Old Man Walking.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Old Man Walking.
Today I went for a power walk over suburban Melbourne's highest point, Mt Cooper.

It took me 50 minutes from home and back and at the peak my pulse was 160 (ave 60s)
Post run pulse was 122 and a few minutes later pulse 111,B.p 122/70,which I thought was pretty good
for a seventy y/o.

A few years ago I joined a vets athletic club and won a major cup by default. They thought I was much worse than I really was
and gave me a ridiculous handicap. Even with that, I nearly killed myself, and all the top runners got really snarky.I never went back

As it says in a recent movie "ageing isn't for sissies" so I'm still pushing it within reason as who knows what's around the corner.
I would rather snuff it on track than in an old rocker; a lot of folk call it quits far too prematurely........ Yes

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mr Woof's post
29-03-2012, 12:12 AM
RE: Old Man Walking.
That is awesome, good for you! My biggest encouragement for excercise is how much it benefits my mental health. I hope to be active when I am older, too. Smile

Also, I don't blame you for not going back to the group. I run alone because I am not a competitive person, at least not for excercise. Sports I am, but that's a game. I prefer excercise to be competitive only for me (goal setting).

You are right, old age isn't for sissies. Also, it's a privilege in my opinion, one I really hope to recieve.
29-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I heard exercise only adds like 2 years to your life span.

I always figured you would waste at least that much time exercising, so why not enjoy those 2 good years, instead of tacking on 2 bad ones at the end.
30-03-2012, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 12:27 AM by Mr Woof.)
(29-03-2012 12:12 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  That is awesome, good for you! My biggest encouragement for excercise is how much it benefits my mental health. I hope to be active when I am older, too. Smile

Also, I don't blame you for not going back to the group. I run alone because I am not a competitive person, at least not for excercise. Sports I am, but that's a game. I prefer excercise to be competitive only for me (goal setting).

You are right, old age isn't for sissies. Also, it's a privilege in my opinion, one I really hope to recieve.
Thanks Lady Jane
I still enjoy a bit of jogging but calf strains lead to having to rest for quite long periods.

As for competitiveness I tried for years at badminton and failed miserably. Good players would say "never might its the effort that counts"; it was a different attitude when they lost however. Thumbsup

(29-03-2012 10:31 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  I heard exercise only adds like 2 years to your life span.

I always figured you would waste at least that much time exercising, so why not enjoy those 2 good years, instead of tacking on 2 bad ones at the end.
WEll I enjoy physical activity and sport and the questionable extra two years isn't an issue for me.
I still involve myself in other things. Yes
30-03-2012, 06:52 AM
These days you may well have another 30 years, so keeping in shape is helping to make them as pleasurable as possible.

Good for you!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2012, 08:03 AM
@antirepublican: i also heard that flossing adds 6 years because gum disease leads to heart disease. (Dr. Oz show)
Different studies on everything show different results.

It's not just about the lifespan but also the quality of life and the good feeling both physically and mentally that you push your boundaries.

I say kudos to OP and if you're enjoying yourself, keep at it!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.