on both sides of the question -- or that there will be ANY numbers on one side or the other.

All this "I'm above the fray" rhetoric is just an attempt to avoid conflict. I'm sympathetic to it because I used to be that way. But I've learned to call a spade a spade, as the saying goes ... and let the chips fall where they may. Logic is logic, evidence exists or not, and fantasy is fantasy ... and that we unbelievers are not supposed to have the temerity to point that out simply reflects how cowed some of us have been by the way theists have struck at our human aversion to social disapproval. I like that theists are now finding, to their chagrin, that they must compete fairly in the marketplace of ideas for a change.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
13-04-2015, 05:31 AM
(12-04-2015 05:41 PM)pitar Wrote:  In the case of theism and atheism, one is founded on ignorance and the other fostered by it. Neither offers noble territory to hail from.

Says primate while beating his chest in regards to his own "nobility".

[Image: a014a-gorilla-pounding-chest.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition