Old habits die hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: Old habits die hard
(21-03-2014 09:25 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 09:20 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Dem's fightin words.

Who's Dem? Unsure

Them, you foreign witch. Ain't they learn you lot real English in school?

(I am usually the only physicist around, you see, so obviously I can't abide the competition)

Tongue

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
21-03-2014, 09:33 AM
(21-03-2014 09:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 09:25 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Who's Dem? Unsure

(I am usually the only physicist around, you see, so obviously I can't abide the competition)

Tongue

PHYSICIST FIGHT!!!!

Watch out, Lady. I hear he's got this punch that will hit you on both sides of your face at the same time...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 09:34 AM
(21-03-2014 09:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 09:25 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Who's Dem? Unsure

Tongue

Maybe she thinks you're referring to the Democrats.
21-03-2014, 09:38 AM
What do I do with my omg comments now. Or when I say what the hell is that. Hard habits to break.
21-03-2014, 09:41 AM
(21-03-2014 09:26 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was young, but was "encouraged" to do something less blasphemous with my life.

Dooo eeeeet Big Grin Studying astrophysics is great fun! You sound like you'd be in your element!
I'm off long term sick from uni at the moment, but astrophysics is exactly what I am studying otherwise! If you fancy reading suggestions just to get into it on your own I can recommend some of my favorite books from the courses I've had Smile
I love when other people can see the awesomeness of astrophysics instead of just looking at me like I just arrived from another planet when I tell them what I do! Laugh out load

Quote: ...She later called as far up the chain of management as she could to try to get me fired for being "an evil, devil worshipping corrupter of society" Undecided

Laugh out load
I find it pretty funny how you always, as a de-converted christian gone atheist, is told how you chose Satan instead of staying with God. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 09:45 AM
(21-03-2014 09:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Them, you foreign witch. Ain't they learn you lot real English in school?

Tongue

I really need to work on my street lingo.... They never taught me proper "swag" in english class back in school. How can I possibly acquire proper street cred with you lot when I love words like "preposterous".

What sort of physicist are you? *glares*
Because I'm the real kind! Everyone knows astronomy is the original science! Tongue
21-03-2014, 09:47 AM
(21-03-2014 09:33 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  PHYSICIST FIGHT!!!!

Watch out, Lady. I hear he's got this punch that will hit you on both sides of your face at the same time...

It's called Schrödingers punch Cool
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 09:49 AM
(21-03-2014 09:41 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 09:26 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was young, but was "encouraged" to do something less blasphemous with my life.

Dooo eeeeet Big Grin Studying astrophysics is great fun! You sound like you'd be in your element!
I'm off long term sick from uni at the moment, but astrophysics is exactly what I am studying otherwise! If you fancy reading suggestions just to get into it on your own I can recommend some of my favorite books from the courses I've had Smile
I love when other people can see the awesomeness of astrophysics instead of just looking at me like I just arrived from another planet when I tell them what I do! Laugh out load

I just got a Kindle and the first book I bought was "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. I'd seen him speak about the book and decided I REALLY needed to learn the underlying concepts behind what he was talking about. It's fascinating to me. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone says that knowing how something works takes all the beauty and mystery out of it.

I could not disagree more. Knowing how the stars work only makes them more attractive to me. I want NEED to know everything that is knowable about them. I get chills when a concept suddenly makes sense to me. When my brain has finally taken in enough information to make coherent sense out of some complex concept, it really is close to a religious experience for me.

Please do send me any and all recommendations for educational materials.

Quote:
Quote: ...She later called as far up the chain of management as she could to try to get me fired for being "an evil, devil worshipping corrupter of society" Undecided

Laugh out load
I find it pretty funny how you always, as a de-converted christian gone atheist, is told how you chose Satan instead of staying with God. Facepalm

Yeah, I guess it's just because they simply cannot fathom that there is no god and no devil, so if you don't worship god you're OBVIOUSLY an agent of satan.

and kittens are delicious. Evil_monster

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 09:50 AM
(21-03-2014 09:38 AM)Jesus Christ Wrote:  What do I do with my omg comments now. Or when I say what the hell is that. Hard habits to break.

To be honest I use those without concern. These days that's more culturally than religiously loaded. I guess it could be considered hypocritical for an atheist. But then it's considered sinful by theists. So I guess there's no winning.
21-03-2014, 09:57 AM
(21-03-2014 09:45 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  What sort of physicist are you? *glares*
Because I'm the real kind! Everyone knows astronomy is the original science! Tongue

I am a grad student in solid state working on quantum magnetism.

Which is a field that didn't even exist a century ago. So the seniority on that's pretty clear, I guess...

Wink

... this is my signature!