Old habits die hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Old habits die hard
(21-03-2014 11:03 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  It's Ok. Hug

If he ever makes you think he knows more than you just remind him:

"Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics" -Richard Feynman

Or I'll just kick him over the shin really, really hard!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 11:23 AM
(21-03-2014 11:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Quantum Indeterminacy?

[Image: 1289.jpg?new=1]

Don't be scared. It's not that complicated. Just big words that make you appear smarter than if you just use little words! Big Grin
21-03-2014, 11:27 AM
(21-03-2014 11:15 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 11:00 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I've been told I'm "cute", but it's usually in the tone you use with a puppy or a kid... Dodgy But yeah, I had to rely on my brains and wit to make friends. Lucky for me, in the battle of wits, I'm well armed.

YEEEAHH, I don't know about using 'porcelain'... I think we could call ourselves the 6500K club...

At least everyone loves puppies Heart

That's an awesome name for the club! I just have one concern.... Isn't there historical precedence suggesting that clubs for people with very white skin may be problematic? Even if it is just to sit around sulking about how we turn the color of boiled lobster the second we're exposed to sunlight.

Sincerely,
the girl who was once called Caspar the Friendly Ghost

Shit, I didn't think of that. Yes, there are precedents... not good ones. What if we start it as a type of support group for the pigmentally challenged? Then we could sit around and bitch about needing SPF 5000 without offending anyone.

I've been called Casper, Powder, and I've been asked if I was an albino more than once. (I was wearing shades each time).

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 11:32 AM
(21-03-2014 11:23 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 11:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Quantum Indeterminacy?

[Image: 1289.jpg?new=1]

Don't be scared. It's not that complicated. Just big words that make you appear smarter than if you just use little words! Big Grin

Honestly, I just feel bad for Schrodinger's cat. Poor, poor kitty... Sadcryface

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-03-2014, 11:45 AM
(21-03-2014 11:27 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Shit, I didn't think of that. Yes, there are precedents... not good ones. What if we start it as a type of support group for the pigmentally challenged? Then we could sit around and bitch about needing SPF 5000 without offending anyone.

Yeah, that sounds better Laugh out load Don't want our friends blessed with the wonder of Melanin to feel left out.

Oh, and how on super pale skin, you get one little pimple and you look like you've been struck with bubonic plague! Angry
21-03-2014, 11:48 AM
(21-03-2014 11:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 11:23 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Don't be scared. It's not that complicated. Just big words that make you appear smarter than if you just use little words! Big Grin

Awwwww. And the say atheists don't have feelings!
It's okay dear, the cat was only in the, appropriately sized, box very briefly before they took him out and everyone was happy to find that he was now only in a state of being alive and happy!
21-03-2014, 12:39 PM
This seems like a good place to post this if you ask me :nods: Then again I ain't none too awful smart so that's something to consider Consider

I'm sure that most atheists that have had their fair share of religion have gone through this. I know I have. Still do kind of. Like sometimes I'll wake up and start praying or be walking around and think, "oh gosh I should pray." Then I stop myself and remember that I don't do that anymore. With prayer I find it easier to just tell yourself, "Wait I don't do that" and try to think of something else if you're in a setting when someone else is praying. If it's you trying to pray alone, get up and try to find something to do to keep yourself from praying. I think it helps to break up the habit if you stop yourself before finishing, y'know?

As far as reading atheist literature and other things like that, I'd say the best thing is to press through it. Take a breather if you need it if it gets too intense for you. But remind yourself that what you're reading/doing is not radical and is alright for you to be doing and go back to doing it. The more you tell yourself it is alright and the more you read the easier it gets. Baby steps are fine though if that's what you need. You are the one that's going through your life, after all. No need to rush into stuff if that's not your thing.

I don't know if that was helpful at all. I hope it was or that someone else on here had better words for ya Big Grin

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
21-03-2014, 12:42 PM
(21-03-2014 11:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 11:23 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Don't be scared. It's not that complicated. Just big words that make you appear smarter than if you just use little words! Big Grin

I simultaneously feel bad and sort of apathetic.
21-03-2014, 12:44 PM
(21-03-2014 12:42 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 11:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Honestly, I just feel bad for Schrodinger's cat. Poor, poor kitty... Sadcryface

I simultaneously feel bad and sort of apathetic.

Well now that we've observed your emotional state, the wave function will collapse and you will either feel bad or you won't.

Shoulda kept the lid shut.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 01:00 PM
(21-03-2014 12:39 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  This seems like a good place to post this if you ask me :nods: Then again I ain't none too awful smart so that's something to consider Consider

I'm sure that most atheists that have had their fair share of religion have gone through this. I know I have. Still do kind of. Like sometimes I'll wake up and start praying or be walking around and think, "oh gosh I should pray." Then I stop myself and remember that I don't do that anymore. With prayer I find it easier to just tell yourself, "Wait I don't do that" and try to think of something else if you're in a setting when someone else is praying. If it's you trying to pray alone, get up and try to find something to do to keep yourself from praying. I think it helps to break up the habit if you stop yourself before finishing, y'know?

As far as reading atheist literature and other things like that, I'd say the best thing is to press through it. Take a breather if you need it if it gets too intense for you. But remind yourself that what you're reading/doing is not radical and is alright for you to be doing and go back to doing it. The more you tell yourself it is alright and the more you read the easier it gets. Baby steps are fine though if that's what you need. You are the one that's going through your life, after all. No need to rush into stuff if that's not your thing.

I don't know if that was helpful at all. I hope it was or that someone else on here had better words for ya Big Grin

You are so sweet, it just radiates out of your writing how lovely a person you are! Smile

I've gotten the "auto-prayer thoughts" too. Laugh out load I also just try to distract myself. I think maybe it's a little hard when you've always used prayer when you had a problem or felt bad, and suddenly you have to figure things out on your own instead and use your own brain instead of counting on divine intervention. It's much more satisfying to be your own person and in charge of your own life though.

Fortunately the ingrained guilt-reflexes while for example reading atheist literature don't get so strong I have to stop. They are weighed out easily by the joy and excitement of this new world of freedom.
Funny enough I can even find myself feeling guilty about these habitual reflexes I got from christianity. Then thoughts crop up like "am I not being a good enough atheist?" Facepalm That's when I end up laughing at the absurdities my brain can come up with, and remind myself that atheism isn't like religion and I am not expected to be "a good atheist" like I used to be expected to be a good, faithful christian. And for once, my thoughts are liberated and there's no "anti-god" monitoring them, ready to judge me if I have a non-compliant thought.

You are very helpful! Smile It's good to know I'm not the only one who sometimes get awkward moments of past ways of thinking popping up! Then I'm not a crazy person! Or at least not the only crazy person! Laugh out load