Old guys with bibles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Old guys with bibles
I was approached by one on campus when I was going to school (Hari Krishna). It was ten years or so ago, but in Kansas no less. I was a bit surprised myself.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I got one a few years ago. They came to the classes,brought boxes,and the teacher gave them. They didnt even ask if we wanted them. I took mine,trew it in the garbage can

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
10-09-2013, 05:57 PM
(10-09-2013 05:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I was approached by one on campus when I was going to school (Hari Krishna). It was ten years or so ago, but in Kansas no less. I was a bit surprised myself.

They used to be all over the major European airports and downtown and dance and hand out very sugary round cookie balls. They wore bright orange clothing and were a breath of fresh air next to the stuffy watchtower folks.

A few months ago I went to my itty bitty town and there was a guy, maybe in his 70s, carrying a cross. He had all these young women crowding around him.... talking to him, smiling at him. I bet he thought he had hit the jackpot with this. Tongue He was carrying on conversations and smiled, too - I bet that cross was hollow and very light.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-09-2013, 06:12 PM
(10-09-2013 05:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 05:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I was approached by one on campus when I was going to school (Hari Krishna). It was ten years or so ago, but in Kansas no less. I was a bit surprised myself.

They used to be all over the major European airports and downtown and dance and hand out very sugary round cookie balls. They wore bright orange clothing and were a breath of fresh air next to the stuffy watchtower folks.

A few months ago I went to my itty bitty town and there was a guy, maybe in his 70s, carrying a cross. He had all these young women crowding around him.... talking to him, smiling at him. I bet he thought he had hit the jackpot with this. Tongue He was carrying on conversations and smiled, too - I bet that cross was hollow and very light.

This wasn't your traditional bald, orange wearing group. Just a scroungy looking dude who seemed nice enough. I patronized him for a minute while we walked, it wasn't until later when I looked through the literature he gave me that I realized it was hari. Guess they gotta play it low key in Kansas!Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Like many things, the answer's in the movies:

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
(10-09-2013 06:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 05:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  They used to be all over the major European airports and downtown and dance and hand out very sugary round cookie balls. They wore bright orange clothing and were a breath of fresh air next to the stuffy watchtower folks.

This wasn't your traditional bald, orange wearing group. Just a scroungy looking dude who seemed nice enough. I patronized him for a minute while we walked, it wasn't until later when I looked through the literature he gave me that I realized it was hari. Guess they gotta play it low key in Kansas!Big Grin

I had something similar happen to me at the local mall. Was with a small group of friends when this guy in a suit walks up and starts talking to us. Little did he know we were all Atheists. He talked for a bit asking some questions that we dodged (we are not the most social of people and his joining our group uninvited was not going over) he tried to pass on some literature and we declined to take it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM
(10-09-2013 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  You could alternate with "Fuck you", "Piss off", "Sod off you crazy bugger", "Fuck off",
"Out of my face, you delusional twit", and so on.

Get creative! Have fun! Thumbsup

I'm usually a polite person. However, I like your idea. I think a better idea would be to get a whole bunch of people lining the street to their church handing out miniature versions of the Necronomicon. I'm sure that would go over real well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-09-2013, 10:14 PM
(10-09-2013 07:58 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  There is a legion of old guys handing out miniature copies of the new testament to the students of my campus. They are lining all of the main streets and standing on all of the street corners. It's getting really annoying to have to tell each one "no thank you" over and over again. Some are pushy, too. Most people are passing them by, which I imagine makes them think the current college generation are godless heathens.

Ostentatiously drop it in the nearest trash can.
11-09-2013, 05:08 AM
The Hari Krishnas in our area don't tend to bother people. Mostly they just walk around and sing, which is entertaining if nothing else.

Still haven't found an affective way of dealing with the bible thumpers. Personally I enjoy taking the flyers then loudly shouting "Hallelujah! Praise the Devil I've been saved from Jesus!" They don't seem to enjoy that too much.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[+] 1 user Likes PharaohKatt's post
11-09-2013, 05:10 AM
(10-09-2013 09:34 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  You could alternate with "Fuck you", "Piss off", "Sod off you crazy bugger", "Fuck off",
"Out of my face, you delusional twit", and so on.

Get creative! Have fun! Thumbsup

I'm usually a polite person. However, I like your idea. I think a better idea would be to get a whole bunch of people lining the street to their church handing out miniature versions of the Necronomicon. I'm sure that would go over real well.

PLEASE LET US JOIN YOU. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post