Old Believers, and the Young Nones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Old Believers, and the Young Nones
"For the hors d'oeuvre."

If you'd be honest on here just once, you might find that people would take you more seriously Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-05-2015, 08:10 AM
(29-05-2015 08:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "For the hors d'oeuvre."

If you'd be honest on here just once, you might find that people would take you more seriously Drinking Beverage

But the horses hooves are particularly fine. Nom nom.

Shy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-05-2015, 08:11 AM
(29-05-2015 08:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 08:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "For the hors d'oeuvre."

But the horses hooves are particularly fine. Nom nom.

Shy

I thought we ate babies? Confused

-Rick
29-05-2015, 08:17 AM
(29-05-2015 08:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 08:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But the horses hooves are particularly fine. Nom nom.

Shy

I thought we ate babies? Confused

Main course.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-05-2015, 08:18 AM
So when you read articles regarding science it reaffirms your belief in magic and the supernatural?

When you read documents from the other side you get an explanation founded in logic and backed by as much evidence as possible.

When I read holy books or works of apologists I get faith and fallacies.

The biggest realization I got from entering the world of 'militant atheist position' wasn't the ridiculousness of faith, God and Jesus, but about the control and power those concepts held in the world I live in. It scares me much more than any threat of eternal torture.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
29-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Rebellion of the young is normal and very important - it is what propels social change over the course of the generations. Equal rights for women, gays, ethnic groups, legalization of marihuana, these are the things that were pushed by the rebellious young at some point and then started to slowly gain foothold in society.

We are on a roll with social evolution - challenging religions and also animal welfare are the current societal issues that a lot of younger people are attacking now.

It always takes a couple of generations for these changes to be firmly embedded, so we will have to wait for atheism to grow acceptable, just like it was with all the other issues.

But I can definitely see it coming. Finally. I likely won't be around to see it anymore, but I am happy to have been around to see the other social issues come a very long way towards getting fixed.

Go, new generations, go! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
29-05-2015, 08:23 AM
(29-05-2015 08:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 08:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I thought we ate babies? Confused

Main course.

Wink

I've been doing it all wrong for all these years. No

-Rick
29-05-2015, 08:25 AM
(29-05-2015 08:02 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Thinking about this further, please don't even tell me you are subtly trying to blame those stupid and rebellious teens for the rise of atheism? Teens 60 years ago were quite the rebels, but did not denounce god. It is information, value of truth, progress and evolution as intelligent humans that does away with the need for supernatural deities (at any age).

Teens 60 years ago didn't really have all the resources, nor a very visible or vocal atheists constituency as we do now. Any period of vulnerability just likely closed as a mine did, without being exposed to the option of disbelief.
29-05-2015, 08:29 AM
(29-05-2015 08:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, I read from a variety of perspectives all the time. I'm making my way through Breaking the Spell, currently.

Are you educating yourself on various religious perspectives? Are any of those writings causing you to doubt you disbelief? Probably not, if anything they are likely just confirming your original suspicions. And the more you read, the more you realize there's nothing new under the sun.

Then how do you not understand how to have the mindset? It's easier from a skeptical approach and simply resist any urge or mental need to understand, label, or assume things.

And in regards to "I didn’t really know much about atheism." That's what I'm hoping to be different in this era of GenY-Mellinials. There's plenty of talk of GenX in a large way of having a not caring about religion or anti-religion moment in their life, but hitting 30s era or having kids era made them still revert back to the religion. And no surprisingly, mostly the specific religion their parents raised them in. At least I have some I know who will say they find truth to their way of life in Zen Buddhism.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-05-2015, 08:34 AM
(29-05-2015 08:18 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  So when you read articles regarding science it reaffirms your belief in magic and the supernatural?

Not everything reaffirms my beliefs, and many things are just in the end neutral, have no real particular sway one way or the other.

Quote:When you read documents from the other side you get an explanation founded in logic and backed by as much evidence as possible.

When I read holy books or works of apologists I get faith and fallacies.

Usually when I read through works like the God Delusion, my eyes roll, and I cringe. It's probably the same feelings you get when you read the works of apologetics.

Quote:The biggest realization I got from entering the world of 'militant atheist position' wasn't the ridiculousness of faith, God and Jesus, but about the control and power those concepts held in the world I live in. It scares me much more than any threat of eternal torture.

I think you might be a bit paranoid, lol. I'm not particularly worried about the outgrowth of atheism, or unbelief, and I think a certain paranoia of the religious is a bit maladaptive. It's sort of like a fear of foreigners.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post