Old habits die hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: Old habits die hard
The thread devolved into Physicist MMA...

I have no idea how to add to this. Carry on.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2014, 10:49 AM
(21-03-2014 10:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The thread devolved into Physicist MMA...

Stick around? Have you ever seen a physicist fight?

The tricks are even dirtier when you know the laws of nature. And CJLR is a quantum physicist. You never know what he'll do next. Tongue

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-03-2014, 10:50 AM
(21-03-2014 10:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:24 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Exactly how it was meant! As ironic use of something awesome as a derogatory and as a compliment Smile

Mostly you were just very funny. Again.

I'm only as funny as my audience thinks I am. I like having you as an audience...

Also, I'm nearly impossible to offend. I got bullied a lot when I was a kid, so I grew some thick skin. I'm very short, extremely pale, socially awkward, and I work in IT... I'm like a walking cliche.

Well, clearly, since you couldn't lean back on a cushion of praise for boring, dime a dusin, qualities like classical beauty and being a smooth talker, you developed more interesting qualities instead.
We can start a club, I'm pale too (the plight of the northern european). But I call it "porcelain skin" and rock it! Haha. You may have a hard time identifying with calling your skin "porcelain", but you get the point!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 10:51 AM
(21-03-2014 05:17 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Hi guys

I became an "out of the closet" atheist some years back after a long process of getting to that point. But still, I find some annoying habits sticking around from my intensely religious upbringing and my life as a christian. Mostly habitual thinking and emotion.
I still catch myself getting pangs of guilt when reading and enjoying atheist/freethinkers literature. I still have creepy moments of fear of damnation propping up and the warning words of my parents telling about Satan and Hell in my brain.
Oh, and my parents and sisters always say the lords prayer in unison in connection with some bible reading etc after dinner, and when visiting them I have TWICE caught myself praying/speaking along, out loud like the rest, out of old habit. Gasp

Do you other former theists still experience habitual thinking and the fear/guilt that you were brought up with sometimes? How do you deal with it?
It's a disconcerting thing and makes me sad when these things prop up and I feel like even though I've rationalized myself out of religion and found great freedom in thinking for myself, I am still effected profoundly by the sheltered and intensely fundamentalist upbringing I had. How do you break completely free of something you were indoctrinated with day in and day out for most of 20 years, in a closed community with nobody even questioning it?
It makes me angry to be frank that children are brought up like this. My two sweet and incredible younger sisters are still both deeply religious and suffer from it.

Help please Sadcryface

NOTE: I am not at all sure I've posted this thread in the right category? Sorry Blush

Yeah, religion has a way of imprinting itself on your brain... It takes a long time to completely deconvert, but you'll get there in the end.

I still get occasional panic attacks over it... But they're getting rarer and less severe.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
21-03-2014, 11:00 AM
(21-03-2014 10:49 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The thread devolved into Physicist MMA...

Stick around? Have you ever seen a physicist fight?

The tricks are even dirtier when you know the laws of nature. And CJLR is a quantum physicist. You never know what he'll do next. Tongue

Pffft, people are always so impressed when they hear the word "quantum".
*sulks about the lack of buzzwords in astrophysics*
21-03-2014, 11:00 AM
(21-03-2014 10:50 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm only as funny as my audience thinks I am. I like having you as an audience...

Also, I'm nearly impossible to offend. I got bullied a lot when I was a kid, so I grew some thick skin. I'm very short, extremely pale, socially awkward, and I work in IT... I'm like a walking cliche.

Well, clearly, since you couldn't lean back on a cushion of praise for boring, dime a dusin, qualities like classical beauty and being a smooth talker, you developed more interesting qualities instead.
We can start a club, I'm pale too (the plight of the northern european). But I call it "porcelain skin" and rock it! Haha. You may have a hard time identifying with calling your skin "porcelain", but you get the point!

I've been told I'm "cute", but it's usually in the tone you use with a puppy or a kid... Dodgy But yeah, I had to rely on my brains and wit to make friends. Lucky for me, in the battle of wits, I'm well armed.

YEEEAHH, I don't know about using 'porcelain'... I think we could call ourselves the 6500K club...

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-03-2014, 11:03 AM
(21-03-2014 11:00 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:49 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Stick around? Have you ever seen a physicist fight?

Pffft, people are always so impressed when they hear the word "quantum".
*sulks about the lack of buzzwords in astrophysics*

It's Ok. Hug

If he ever makes you think he knows more than you just remind him:

"Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics" -Richard Feynman

21-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Quantum Indeterminacy?

[Image: 1289.jpg?new=1]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Popcorn

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Blackhand293's post
21-03-2014, 11:15 AM
(21-03-2014 11:00 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I've been told I'm "cute", but it's usually in the tone you use with a puppy or a kid... Dodgy But yeah, I had to rely on my brains and wit to make friends. Lucky for me, in the battle of wits, I'm well armed.

YEEEAHH, I don't know about using 'porcelain'... I think we could call ourselves the 6500K club...

At least everyone loves puppies Heart

That's an awesome name for the club! I just have one concern.... Isn't there historical precedence suggesting that clubs for people with very white skin may be problematic? Even if it is just to sit around sulking about how we turn the color of boiled lobster the second we're exposed to sunlight.

Sincerely,
the girl who was once called Caspar the Friendly Ghost
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post