Oktoberfest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Oktoberfest
I think I mentioned in one of the other threads that I have a low tolerance for alcohol. I like to have a beer when I get home from work, and I do so just about every evening, but I rarely have a second one. I'm a "one beer" kind of guy.

Anyway, when it was time to go grocery shopping Saturday, I was down to three beers in my refrigerator, so it was time to re-stock. When I got to the store, I discovered that most of the brewers already have their Oktoberfest beers in the store. Seems a little early to me, but what the hell -- so I stocked up on Oktoberfest beers. I bought ten 6-packs of ten different brands -- five local (Wisconsin), and five from Germany (the "home of Oktoberfest").

I don't remember all the brands, but some of the German ones are Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau, and Spaten (all Munich-based), and the Wisconsin ones (probably only meaningful to those who live in Wisconsin) are Ale Asylum, Capital, Central Waters, Lake Louie, and New Glarus.

At the rate of one beer per day, these will last until mid-October, by which time Oktoberfest will be over (it's a late September festival). But at my house, Oktoberfest begins tonight. I'm thirsty already.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-08-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: Oktoberfest
(23-08-2016 02:25 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I think I mentioned in one of the other threads that I have a low tolerance for alcohol. I like to have a beer when I get home from work, and I do so just about every evening, but I rarely have a second one. I'm a "one beer" kind of guy.

Anyway, when it was time to go grocery shopping Saturday, I was down to three beers in my refrigerator, so it was time to re-stock. When I got to the store, I discovered that most of the brewers already have their Oktoberfest beers in the store. Seems a little early to me, but what the hell -- so I stocked up on Oktoberfest beers. I bought ten 6-packs of ten different brands -- five local (Wisconsin), and five from Germany (the "home of Oktoberfest").

I don't remember all the brands, but some of the German ones are Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau, and Spaten (all Munich-based), and the Wisconsin ones (probably only meaningful to those who live in Wisconsin) are Ale Asylum, Capital, Central Waters, Lake Louie, and New Glarus.

At the rate of one beer per day, these will last until mid-October, by which time Oktoberfest will be over (it's a late September festival). But at my house, Oktoberfest begins tonight. I'm thirsty already.

Oktoberfest beer tends to be stronger than others. My favorite is Paulaner.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2016, 03:06 PM
(23-08-2016 02:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 02:25 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I think I mentioned in one of the other threads that I have a low tolerance for alcohol. I like to have a beer when I get home from work, and I do so just about every evening, but I rarely have a second one. I'm a "one beer" kind of guy.

Oktoberfest beer tends to be stronger than others. My favorite is Paulaner.

I think that's one of the two I got that I couldn't remember. And the other is Weihenstephaner.
23-08-2016, 03:32 PM
(23-08-2016 03:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 02:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oktoberfest beer tends to be stronger than others. My favorite is Paulaner.

I think that's one of the two I got that I couldn't remember. And the other is Weihenstephaner.

That's very good too!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2016, 11:52 PM
*cough* the "home" of Oktoberfest is Bavaria, not Germany *cough* Big Grin Wink

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
24-08-2016, 07:44 AM
(23-08-2016 11:52 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *cough* the "home" of Oktoberfest is Bavaria, not Germany *cough* Big Grin Wink

Hmmm... as an American of only partial German ancestry, I am not up on all the intricacies of German politics. But yes, if I wanted to be more precise, I could have said Bavaria, or even more precisely, Munich. At least 3 of the beers I listed are from Munich breweries, and I believe all 5 of the "German" beers are Bavarian.

I have visited Germany 3 times (all business trips), and all of my visits were to the Munich area (Munich, Ottobrunn, Manching, Ingolstadt). I did get the sense that Bavaria considered itself "different" from the rest of Germany, and more dedicated to beer. One thing I found amusing was that the engineering lab where I worked when I was there had a refrigerator full of beer! I was told that this wouldn't happen outside of Bavaria. One of my trips was originally scheduled to to be during Oktoberfest, but got changed. That was the year there was a terrorist bombing at Oktoberfest (don't remember the year, but this was early 1980s), so I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, last night I had a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest bier, and it was delicious. Tonight I will try one of the others.
24-08-2016, 09:35 AM
I hope to make it to Oktoberfest this year. That time of year is busy for me , but I hope I can squeeze last weekend.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-08-2016, 09:39 AM
(24-08-2016 07:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 11:52 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *cough* the "home" of Oktoberfest is Bavaria, not Germany *cough* Big Grin Wink

Hmmm... as an American of only partial German ancestry, I am not up on all the intricacies of German politics. But yes, if I wanted to be more precise, I could have said Bavaria, or even more precisely, Munich. At least 3 of the beers I listed are from Munich breweries, and I believe all 5 of the "German" beers are Bavarian.

I have visited Germany 3 times (all business trips), and all of my visits were to the Munich area (Munich, Ottobrunn, Manching, Ingolstadt). I did get the sense that Bavaria considered itself "different" from the rest of Germany, and more dedicated to beer. One thing I found amusing was that the engineering lab where I worked when I was there had a refrigerator full of beer! I was told that this wouldn't happen outside of Bavaria. One of my trips was originally scheduled to to be during Oktoberfest, but got changed. That was the year there was a terrorist bombing at Oktoberfest (don't remember the year, but this was early 1980s), so I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, last night I had a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest bier, and it was delicious. Tonight I will try one of the others.

Ingolstadt isnt even *bavaria* Wink
Its part of the state of bavaria, but is franconia actually. The franks are actually just about as proud as the bavarians, so be careful in franconia. I know i know, Germans Facepalm
The reaosn is, that the franks were the backbone of the medieval german military and during the crusades the muslims described all western/central europeans as "franks", because they were so impressed with their fighting skills, but im going on a tangent now.

Map of the state of bavaria. Technically, only the counties with "bayern" are bavaria.
[Image: Franken_2.svg]

The beers you have mentioned are indeed well known here. At least Paulaner, Hofbräu and Weihenstephan.
There is this urban myth that in bavaria beer is considered "basic food" like water and bread, and in the past it may hve been true. When i was in our facility in Ingolstadt ca. 10y ago, they did have beer in the coke, sprite and water vending machines in the canteen! Nevertheless, if you get drunk at work, you are done.

P.S.: this year Oktoberfest ripoff..err... pricing will be:
1l water 10€
1l lemonade, coke, etc. 10€
1 "mass" beer = 1l -> 10-12€
1l = ca. 1/3gal

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
24-08-2016, 10:30 AM
My favorite beer is OP....

Other people's...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-08-2016, 10:47 AM
(24-08-2016 09:35 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I hope to make it to Oktoberfest this year. That time of year is busy for me , but I hope I can squeeze last weekend.

The Oktoberfest has deteriorated a lot in the last decade or so. It is completely stuffed with people, it's full of pick pockets, it's mostly tourists anymore, and it's expensive as heck. Last time I was in Munich at that time, I didn't even go, and I have sentimental attachment to it.

When I was a kid it was still a safe place to be, the parents would settle in a beer tent and the kids would get some coins to go on rides and scamper off. That's not a good idea anymore, it's not safe.