Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 01:51 AM
RE: Old Testament
I'm getting quite close to that stage. Just waiting to hear back (rejected?) by a few other publishers.

I'm not whining, I'm just hoping one of our forum members might happen to be in the industry and take an interest.

And, if you're all poor, starving atheists, who's going to buy the book? Cuz it sure as hell won't be the theists...well, maybe they will buy a few copies to burn! Smile

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2012, 07:52 AM
(12-07-2012 08:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's some pretty cool spin there Blood. Of course it's wrong, but entertaining nonetheless. Big Grin
What's your best reason for believing it's wrong?
Find all posts by this user
13-07-2012, 07:56 AM
(13-07-2012 01:17 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Are there any reputable scholars that focus on the history of the old testament?

Noelani, there are several and I would recommend The Bible Unearthed, by Israel Finkelstein (Jewish archaeologist) and Neil Silberman (historian), which pretty much shreds the historicity of the OT. Additionally, you could read A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible, by John J. Collins (an OT prof). His review gives a book-by-book deconstruction of the "Old" Testament, citing what the symbolism was behind many of the stories and listing when many of them arose. It's quite insightful.

As to the OT being obsolete, the fabricators of NT theology needed a new spin after Pauline Christianity went off in a completely new direction from the original message of Jesus, which Ehrman goes into in several of his books.

One of my favourite quotes--which I cited in my own book on the origin/evolution of Judeo-Christian doctrines, and still looking for a publisher, btw--is by the renowned biblical scholar, Geza Vermes, in his book The Authentic Gospel of Jesus.

Quote:

. . . In short, the view that Jesus ministered only to the lost sheep of Israel
and instructed his disciples to do the same is the historically correct
alternative. Disturbing though this may sound to the uninformed, the order to
proclaim the good news of salvation to all the nations must be struck out from
the list of the authentic sayings of Jesus. . . .
So the "authentic" church of Jesus only lasted about 20 years? Incredible.
13-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Pretty much, yeah. The last 1990 years have been a complete and utter doctrinal lie.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
13-07-2012, 08:49 AM
(13-07-2012 07:52 AM)Blood Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 08:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's some pretty cool spin there Blood. Of course it's wrong, but entertaining nonetheless. Big Grin
What's your best reason for believing it's wrong?
Cause I'm a prophet, silly. And I say it's wrong, so God says it's wrong. Don't make me call down some plague frogs on your house. Big Grin

Well, that and the Pauline Israelite hypothesis I derived back in the day. Thumbsup

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
13-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, D'Souza is a terrible speaker. It was pretty hard to listen to.

Thanks everyone for your insight and the recommended books and people. Looks like my summer reading list just got longer!