Old Fart Music Topics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Old Fart Music Topics
It seems the idea of a concept album has mostly disappeared in an age of downloading music, sometimes just one song at a time.

Certainly it's no longer the adventure it used to be to pore over cool album covers and liner notes while listening to the crackle of the needle on spinning vinyl.

Two questions came to mind about albums of yore.

What are your favorite album sides and do you have any albums you remember for their epic covers?

When I think of favorite album sides, 3 jump to mind:

The Beatles: Abbey Road, Side two, but especially the last four songs.

Rush: 2112, Side one, containing one song: 2112.

Daniel Amos: Shotgun Angel, Side two, a Christian band but I've discovered new pleasure in listening to it stoned. Big Grin

I grew up listening almost exclusively to Christian music since the devil gave us rock and roll, so I won't bore you with obscure art by Christian bands, but The Who's Who's Next always fascinated me.

So did the cool covers that Boston used to do.

What were your favorite album sides that you listened to over and over?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
26-09-2012, 04:35 PM
RE: Old Fart Music Topics
The Doobie Brothers!!! First LP I listened to when I fixed my dads Panasonic RD-2900.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
26-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Led Zeppelin II, side 2... especially the last 3 tracks... Ramble On, Moby Dick and Bring it On Home. What a way to end a record.

Cream: Wheels of Fire, side 2... this really is jizz worthy. Wink

As for album art, I love Cream's Disraeli Gears.

I'm going to go through my records now and find some good shit to post later. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
26-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Sure, ask the good questions right when I have to go to work. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I'd like to pore over albums of yore, but I realized it was pour, and I didn't tell preacher cuz he might get sore, and that decision was poor.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

26-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Old Fart Music Topics
(26-09-2012 04:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'd like to pore over albums of yore, but I realized it was pour, and I didn't tell preacher cuz he might get sore, and that decision was poor.

Try again, kiddo.
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/poring-o...-and-pour/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Old Fart Music Topics
(26-09-2012 04:39 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Led Zeppelin II, side 2... especially the last 3 tracks... Ramble On, Moby Dick and Bring it On Home. What a way to end a record.

Cream: Wheels of Fire, side 2... this really is jizz worthy. Wink

As for album art, I love Cream's Disraeli Gears.

I'm going to go through my records now and find some good shit to post later. Big Grin

Good taste, old fart!

26-09-2012, 04:50 PM
(26-09-2012 04:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 04:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'd like to pore over albums of yore, but I realized it was pour, and I didn't tell preacher cuz he might get sore, and that decision was poor.

Try again, kiddo.
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/poring-o...-and-pour/

Woops. Blush Ya learn somthin' every day.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2012, 04:51 PM
This still happens on occasion, but only really on re releases. Buddy of mine is a bit of a collector and has started getting some of the harder to come by vinyl re-releases of some 90's grunge bands.

Cool collections though maybe not the full experience of the old bands. Though Soundgarden used to release a their albums as experiences. If you listened to them on vinyl the songs all led into the next song, making it like one long song. If you listen to them on cd it doesn't do that and sometimes the order is done out of context.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephantasm-VIN...765&sr=1-1

That's one he has, though I know not if this is the exact same collection, as his has tons of goodies with it and was pretty expensive. The description is lacking on this one. If it is the same one, it's a great price. The covers all made up one huge picture as well.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Klaatu-Klaatu Side B Sir Bodsworth Rubblesby III. Morning wake up music for me!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]