Old Testament was written for primitive people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 01:05 PM
RE: Old Testament was written for primitive people
(25-03-2015 12:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  TL;DR: Yeah, he is pretty primitive. It's just the apologists can't stop trying to drag him a bit closer to the 21st century to keep up with the Joneses normal people.

Alternate TL;DR:
God is timeless until it's inconvenient.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-03-2015, 01:10 PM
(25-03-2015 12:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  ..., but what no old religion could not know back then is how evolutionary wise our species flawed perceptions in reality cause those gap answers.
What?? Consider

(25-03-2015 12:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  It is still relevant today because new age religions get started all the time. It should not even surprise us if in the future Star Wars got turned into a religion.
The future is here.
It's called Jedi-ism:
Temple Of The Jedi Order: Church Of Jediism
Jedi Church
Church of Jediism UK

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
25-03-2015, 01:25 PM
(25-03-2015 12:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What I really love is how modern people try to write their modern social mores backward onto the god of the Bible.

And how they then try to claim that the Bible is a timeless book with morals and lessons that are just as relevant now as at the time it was written.

I just wish they'd make up their bloody minds.

Either it's dated, bronze/iron age and therefore doesn't need to meet the same criteria of "moral" (for want of a better word) or it isn't. They want it both ways. It doesn't work.
[+] 2 users Like Cornelia's post
25-03-2015, 01:37 PM
(25-03-2015 06:37 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  News Flash! So was the New Testament, Quran, Vendas, Book of the Dead, Tao Te Ching, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and Buddhist Sutras. About the only religious text I can think of offhand that wasn’t written for primitive people is Dianetics, and that was written for the gullible idiots.

I have a religious text that isn't bullshit, its a cook book on making all kinds of pasta Smartass Drooling
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
25-03-2015, 02:03 PM
(25-03-2015 01:25 PM)Cornelia Wrote:  And how they then try to claim that the Bible is a timeless book with morals and lessons that are just as relevant now as at the time it was written.

I just wish they'd make up their bloody minds.

Either it's dated, bronze/iron age and therefore doesn't need to meet the same criteria of "moral" (for want of a better word) or it isn't. They want it both ways. It doesn't work.

Yeah, this is a big problem when a person holds multiple, contradictory ideas. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch. That's why there are so many books written about apologetics!
25-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Then why aren't they separate?.... in 99.99% of all bibles i have been forced to keep, or look at they are both together.... and its 2015 now. If it is indeed a primitive work, than it NEEDS to be separate for your claim to have any validity.
[+] 1 user Likes ResistenceXD0001's post
25-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Quote:when society was barbaric and people didn't know any better.

It's still written for those people.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
25-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Totally agree with all of you guys. Just pick one and stick to it. Either remove OT from the bible or live by it, which is, let's face it, not gonna work. I find it to be a kind of hypocrisy, they say one thing, but do another.
And with god demonstrating power and making those people let's say not torture animals or kids. When I give this argument, I'm usually met with either
- how can you know what god was thinking and doing. It's a blasphemy to think that you'd manage better then him
OR
- god works in mysterious ways.

Both of those arguments are driving me mad!
[+] 1 user Likes Happy's post
25-03-2015, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2015 07:59 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The texts which ended up much later being assembled into what would later become the canon of the Olt Testament was not "written for primitives". The general population was in general, illiterate, but hardly "primitive". The Judean priests who assembled the traditions of the old Northern and Southern Kingdoms of Israel were fairly sophisticated, literarily and politically speaking. They knew exactly what they were up to, and what they were doing. The Persian Emperor needed a central organizing structural factor in Hebrew life for permitting their return to their old lands, (which he needed as a buffer between his territory and the invading Greeks), and the old family groups (which had been the central organizing factor), and had been disrupted by the process of what is called "the Babylonian Exile". He instructed the priests to form a document (called the "Torah of Moses", ie the first 4 books of what today is called the "Pentateuch") which would serve as a (mythical) national history and organizing legal structure for their return to their old territory. They (the texts) contain a lot of what we might perceive as "primitive" in terms of our values, but they had good reasons for putting the things they did in the texts. It's not a religious set of books. Everyone already believed in the gods. It was UNQUESTIONED. What they are, is a POLITICAL/legal guide to community life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-03-2015, 03:41 PM
(25-03-2015 03:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The texts which ended up much later being assembled into what would later become the canon of the Olt Testament was not "written for primitives".

Can you please suggest any historical research/books to read on this?
ThanksSmile