Oktoberfest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 10:59 AM
RE: Oktoberfest
(24-08-2016 09:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 07:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Hmmm... as an American of only partial German ancestry, I am not up on all the intricacies of German politics. But yes, if I wanted to be more precise, I could have said Bavaria, or even more precisely, Munich. At least 3 of the beers I listed are from Munich breweries, and I believe all 5 of the "German" beers are Bavarian.

I have visited Germany 3 times (all business trips), and all of my visits were to the Munich area (Munich, Ottobrunn, Manching, Ingolstadt). I did get the sense that Bavaria considered itself "different" from the rest of Germany, and more dedicated to beer. One thing I found amusing was that the engineering lab where I worked when I was there had a refrigerator full of beer! I was told that this wouldn't happen outside of Bavaria. One of my trips was originally scheduled to to be during Oktoberfest, but got changed. That was the year there was a terrorist bombing at Oktoberfest (don't remember the year, but this was early 1980s), so I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, last night I had a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest bier, and it was delicious. Tonight I will try one of the others.

Ingolstadt isnt even *bavaria* Wink
Its part of the state of bavaria, but is franconia actually. The franks are actually just about as proud as the bavarians, so be careful in franconia. I know i know, Germans Facepalm
The reaosn is, that the franks were the backbone of the medieval german military and during the crusades the muslims described all western/central europeans as "franks", because they were so impressed with their fighting skills, but im going on a tangent now.

Map of the state of bavaria. Technically, only the counties with "bayern" are bavaria.
[Image: Franken_2.svg]

The beers you have mentioned are indeed well known here. At least Paulaner, Hofbräu and Weihenstephan.
There is this urban myth that in bavaria beer is considered "basic food" like water and bread, and in the past it may hve been true. When i was in our facility in Ingolstadt ca. 10y ago, they did have beer in the coke, sprite and water vending machines in the canteen! Nevertheless, if you get drunk at work, you are done.

P.S.: this year Oktoberfest ripoff..err... pricing will be:
1l water 10€
1l lemonade, coke, etc. 10€
1 "mass" beer = 1l -> 10-12€
1l = ca. 1/3gal

The story is that Munich is named after the Monks (Moenche) who settled at the river. During their long time period of fasting, they drank beer they brewed themselves. The excellent beer started drawing people to the area and they built a bridge across the river. Now traffic increased and the community grew.

All because of the beer the monks created.

When I grew up there, beer was part of a balanced meal. Just about everyone drank it with meals. It was originally meant to be a meal, then went to being part of a meal, and now it's just something people drink for pleasure.

As a born and raised Bavarian, you betcha we are different from the rest of Germany, although the melting pot now has Bavarians be the minority in Bavaria, at least in the cities. In the country side you still find mostly the indigenous population. The culture is totally different from the north. That is pretty much the same in many countries, the cultural divide between north and south.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-08-2016, 11:13 AM
(24-08-2016 10:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My favorite beer is OP....

Other people's...

Big Grin

If you don't mind driving a few hundred miles, I've got 59 beers in my refrigerator.

Big Grin
24-08-2016, 06:03 PM
I remember people being pissed about the pricing for "a mass" at Oktoberfest when I was little. It was 8DM and every year it got a little more expensive. At some point the Euro came and it was now 6 Euro or something, and people were outraged. Now we apparently arrived at 12 Euro which, in my opinion, is ridiculous.
I now live in Ireland and I try to make it to the little version of Oktoberfest, that we have in the city, every year. I like it more actually. Both the fact that they sell my favourite one (Erdinger) and the the fact that it is definitely not 12 Euro (!).

Also fuck, I am feeling old, talking about the times of DM Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
25-09-2016, 04:51 AM
I always loved to have visitors from outside Germany and I'd warn them, be careful with the beer, it's really strong. And in most countries the beer indeed is not as strong. So they'd be like oh yea yea it's fine and then be completely shitfaced after one bottle pretty much. Big Grin

(24-08-2016 09:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Map of the state of bavaria. Technically, only the counties with "bayern" are bavaria.
[Image: Franken_2.svg]
From a political standpoint, it is all Bavaria. Bavaria literally means Bayern. That whole map is Bavaria. You can't say that the map is Bavaria and then say but only the ones with "Bayern" are. They are governed as one, the rest of Germany sees it as one, pretty much the whole world sees it as one.
It is only inside Bavaria that people act like they are split and most don't even mean it, they just do it because it's fun to play that game. You tell a guy from Oberfranken that he is Bavarian and he will act all offended before he laughs.

25-09-2016, 05:13 AM
I was living in Munich before moving back to Scotland last year. My Dad's Bavarian, (Niederbayern) and I have relatives in Munich. First year I was living in Munich I did wander along to the Oktoberfest but I didn't go in any of the 'tents'. It struck me as an industrialised project to transform beer into urine on the scale of the Manhatten project. I always wanted to go to the Rosenheim Herbstfest instead but never did. I actually own a couple of dirndles and wore one when I got married in Munich.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
25-09-2016, 05:56 AM
My mom was Bavarian and my dad was Westphalian. Totally different languages back then. Dad was often clueless when mom started rambling. It's like putting someone from the deep south in the US together with someone from the Scottish country side. It will take them some time to start communicating.

My mom's dad was against the marriage because dad was a damn Prussian. (Not, but anyone north of the Danube was a Prussian to him). I grew up practically bilingual because of this, and it made learning more languages easy.

Bavarians were a blunt, straight forward folk while Northerners were polite, and in the eyes of Bavarians, deceitful.

Bavarians to this day frequently discuss splitting off from the rest of Germany.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-09-2016, 08:52 AM
(25-09-2016 05:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Bavarians to this day frequently discuss splitting off from the rest of Germany.
Bavaria is basically our very own Texas. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
25-09-2016, 08:52 AM
I was at the October fest in Dublin today. It was just a LITTLE rainy Big Grin I think our food was... well a bit juicier than intended Big Grin

[Image: v78fue.jpg]

[Image: nzoy08.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
25-09-2016, 09:41 AM
(24-08-2016 10:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My favorite beer is OP....

Other people's...

Big Grin
IPA definitely I shouldn't be doing it but occasionally I do and its the best.
25-09-2016, 11:02 AM
This is my favorite food at the Oktoberfest:

[Image: steckerlfish_zpsjvzmh5ay.jpg]