Old Guard or New Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Old Guard or New Atheism
Are you a part of the Old Guard (not being confrontational with theists, waiting for education to de-convert them), or are you a part of the New Atheism that takes a hard line against theism and actively debates with them? Why?

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 01:36 PM
RE: Old Guard or New Atheism
I'm a little bit of both. I don't bother anyone about their beliefs on the street, at work, in bars or even in their churches. However, I do make as much noise as possible in the public arena when appropriate. I put a menorah and a festivus pole on my hometown gazebo right next to the KofC's kresh. I post DAILY on my local message boards' religion forums demonstrating people's lapses in critical thought. I write my newspaper editor to correct the pope.

In short, if they bring it to the public square, it's brung.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes gamutman's post
28-02-2011, 01:58 PM
(28-02-2011 01:36 PM)gamutman Wrote:  In short, if they bring it to the public square, it's brung.

This.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
28-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Indeed, I'm not on an agressive campaign to stamp out religion, but I want people to know what should hapen if they make religious statements casually in public. The other religious people from other religions should be stopping christians more as well though. Only problem is that often it's an angry talk.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I usually don't say much. My experience is that I care waaaaay more about the topics of religion and biology than anyone else I have ever met in person. Therefore conversations about these topics mostly end up with me getting carried away and every one else looks like they don't know wtf just hit them. Tongue

But if someone else brings it up i pull no punches. I consider apologetics to be willfully ignorant, the willfully ignorant to be idiots, and I have no patience with idiots.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
28-02-2011, 07:57 PM
New Atheist with a bit of the old guard. I know when too shut up when need too. Like posting a comment about a friend's adoption. Then get surrounded by people saying "PRAISE THE LORD." :/

Yet, if they are open publicly I will debate. Luckly I am friends with my ex-pastor who regularly posts religious topics, so yeah. I join in. Big Grin

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
28-02-2011, 08:13 PM

I don't want a label.

If someone wants my opinion on a particular religion then I will share it (as long as it's not my family, I would rather be in the dark about my atheism and have them feel that I am part of their club). I'm just not an activist type of person, perhaps I am 'Old Guard' (this is the first time I've heard of that) but I am open to listening to new ideas from all walks of life (doesn't mean I will think it's of any value though)
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I call false dichotomy on that, although I fit the definition of Gnu Atheist you provided - even though I don't identify myself as a Gnu atheist.
Why? Because theism can be and often is harmful and void of critical thought, so I think about it skeptically, and criticise it where criticism is due.
Also, I share the experience of ThinkingNorseman aside from that when the topic is raised by a theist I do my very best to tear the living crap out of the position they have on the topic they raised. It gives me immense pleasure, somehow.. =]

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
01-03-2011, 01:49 AM
I think I am a new ateist wannabe. Although I am not in a position to do a lot of debunking, I definitely would like to see religion put in its place, as a myth for those who can't handle reality.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-03-2011, 03:33 AM
I am in the middle. I am not overly confrontational and I try not to make too many people mad but when push comes to shove I will defend my opinion. I've struck up conversations with coworkers, friends, and even random people. Amazingly they have mostly stayed civil. Sure the majority will not change their opinion after a brief discussion but its nice that they actually listen.

The one thing I am vocal about is the bumper stickers on my car. For me I feel like it gives those that might be on the fence about religion will know there is somebody out there that thinks like they. Ive had 2 people come up and thank me for the stickers and have gotten a few thumbs up and head nods while driving so that makes it well worth it for me. I don't put them out there to piss anybody off but want to keep others from struggling with their beliefs like I did and feeling like they are alone in that world.