Old Testament was written for primitive people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Old Testament was written for primitive people
What would be your counterargument that the Old Testament was written in old time, when society was barbaric and people didn't know any better. Those people wouldn't understand what we understand now, that's why god was talking to them in terms they find familiar. They understood only force and brutality back then, hence all those crazy law.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2015, 06:22 PM
RE: Old Testament was written for primitive people
If god can say "thou shalt not kill" then he can say "thou shalt not own people as property" and "thou shalt treat women as equals".

The people of the time were ignorant, they weren't stupid.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
25-03-2015, 05:55 AM
(24-03-2015 06:22 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If god can say "thou shalt not kill" then he can say "thou shalt not own people as property" and "thou shalt treat women as equals".

The people of the time were ignorant, they weren't stupid.

Exactly, if god commanded it, what choice did they have? As soon as the Israelites gave Moses any flack, he would open up the Earth and swallow the troublemakers.

Why would this god care about their primitive sensibilities?

I don't think they would have had any problem understanding what to do after a display of power like that.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-03-2015, 06:07 AM
The OT: Written by primitives, for primitives.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
25-03-2015, 06:37 AM
News Flash! So was the New Testament, Quran, Vendas, Book of the Dead, Tao Te Ching, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and Buddhist Sutras. About the only religious text I can think of offhand that wasn’t written for primitive people is Dianetics, and that was written for the gullible idiots.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
25-03-2015, 07:01 AM
(25-03-2015 06:37 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  About the only religious text I can think of offhand that wasn’t written for primitive people is Dianetics, and that was written for the gullible idiots.
You forgot the Book of Moron... er.. I mean Mormon, The Pearl of Great Price and Doctrines and Covenants, all for the same group of gullible idiots.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
25-03-2015, 07:37 AM
(24-03-2015 06:10 PM)Happy Wrote:  What would be your counterargument that the Old Testament was written in old time, when society was barbaric and people didn't know any better. Those people wouldn't understand what we understand now, that's why god was talking to them in terms they find familiar. They understood only force and brutality back then, hence all those crazy law.

I'd ask for evidence that God was talking to them "in terms they'd understand".

What we know:
  • The bible was written 1,900 - 2,700 years ago.
  • It demonstrates a lack of understanding about certain things (science and math).
  • It is written by people with drastically different cultural mores than us.
  • It features a lot of barbaric stuff.

Notice how "being ghost authored by an omnipotent being" isn't on that list. That's an assertion and the burden of proof is on the person making it. Don't give them any freebies.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
25-03-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2015 12:44 PM by Impulse.)
(24-03-2015 06:10 PM)Happy Wrote:  What would be your counterargument that the Old Testament was written in old time, when society was barbaric and people didn't know any better. Those people wouldn't understand what we understand now, that's why god was talking to them in terms they find familiar. They understood only force and brutality back then, hence all those crazy law.

Since it was supposedly divinely inspired, that's like saying God is primitive. Instead of teaching them something new (and he could... he's god after all), he came down to their level.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-03-2015, 12:46 PM
(25-03-2015 12:39 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Since it was supposedly divinely inspired, that's like saying God is primitive.

What I really love is how modern people try to write their modern social mores backward onto the god of the Bible.

The god of the Bible endorses slavery, yet people now days know that's pretty fucked up. Ergo, the apologists start to try to turn all of the slavery into "servitude", except for when the people were conquered foes. What's telling, of course, is that you don't hear of anyone back then insisting it was really just servitude, because they didn't care.

Same thing with science. People try to backward read modern scientific understanding into the old texts. People say that Job talks about a spherical earth (hint: it likely doesn't), and even Muslims think that the Koran mentions evolution in an extremely vague and round-about way.

TL;DR: Yeah, he is pretty primitive. It's just the apologists can't stop trying to drag him a bit closer to the 21st century to keep up with the Joneses normal people.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
25-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Why stick just on the books of Abraham? Buddhism and Hinduism also were started in an age of scientific ignorance. Old religions and mythologies got started because it was a way of explaining how things worked, but what no old religion could not know back then is how evolutionary wise our species flawed perceptions in reality cause those gap answers.

It is still relevant today because new age religions get started all the time. I t should not even surprise us if in the future Star Wars got turned into a religion. It is why Kwanza got started. It is why Mormonism got started. It is why Scientology got started.

Religion is a form of gap filling based on our species ignorance of how easily our perceptions of reality can fool us.

But currently right now I would agree at this point in human history the religions of Abraham currently are the biggest trouble makers.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user