Old Testament Texts / Another Look

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 4.09 Average
23-07-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: Old Testament Texts / Another Look
Yeah I know. it was aliens.
Fuck.
Too bad there are no scholars that agree with that made up, dot-connecting BS.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2017, 07:47 PM
(18-06-2017 10:01 AM)thereverent1 Wrote:  Great stuff- thanks.
Most fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Mormons completely discount archaeology and biblical textual analysis. So as richly informative as the information is, it won't do anything to dissuade believers from claiming that the Bible or the Koran or the Book of Mormon is the word of God. The only thing that can do that is to highlight those portions of the scriptures that say or imply things they don't believe.
I have an acquaintance who is a fundamentalist Christian. I argued that the old and new testament books represented two very different visions of reality. For example, the old testament authors didn't believe in anything Jesus said about the forgiveness of sins. Jesus said that we should forgive the sins of those who sin against us 70 times 7 times (Matthew 18:22), and that the only unforgivable sin is the sin of blasphemy (Matthew 12:31). But there is no passage in the old testament that says anything like that. Instead the old testament authors described a completely different process for the forgiveness of sins called a "sin offering". That was a ritual sacrifice of a perfect bull, and it's a type of ritual that no Jewish synagogue or Christian church performs today. This point made a real impression on her because she had to admit that it's true (even though she couldn't bring herself to saying so). But I can tell you from experience that arguments on the basis of archaeology, however well founded, will never have the same kind of impact. And my argument is much simpler, more direct, and it is based on the actual biblical text, which is the only thing that Christian fundamentalists actually trust.

I agree. Whether or not the Old Testament accounts are entirely factual and supported by archaeology has nothing to do with the religion and it's teachings. You could spin a religion around a comic book character and people might follow it.

What this debate about archaeology seems to be about seems to me to have more to do with ethnology. All national groups seem to want to portray themselves as unique or distinct and also as descending from Adam and Eve or some other original couple, and want, therefore, to claim some sort of moral or political primacy.

However, morality flows from a world view and the exercise of reason in relation to human behaviour, not archaeology or ethnology, so I have no idea what the real point of this thread is. DNA studies are illuminating the fact that all humans descend from a common group of hominids and before that we were all swinging from the trees. There's nothing divine about it. What makes humans different from other animals is that at some point we developed the power to reason through moral issues and behave in a way which was different from animals. Some religions hang on to their animalistic, superstitious past, others depart from that. Modern rational humanism leaves all of that behind. It's certainly interesting to read about archaeological discovery, but trying to tie this in with a preconception about world religion and the primacy of a particular religious or ethnic group either to build them up or tear them down is more likely to result in a distorted interpretation of the archaeology to suit one's own purposes.
01-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Wow Bucky, you went all out on this post. Nice.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam