Old Fart Music Topics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 05:29 PM
RE: Old Fart Music Topics
Spooky.

I just did an all-night (prepping for today) with Lamb Lies Down on Broadway reminding me how Genesis and Gabriel led me to atheism and away from "god's elastic acre".

"...back to ash, now, you've had your flash boy
The rocks, in time, compress
your blood to oil,
your flesh to coal,
enrich the soil,
not everybody's goal."

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-09-2012, 05:53 PM
In my teens mine were:-

Machine Head - Deep Purple
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Destroyer - Kiss (yeh, yeh, I know Dodgy )

And other selected goldie oldies....hehe

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
26-09-2012, 08:10 PM
(26-09-2012 04:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It seems the idea of a concept album has mostly disappeared in an age of downloading music, sometimes just one song at a time.

Certainly it's no longer the adventure it used to be to pore over cool album covers and liner notes while listening to the crackle of the needle on spinning vinyl.

Two questions came to mind about albums of yore.

What are your favorite album sides and do you have any albums you remember for their epic covers?

When I think of favorite album sides, 3 jump to mind:

The Beatles: Abbey Road, Side two, but especially the last four songs.

Rush: 2112, Side one, containing one song: 2112.

Daniel Amos: Shotgun Angel, Side two, a Christian band but I've discovered new pleasure in listening to it stoned. Big Grin

I grew up listening almost exclusively to Christian music since the devil gave us rock and roll, so I won't bore you with obscure art by Christian bands, but The Who's Who's Next always fascinated me.

So did the cool covers that Boston used to do.

What were your favorite album sides that you listened to over and over?

For god's sake Erx, i have to go back to 50s Albums!
Remember buying a 45 Bll Haley , disk round then; liked him, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Hank Williams, Theresa Brewer etc.

My short term memory isn't too good ...and my short terrm memory isn't too good though.Consider
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
26-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Lots of Rolling Stones (Dad's influence), and my favourite was Jimi, mom listened to a lot of Enya and my brother and I listened to Cheech and Chong comedy for hours. The worst was when a favourite song scratched.

One time my dad burst into my room all red in the face and said through grinding teeth, "If you play that song one more time I will break the record in half and throw the player out of your window!" and then he slammed the door. Ha ha. It was Stairway to Heaven. (So cliche, walking Waynes World cliche, ha ha.)

When tapes came out, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK. That's right bitches. Heart Jonathan. (He's openly gay now Sad ) Lots of Nirvana, too.

For CD's, a bunch of crap (the 90's). Now iTunes. It's true, there was nothing like sniffing a record and reading the lyrics or personal note from artists, or seeing the photos and art that came in the package.

The Who- Who's Next photo was always prominent in my mind, either that was a poster or Dad had that record at the front of his massive collection because as soon as I see it I can remember the smell in the music room and how it felt to hang out there. Nostalgia! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
27-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Ha - here's an old one... I think I only actually listened to Yes because I wanted the Roger Dean art work on the album covers.
[Image: yes_front.jpg]

Then there's the beautiful Marc Bolan... T-Rex was ... actually, I'm really not sure what T-Rex was.
[Image: album-T-Rex-The-Slider.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-09-2012, 03:18 PM
I've always been into Jazz - Miles Davis' Bitches Brew was and still is a classic - it's still as fresh today as it was on it's first pressing. The cover work was pretty snazzy as well.
[Image: bitches-brew.jpeg]
This is the cover front and back, unfolded.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
27-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Favorite Concepts:

Hemispheres - Rush - Side 1
2112 - Rush - Side 1
Wish You Were Here
DSOTM - The whole bloddy album

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
29-09-2012, 03:06 PM
[Image: the_piper_at_the_gates_of_dawn.jpg]

Good thing Syd lost his shit when he did, otherwise he might've taken me with him. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-09-2012, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2012 03:43 PM by cufflink.)
[Image: Janis_Joplin-Pearl_album_cover.jpg]

HeartSadcryface2HeartSadcryface2Heart

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
30-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh GAWD... there are too many it's so hard to single just a few out!

My parents had a treasure trove of stuff I grew up on. Zeppelin, Hendrix, Allman brothers, The Who and the Beatles are definitely atop the list. As far as covers, Santana was a great one:
[Image: Santana+1969+album+cover.jpg]

I think the furthest I can go back is the American Graffiti soundtrack album. That was the first album that I pulled out of the box to have a listen to on my own. Pretty sure it was the cover that sparked my interest.
[Image: 51uSGj5YIRL.jpg]
I don't even remember who was on it. I think I remember Wolfeman Jack?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user