Old Testament Texts / Another Look

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.57 Average
12-09-2012, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 06:15 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Old Testament Texts / Another Look
(11-09-2012 09:24 PM)Noelani Wrote:  THIS is the stuff I am interested in. I really do believe that history lessons are what make myths crumble. It baffles me how biblical scholars can still believe in the bible after all they have learned.

Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together.

I wonder if I can make a request though... When I told my parents that I no longer believed in god there was one thing that my mom said that stuck with me. She said that she knew her religion, Christianity, was the religion of the one and only true god because no other religion has the holy spirit. I wonder anyone who knows can give me some insight into where the holy spirit came from. In some of my reading, not sure if this is accurate or not, I found some info that the holy spirit is present in other religions but either as a kind of characteristic of god or something like that... Anyone have some light to shed on this for me?

I'll try to answer that for you, but it's not easy. There are only three times in the Old Testament the words Holy Spirit are used, as such, together. The words "spirit", and "spirit of god" are used a number of times in the Prophetic texts. Each time the word "spirit" or spirit of god" is used, it means the "outstretched/outstretching" or "extension" of "power" of the god, or an active intermediary agent, with power, NOT a "person", (as in the theology of the Trinity), which developed later. In the early texts it just means "power". In the Prophets, it means "godly attitude", or an "attitude of obedience to the law", (ie the spirit of god). A bit later, in the Second Temple period, it had attached to it also a slightly more developed meaning of "disposition (in the human), of righteousness". (Still not a divine person). When the words of the gospels are placed in Jesus' mouth, (a literary device), the words still have the Old Testament nebulousness about them, but still more a power, attitude, and extension. When Paul get's a-hold of it, he makes it more "active", but still it's not a person. http://www.abu.nb.ca/courses/NTIntro/Spirit7.htm However, even in Paul, it's not yet fully developed, which took many hundreds of years to finally cook up, and was debated in the councils, and even in the Council of Nicaea, (325 CE), they had a HUGE fight over the meaning of the words they put in the creed, (called the "filioque procedit" debate ... which is Latin for "and from the Son", or "and proceeds from the Son"), ... they were fighting about how the spirit "works" or comes into being. To be continued.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Old Testament Texts / Another Look - Bucky Ball - 12-09-2012 03:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Old Testament vs New Testament Fodder_From_The_Truth 9 113 29-07-2014 10:06 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  The Old Testament and the New Covenant--help ComradeBunny 115 1,305 18-06-2014 09:41 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
Tongue Five Stupid Things About the Old Testament EvolutionKills 13 322 28-04-2014 09:06 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking WindyCityJazz 17 352 22-04-2014 05:58 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Nag Hammadi texts. What do Christians make of them? Eva 12 257 04-04-2014 02:24 AM
Last Post: Eva
  Christians must follow the old testament. Metazoa Zeke 270 4,060 24-03-2014 08:08 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature Aleprauchanist 14 271 04-03-2014 06:20 PM
Last Post: natachan