Old habits die hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 01:07 PM
RE: Old habits die hard
(21-03-2014 12:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 12:42 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I simultaneously feel bad and sort of apathetic.

Well now that we've observed your emotional state, the wave function will collapse and you will either feel bad or you won't.

Shoulda kept the lid shut.

Now I feel bad, but not about the cat. Are you happy? Angry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-03-2014, 01:20 PM
(21-03-2014 01:00 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  You are so sweet, it just radiates out of your writing how lovely a person you are! Smile

I've gotten the "auto-prayer thoughts" too. Laugh out load I also just try to distract myself. I think maybe it's a little hard when you've always used prayer when you had a problem or felt bad, and suddenly you have to figure things out on your own instead and use your own brain instead of counting on divine intervention. It's much more satisfying to be your own person and in charge of your own life though.

Fortunately the ingrained guilt-reflexes while for example reading atheist literature don't get so strong I have to stop. They are weighed out easily by the joy and excitement of this new world of freedom.
Funny enough I can even find myself feeling guilty about these habitual reflexes I got from christianity. Then thoughts crop up like "am I not being a good enough atheist?" Facepalm That's when I end up laughing at the absurdities my brain can come up with, and remind myself that atheism isn't like religion and I am not expected to be "a good atheist" like I used to be expected to be a good, faithful christian. And for once, my thoughts are liberated and there's no "anti-god" monitoring them, ready to judge me if I have a non-compliant thought.

You are very helpful! Smile It's good to know I'm not the only one who sometimes get awkward moments of past ways of thinking popping up! Then I'm not a crazy person! Or at least not the only crazy person! Laugh out load

Aw, thank you Blush I try to be as sweet as I can be. Decreases the likelihood that anyone would want to hunt me down and beat me up that way Wink Plus I like people being happy and that's more likely to happen when I'm nice so y'know.

Yeah it is hard when you're learning that there isn't some magic that snaps its fingers and makes it all happen. Kind of scary that it's all you and your smarts but in a way after I while I find that more relaxing. Like you said, it's more satisfying when you know you did it and you got control over your life! Or as much control as one has in life anyways.

That's good Smile I'm glad you can lift yourself back up and have a good laugh. Much healthier than if you were to keep bashing yourself. That would defiantly not be the way to go! Especially since I don't think there's any real such thing as a "perfect" atheist!

You're welcome! It's always good to know that there's other crazies out there in the world Laugh out load Makes being crazy just a tad bit more comfy!

[Image: notagain.gif]
21-03-2014, 01:46 PM
[Image: schrodingerscat_fullpic.jpg]

[Image: schrodinger.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2014, 02:02 PM
(21-03-2014 01:46 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: schrodingerscat_fullpic.jpg]

Who are these dickheads who can't spell?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2014, 02:06 PM
(21-03-2014 01:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 12:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Well now that we've observed your emotional state, the wave function will collapse and you will either feel bad or you won't.

Shoulda kept the lid shut.

Now I feel bad, but not about the cat. Are you happy? Angry

Yeah, I'm happy. But it's got nothing to do with you. Laughat

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 02:11 PM
(21-03-2014 02:02 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 01:46 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: schrodingerscat_fullpic.jpg]

Who are these dickheads who can't spell?

lolcats apparently... Undecided

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-03-2014, 02:19 PM
(21-03-2014 01:20 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Aw, thank you Blush I try to be as sweet as I can be. Decreases the likelihood that anyone would want to hunt me down and beat me up that way Wink Plus I like people being happy and that's more likely to happen when I'm nice so y'know.

Yeah it is hard when you're learning that there isn't some magic that snaps its fingers and makes it all happen. Kind of scary that it's all you and your smarts but in a way after I while I find that more relaxing. Like you said, it's more satisfying when you know you did it and you got control over your life! Or as much control as one has in life anyways.

That's good Smile I'm glad you can lift yourself back up and have a good laugh. Much healthier than if you were to keep bashing yourself. That would defiantly not be the way to go! Especially since I don't think there's any real such thing as a "perfect" atheist!

You're welcome! It's always good to know that there's other crazies out there in the world Laugh out load Makes being crazy just a tad bit more comfy!

Oh dear! If anybody want to hunt you down and beat you up, you just tell all your scary atheist friends in here to come and look all scary and atheistic and I'm sure they'll back right off!

Yeah, the magic snapping of fingers is a nice way of not having to deal with that pesky responsibility for what happens in the world or in your life.
I learned from experience that the magic isn't all that magical though. It seemed that whenever you prayed about something small, like finding your wallet when you were busy in the morning or for it to not rain on your church picnic, god was pretty likely to grant you your wish and give you that. However, if you prayed about something big and important, like world peace or an end to hunger or healing for someone terminally sick, it was not likely to be answered. Seems god cared a heck of a lot more about lost wallets and picnics than suffering humanity!

Here we can all be crazy together Big Grin
21-03-2014, 02:23 PM
(21-03-2014 02:02 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Who are these dickheads who can't spell?

It's because they're just little kitties. Little kitties don't spell so well, but it's not their fault, it's just because their little heads are all full of cute and fussy, but not so much language ability.
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
21-03-2014, 05:06 PM
(21-03-2014 02:19 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  Oh dear! If anybody want to hunt you down and beat you up, you just tell all your scary atheist friends in here to come and look all scary and atheistic and I'm sure they'll back right off!

Yeah, the magic snapping of fingers is a nice way of not having to deal with that pesky responsibility for what happens in the world or in your life.
I learned from experience that the magic isn't all that magical though. It seemed that whenever you prayed about something small, like finding your wallet when you were busy in the morning or for it to not rain on your church picnic, god was pretty likely to grant you your wish and give you that. However, if you prayed about something big and important, like world peace or an end to hunger or healing for someone terminally sick, it was not likely to be answered. Seems god cared a heck of a lot more about lost wallets and picnics than suffering humanity!

Here we can all be crazy together Big Grin

Hahaha yes!!! Everyone's afraid of a godless soul so I'm sure that'd work! You're brilliant!!

Yeah, it's not all so magical when the big man who could create the sun,moon and the stars couldn't do something as seemingly simple as giving abused children loving homes. That or letting that person who studied so hard and deserves to have a passing grade fail. Strange how at first it seems like a world without prayer would be depressing but in then in reality it's more traumatizing to see a world who focusing more on prayer than on actually taking steps to solve their own issues.

Yes! I think we can have a club with t-shirts!Yes

[Image: notagain.gif]
21-03-2014, 05:16 PM
(21-03-2014 05:06 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Hahaha yes!!! Everyone's afraid of a godless soul so I'm sure that'd work! You're brilliant!!

Might aswell use their ignorance to our advantage Evil_monster

Quote:Yeah, it's not all so magical when the big man who could create the sun,moon and the stars couldn't do something as seemingly simple as giving abused children loving homes. That or letting that person who studied so hard and deserves to have a passing grade fail. Strange how at first it seems like a world without prayer would be depressing but in then in reality it's more traumatizing to see a world who focusing more on prayer than on actually taking steps to solve their own issues.

Yeah, "sorry little, abused child, but god was just too preoccupied helping me find my wallet. Now repent your sins or you'll go to hell. God bless."
Shocking

Quote:Yes! I think we can have a club with t-shirts!Yes

Now you're the one being brilliant! What shall our t-shirts say? We are going to need a slogan, otherwise how will people realize that we are raving lunatics before we open our mouths?