Oklahoma (again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Oklahoma (again)
So this gem landed on my news feed today:

SB21

It's a short bill, I suggest reading it.

Essentially this states that students can use school sponsored events, including graduation, football games, and morning announcements, to proselytize. And that students can't be penalized for "religious views on class work or homework."

It tries to take the liability from the schools by putting up a disclaimer, but I'm pretty sure the Supreme Court has already had the final say on that.

This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
09-02-2016, 10:19 AM
RE: Oklahoma (again)
I{d think if it is the kids doing it it should be OK, but that is just me.
09-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Why do lawmakers insist on wasting taxpayer dollars on shit they know can't be enforced?

It doesn't matter to me if they want to make a declaration that they are aligned with Klingon Empire, want to pass a law saying Cheetos are better than Cheese Its or shit like this

Where is the outrage? Papers must be filed, copied...time, efforts wasted when there's actually more important shit to do.

All this shit costs the taxpayer's money.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm old and tired and can no longer recall case citations off the top of my head but SCOTUS has said that school kids can lead prayers at school as long as the school does not endorse it. Why the Oklahoma legislature thinks they have to enact a statute to do what SCOTUS has already said they can do is beyond me. I guess the legislators just want to show the public that they believe in magical shit.

I was reading some comments by Jim Inhofe [R-Oklahoma] about climate change last night [climate change is not a worry because God] and it reminded me of something "Nurse" wrote on some other thread. Half of the people in the USA have IQs of 100 or below. That is something you cannot fix.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
09-02-2016, 10:41 AM
I went to school on TN. Schools are rife with religious bullying. And it is HARD to get rid of. This is just the school permitting and endorseing that behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
09-02-2016, 10:54 AM
(09-02-2016 10:38 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I'm old and tired and can no longer recall case citations off the top of my head but SCOTUS has said that school kids can lead prayers at school as long as the school does not endorse it. Why the Oklahoma legislature thinks they have to enact a statute to do what SCOTUS has already said they can do is beyond me. I guess the legislators just want to show the public that they believe in magical shit.

I was reading some comments by Jim Inhofe [R-Oklahoma] about climate change last night [climate change is not a worry because God] and it reminded me of something "Nurse" wrote on some other thread. Half of the people in the USA have IQs of 100 or below. That is something you cannot fix.

Didn't the law apply to student led prayer?

I know there was another ruling (it might have been they refused to hear a case, I don't recall now) that allowed for prayer at graduation or other events.

09-02-2016, 10:56 AM
sure they already can have a prayer but I think the real problem is the no penalty for religious views in coursework. If a science class asks the students to do work regarding evolution and a student says "god did it", this bill says you can't fail them. That is the risk that Oklahoma endorses ignorance.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
09-02-2016, 10:58 AM
(09-02-2016 10:56 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  sure they already can have a prayer but I think the real problem is the no penalty for religious views in coursework. If a science class asks the students to do work regarding evolution and a student says "god did it", this bill says you can't fail them. That is the risk that Oklahoma endorses ignorance.

Given our already lax view of science in this country, it shouldn't be a shock.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2016, 11:23 AM
(09-02-2016 10:58 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:56 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  sure they already can have a prayer but I think the real problem is the no penalty for religious views in coursework. If a science class asks the students to do work regarding evolution and a student says "god did it", this bill says you can't fail them. That is the risk that Oklahoma endorses ignorance.

Given our already lax view of science in this country, it shouldn't be a shock.

It's total balls though No I can't believe my eyes sometimes, watching people wilfully destroying the technological advantages and the freedoms that once made America an example for the rest of the world.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Here in lovely ignorant Oklahoma students can pray or have a group prayer in school as long as it is on their own time (breaks/lunch) and it's not disruptive (no loud disturbing of others or blocking hallways) and as long as it's not led or indorsed by school authority. Nobody has ever tried to say students couldn't pray to themselves, ever.

My issue is stupidity and poor education. Allowing religious POV on subject work is not acceptable. It's tantamount to lying and fabrication of ones work. Oklahoma has been trying to get creationism validated as a working theory and reasonable opinion/option since forever. They have tried to teach it, preach it and cram it in the curriculum one way or another. This is just another attempt to allow godbots the right to try and validate the god discussion in class (so the little christers can preach it to their fellow captive students) and force the instructors (or let them as the case often is) to accept the goddidit rule.

Makes me want to puke.

If they pass this shit (and they will) I hope several someone's out there will submit papers on FSM as a alternate theory and challenge every xtian discussion with the love of his great noodlyness.

Seriously, I would soooo do this if I was a student. Let them say I can't and the lawsuit would be on!

Sometimes I really hate Oklahoma, if my grandsons didn't live here, I'd be so outta here. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post