Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Old people memories
So at times I feel I am getting old because of some specific things that just aren't a thing anymore really.

Here are a few things from my teenage years that I still remember fondly.
* CD booklets that had the lyrics printed - discovering that a song or a line was missing or different than on the CD.
* Bellbottoms! Damn I loved those. So comfortable. I'd walk around with them nowadays if I could buy them. I don't give a flying fuck if people would look at me weirdly. Bellbottoms are great.
* War between fans of Backstreet Boys and Fans of NSynch
* Discmans. You know? Like Walkmans but more annoying because the CD keeps hopping when you walk Big Grin I was so happy I had one. And I fondly remember walking to work every morning, listening to my favourite music.
* Mc Donalds Veggie Burger Meal. They soon removed it from the menu. But at least where I lived, it was a thing for a short while and I loved it.
* Grabbing my guitar and my friend, going to a park, and sitting down in the park making music. And as we played the guitar, hearing another group of people with bongos starting to drum along with our music.
* Worrying about grades. School or College. You know the funny thing? Those fucking grades are important for school only. Was a real bummer when shortly after I received my certification, nobody gave a flying fuck about my grades anymore. Big Grin
* Discovering the internet after moving out. We had no internet at home. Boy a new world open up when I moved out and got the Internet. > Walking into a PC equipment store and asking for a static IP Facepalm

You got any fond old-people memories that you want to share?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
11-07-2017, 03:19 PM
RE: Old people memories
* Writing/receiving letters.
* The absence of phones outside houses and payphones.
* The town in which l spent most of my childhood summers. It's completely abandoned now and has fallen to ruin. (l'm a fossil Sadcryface )
* Running around in the woods after dark.
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
11-07-2017, 03:40 PM
The discovery of fire.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 7 users Like JDog554's post
11-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Summer - getting out my bicycle in the morning, collecting the other kids and riding off into the blue yonder. Usually hunger brought us home for lunch, but sometimes we packed lunch and ate it someplace out in nature. We did have to be back home by dark. The wind in our hair, speeding along country roads on our bikes... Oh what glorious freedom! (We lived at the edge of the city - no suburbs yet to spoil the experience).

Later - the invention of the transistor radio. Small and inexpensive. I wasn't allowed to have one in my early teens, but I got one anyway, and cut a hole in one of my many books and hid it in there.

Reading at night with a flashlight under my blanket so the light could not be seen by my parents. Suspenseful books became so much more suspenseful that way...

I could go on and on... but I suppose the most wonderful thing was to be footloose and fancy free. I can't imagine growing up today, under constant supervision. The feeling of freedom was the most precious part of being a kid - and you don't see it again until after retirement.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
11-07-2017, 04:25 PM
@ M. Lingoge - Oh, I agree with writing and receiving letters! I miss that and look so forward to the one handwritten letter I get from an old friend each Christmas (actually more like Thanksgiving...she is always way ahead of the game).

@Leela - I just donated a bunch of bellbottom jeans last weekend.

As a followup to letters - handwritten Thank You notes.

Pouring through the card catalog and the shelves at the library looking for a new author.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Shiiiit......

Try being excited because I got a crystal radio set for Xmas...

No batteries required.

So there I was, an 8 year old lad, firing up the soldering gun so I could put that puppy together so I could put on my earphones and listen to WLS outta Chicago at night and hear them new boys from England - The Beatles......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-07-2017, 04:39 PM
(11-07-2017 04:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Shiiiit......

No batteries required.

So there I was, an 8 year old lad, firing up the soldering gun so I could put that puppy together so I could put on my earphones and listen to WLS outta Chicago at night and hear them new boys from England - The Beatles......

I also remember listening to WLS.

And KAAY out of Little Rock...it used to be a rock station we could pick up late at night but it apparently found religion and changed formats. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

11-07-2017, 04:42 PM
(11-07-2017 04:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Shiiiit......

No batteries required.

I also remember listening to WLS.

And KAAY out of Little Rock...it used to be a rock station we could pick up late at night but it apparently found religion and changed formats. Undecided

And WCFL.... They were the bad boys for a while... With Bob Sirott........

He later "defected" to WLS...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-07-2017, 04:49 PM
(11-07-2017 04:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I also remember listening to WLS.

And WCFL.... They were the bad boys for a while... With Bob Sirott........

KAAY had kind of a deep cuts format late at night...stuff like Deep Purple and Humble Pie. Of course the weather had to be good and you had to hold your transistor radio just right. Tongue:

11-07-2017, 04:56 PM
(11-07-2017 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And WCFL.... They were the bad boys for a while... With Bob Sirott........

KAAY had kind of a deep cuts format late at night...stuff like Deep Purple and Humble Pie. Of course the weather had to be good and you had to hold your transistor radio just right. Tongue:

The really cool station was " the X" , XERF outta Mexico, with The Wolfman.......

It's come in pretty good some nights....

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post