Old Testament Texts / Another Look

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.57 Average
12-09-2012, 04:12 AM
RE: The Old Testament Texts / Another Look
(12-09-2012 01:45 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:26 AM)Fromgenesis Wrote:  Thanks BB. Your knowledge of the subject (ancient texts, history) far exceeds mine and I would really be out of my depth to argue on this.
However, as a layman, it seems to me that one possibility for corresponding information is that it actually reports the same issues, with each having a different "spin". In other words, the issues being reported is not by implication false. There is this game that little children play called "telephone", where a message is repeated and the end result is either garbled or have little bearing on the initial message or..if it was very carefully repeated and "controlled" by the initial person, could be accurate.
The Bible claims to be truth and one can then ask the question - has what is reported as truth ever been proven as lies? No doubt, questions are raised from time to time and doubts cast.
My belief in the God of the Bible rests on faith but without having to put my head in the sand and ignoring issues. That is why I am delighted with your comments. As Christians, we often only discuss issues with other Christians and thus work from the same point of reference.
That there are questions that are very difficult to answer, goes without saying, but this does not by implication invalidate the Christian faith. As proof, it is obvious that (other) highly intelligent persons with the same set of facts that you have, come to a different conclusion.

I can hook up a USB 3.0 stick to my computer and transfer 16GB of text (about 72,000 bibles) off of it in a matter of minutes, upload it to my server (which is actually a virtual machine on a shared network of thousands of physical processors with data storage in three different datacenters, on several RAID1 and/or RAID5 hard drive arrays, synced every couple of minutes), and distribute it to a thousand people at once, almost anywhere in the world, at up to 2mb/s with a data loss or corruption rate of about one bit in ten trillion, thanks to unambiguous multiplexed error/noise-resistant communication protocols like SCTP. I can store this data for thousands of years on flash memory, for tens of thousands with hardened flash, with no data loss or corruption. The data can be copied an infinite number of times, and if 4096-bit RSA encrypted with my private key it could be 100% guaranteed that you are reading my original, unaltered, legitimate version with no possibility that it has been edited or altered by another entity.

I am superior to your god at communication. Bow down before me.
And will be remembered by no one within a week.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Old Testament Texts / Another Look - Fromgenesis - 12-09-2012 04:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Old Testament and the New Covenant--help ComradeBunny 115 1,292 18-06-2014 09:41 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
Tongue Five Stupid Things About the Old Testament EvolutionKills 13 318 28-04-2014 09:06 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking WindyCityJazz 17 346 22-04-2014 05:58 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Nag Hammadi texts. What do Christians make of them? Eva 12 248 04-04-2014 02:24 AM
Last Post: Eva
  Christians must follow the old testament. Metazoa Zeke 270 4,002 24-03-2014 08:08 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature Aleprauchanist 14 270 04-03-2014 06:20 PM
Last Post: natachan
  forged origins of the new testament goodwithoutgod 13 467 18-02-2014 08:00 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod