Old habits die hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: Old habits die hard
(21-03-2014 08:08 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  LadyDay - welcome Thumbsup

Yes - I'm certain that some of us non-believers have moments of doubt. I say that because I certainly have. It's one of the reasons I am here. On-going support system for what I *know* is true. And No I don't have to seriously discuss a anti-god position all day, every day as a support system. What works is spending quality time with friends I've made here that are atheists. Being in good company makes a huge difference - mostly because it keeps me from feeling so alone in my thinking.

Support system can help you remain sane. I suggest you carve out at least a few mins each day to pop by here, read and hang out a little. Get to be part of the community. Talk about what hot topics give you flares of emotions and enjoy that there are fine, moral, exciting, very intelligent people Here.

If not here - find a place where people support your ideas and thoughts regarding religion. You can face fears, set backs or worries with friends.

Thumbsup

Thanks Smile

Yeah, that's also why I joined this forum. Hoping to find some nice and like-minded people to discuss these things with.
I have a bunch of friends who are atheist or not particularly religious at least, but none who are ex-religious. Being in physics combined with just living in a very secular country means that religious people are the "odd ones out" and formerly religious people aren't everywhere to be met. So it's great to also get to meet some people who have been through this whole religion to free thinking process!
And so far this forum seems like an awesome place and everyone is so nice and friendly Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 08:48 AM
(21-03-2014 08:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Time and conscious thought help out a lot with these types of things. For a while, I couldn't say things like "God Dammit" without a twinge of guilt over using the lord's name in vain. I would roll my eyes at myself and sort of mock my inner thoughts for still clinging to it. After a while it stopped, and now I say it all the time. I sometimes forget that people who are still theists take offense when I do.

Good to hear Smile
I also feel like it's getting less and less for me. I still get that "lords name in vain twinge" on occasion, but I try to respond to it by consciously swearing loudly and proudly. Big Grin I'm sure I'll outgrow the childish need at some point, but I'm still in the rebellious face of the recently de-converted. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 08:51 AM
(21-03-2014 08:44 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 08:08 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  LadyDay - welcome Thumbsup

Yes - I'm certain that some of us non-believers have moments of doubt. I say that because I certainly have. It's one of the reasons I am here. On-going support system for what I *know* is true. And No I don't have to seriously discuss a anti-god position all day, every day as a support system. What works is spending quality time with friends I've made here that are atheists. Being in good company makes a huge difference - mostly because it keeps me from feeling so alone in my thinking.

Support system can help you remain sane. I suggest you carve out at least a few mins each day to pop by here, read and hang out a little. Get to be part of the community. Talk about what hot topics give you flares of emotions and enjoy that there are fine, moral, exciting, very intelligent people Here.

If not here - find a place where people support your ideas and thoughts regarding religion. You can face fears, set backs or worries with friends.

Thumbsup

Thanks Smile

Yeah, that's also why I joined this forum. Hoping to find some nice and like-minded people to discuss these things with.
I have a bunch of friends who are atheist or not particularly religious at least, but none who are ex-religious. Being in physics combined with just living in a very secular country means that religious people are the "odd ones out" and formerly religious people aren't everywhere to be met. So it's great to also get to meet some people who have been through this whole religion to free thinking process!
And so far this forum seems like an awesome place and everyone is so nice and friendly Heart

First, hooray for more physics people on the forum! Thumbsup I love physics and am trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. I like having people around that can correct me when my understanding of something is flawed or not quite right. So, if you ever see me say something that's not quite right, it's out of ignorance and trying to teach myself some very complex concepts.

Second, you came to the right place. Many of us are former theists and understand the process of apostasy intimately. I envy you that your country is mostly secular. I wish the theists were the odd ones in the US. (ok, so they really ARE the odd ones, but you know what I mean.)

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-03-2014, 08:51 AM
(21-03-2014 08:39 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Has anyone ever said "bless you?" when you sneeze?
Well, that gets you out of hell if it exists.
Also the pope said all atheists are redeemed.

Damn, I knew I should have been an ex-catholic instead. Laugh out load Now I'll have to go sneeze in front of an english speaker....
21-03-2014, 09:05 AM
(21-03-2014 08:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Overcooked, mushy pasta is the ultimate blasphemy and will send you straight to hell to be squeezed through a colander for all time.

I take my pasta seriously. Looks like I'm good, then.

(21-03-2014 08:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Time and conscious thought help out a lot with these types of things. For a while, I couldn't say things like "God Dammit" without a twinge of guilt over using the lord's name in vain. I would roll my eyes at myself and sort of mock my inner thoughts for still clinging to it. After a while it stopped, and now I say it all the time. I sometimes forget that people who are still theists take offense when I do.

I was the opposite on this one. I felt relief. I had a tendency to take God's name in vain as a believer, and I always felt guilty. Like I felt the ability to stop it half a second before saying it, but I did it anyway. What a bad Christian I was.

Once I stopped believing, I didn't need to feel guilty anymore. Any time someone says "why do you take God's name in vain if you don't believe in him?" I want to say "Because I don't believe I'll get in trouble for it and it's culturally relevant. Why do believers do so when they think it's a sin?"
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-03-2014, 09:09 AM
(21-03-2014 08:51 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  First, hooray for more physics people on the forum! Thumbsup I love physics and am trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. I like having people around that can correct me when my understanding of something is flawed or not quite right. So, if you ever see me say something that's not quite right, it's out of ignorance and trying to teach myself some very complex concepts.

Second, you came to the right place. Many of us are former theists and understand the process of apostasy intimately. I envy you that your country is mostly secular. I wish the theists were the odd ones in the US. (ok, so they really ARE the odd ones, but you know what I mean.)

I'm sure you know your stuff, but if I see you talking nonsense I shall happily be Miss Know-it-All! Me ----> Hobo

I do feel very lucky to live in a very secular country. In the general public, outside the closed religious community my family is in, I don't have to worry about being thought negatively off for my lack of religious believes, which I imagine makes it hugely different! I've noticed the significant difference online. I happened to mention my atheism in one instance and was told that "tsk, it's just a fad and you're just calling youself an atheist because it's become fashionable". I got completely confused, because very few people have been particularly religious in this corner of the world, so being an atheist isn't a provocative or unusual or new thing. It's hardly fashionable to become what everyone in the public around you has been for a century. Laugh out load
I'm also so happy to know that should I have children some day there's no risk they will be taught Creationism in science class or told to pray in school or any other form of religious indoctrination against my wishes as their parent. Even christian private schools here are forbidden from teaching creationism in anything other than religion class (I can't help feeling a little smug about that, since I went to a religious school all my upbringing and know it bothered them).
But I've realized that that the situation is very different in at least large parts of the US and the world at large, and I think you should all feel very proud of your balls (or metaphoric lady balls, who are usually bigger and more awesome than literal boy balls Tongue ) for openly announcing your lack of religion in a country where "atheists" are the last remaining minority it's consistently considered alright to bully and abuse.
Good on you guys Thumbsup
But hopefully the US is headed towards more secular times Smile In the meantime, us lucky ones are cheering you all on and happy to back you all up and support in any way we can!
21-03-2014, 09:14 AM
(21-03-2014 09:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 08:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Overcooked, mushy pasta is the ultimate blasphemy and will send you straight to hell to be squeezed through a colander for all time.

I take my pasta seriously. Looks like I'm good, then.

May all your dinners be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote:

I was the opposite on this one. I felt relief. I had a tendency to take God's name in vain as a believer, and I always felt guilty. Like I felt the ability to stop it half a second before saying it, but I did it anyway. What a bad Christian I was.

Once I stopped believing, I didn't need to feel guilty anymore. Any time someone says "why do you take God's name in vain if you don't believe in him?" I want to say "Because I don't believe I'll get in trouble for it and it's culturally relevant. Why do believers do so when they think it's a sin?"

I was raised with a lot of guilt. Everything that you could possibly do that was fun was sinful and you should feel shame for enjoying it. I'm pretty sure they would consider a hearty belch sinful because it felt good. "God gave you that gas pain to teach you a lesson. You can't just reject God's lesson like that!"

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-03-2014, 09:20 AM
(21-03-2014 09:09 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  I'm sure you know your stuff, but if I see you talking nonsense I shall happily be Miss Know-it-All! Me ----> Hobo

Dem's fightin words.

... this is my signature!
21-03-2014, 09:25 AM
(21-03-2014 09:20 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 09:09 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  I'm sure you know your stuff, but if I see you talking nonsense I shall happily be Miss Know-it-All! Me ----> Hobo

Dem's fightin words.

Who's Dem? Unsure
21-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Please do. I am very intelligent (not very humble though) and have taught myself almost all of what I know about science. Growing up religious, I was greatly discouraged from studying science. I wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was young, but was "encouraged" to do something less blasphemous with my life.

So please, DO correct me. I won't take offense to you pointing out that I'm flat out wrong on something. I would MUCH rather be embarrassed in public for my ignorance than go on being ignorant. (and worse, ignorant of my ignorance). Willful ignorance is inexcusable in the information age.

Quote:I do feel very lucky to live in a very secular country. In the general public, outside the closed religious community my family is in, I don't have to worry about being thought negatively off for my lack of religious believes, which I imagine makes it hugely different! I've noticed the significant difference online. I happened to mention my atheism in one instance and was told that "tsk, it's just a fad and you're just calling youself an atheist because it's become fashionable". I got completely confused, because very few people have been particularly religious in this corner of the world, so being an atheist isn't a provocative or unusual or new thing. It's hardly fashionable to become what everyone in the public around you has been for a century. Laugh out load
I'm also so happy to know that should I have children some day there's no risk they will be taught Creationism in science class or told to pray in school or any other form of religious indoctrination against my wishes as their parent. Even christian private schools here are forbidden from teaching creationism in anything other than religion class (I can't help feeling a little smug about that, since I went to a religious school all my upbringing and know it bothered them).
But I've realized that that the situation is very different in at least large parts of the US and the world at large, and I think you should all feel very proud of your balls (or metaphoric lady balls, who are usually bigger and more awesome than literal boy balls Tongue ) for openly announcing your lack of religion in a country where "atheists" are the last remaining minority it's consistently considered alright to bully and abuse.
Good on you guys Thumbsup
But hopefully the US is headed towards more secular times Smile In the meantime, us lucky ones are cheering you all on and happy to back you all up and support in any way we can!

The US is changing. Secularism in general is making leaps and bounds and Atheism in specific has come much more to the forefront in the last decade.

There's still a LOOOONG way to go before atheists are truly equal in our society. It's insane, but there was a recent poll that placed rapists and child molesters as "more trustworthy" than atheists.... Dodgy

A lot of it is the stigma attached to it here. We joke about eating babies and being the immoral, rudderless savages that theists think we are. It's not a joke in the real world though. I once had a lady try to "pray over me", when I told her I didn't appreciate it because I was an atheist, she got a wide eyed look, started screaming in tongues and ran out of the store I was working at. She later called as far up the chain of management as she could to try to get me fired for being "an evil, devil worshipping corrupter of society" Undecided