Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 11:25 AM
RE: Old people memories
9/11 -- that's so recent! Some things I remember:

Living in a house with a "milk chute" and having milk delivered

John F. Kennedy's assassination (1963 -- I was in third grade)

The Beatles

The war in Vietnam

1969, the year of three miracles: New York Jets win the Super Bowl, New York Mets win the World Series, and the US puts a man on the moon

Watergate and Nixon's resignation

The "rumble in the jungle" -- Muhammad Ali regains his title by knocking out the "unbeatable" George Foreman

Disco music and punk rock

The Iran hostage crisis

The breakup of the Soviet Union and the end of the Berlin Wall

Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky

9/11
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2017, 11:36 AM
(19-07-2017 11:25 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Watergate and Nixon's resignation

Yeah, that I remember. And I even remember when I heard it. At an Italian beach reading the headlines of a daily. Being just 11, I knew who Nixon was, but I knew nothing about the scandal.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
19-07-2017, 11:56 AM
What about more personal things that you remember...useless knowledge that is lodged in your brain.

We lived in the town where dad went to college until just after I finished third grade (1966)...I don't recall the number of our trailer but I do remember the name of the trailer park and I do remember our phone number from there.

Then off to SW Wisconsin for two years...if I really try, I might be able to remember the phone number there but the address comes easily...of five of us there were four Catholics and a Methodist and we lived on Lutheran Street...that might be why it stuck.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
19-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Guaranteed to make ya spew on a flamin' hot day, and you also had to put up with hordes of blowies...

The Dunny Big Grin

Dad useta drill a hole in last year's phone book, and hang it by a bit of string off a nail in the dunny. Wartime shortages meant we didn't have the luxury of bog rolls. I've probably got thousands of old phone numbers embedded somewhere in the pores of me arse cheeks.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
(19-07-2017 11:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't recall the number of our trailer but I do remember the name of the trailer park and I do remember our phone number from there.

I do remember the phone number of my father's shop. The one it had in the 60ies and early 70ies. 63 19 18.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
19-07-2017, 12:12 PM
(19-07-2017 11:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What about more personal things that you remember...useless knowledge that is lodged in your brain.

We lived in the town where dad went to college until just after I finished third grade (1966)...I don't recall the number of our trailer but I do remember the name of the trailer park and I do remember our phone number from there.

Then off to SW Wisconsin for two years...if I really try, I might be able to remember the phone number there but the address comes easily...of five of us there were four Catholics and a Methodist and we lived on Lutheran Street...that might be why it stuck.

I still remember some old addresses and phone numbers (including the exact address where I lived for the first 10 years of my life, 1955-1965), but they tend to get jumbled up sometimes. Once when I ordered a pizza, they wanted my phone number, and I was having trouble remembering it (because I never call my own number, lol). I pulled some number out of my ass, knowing it wasn't the right one, and they said "We actually have that number on file" -- it turned out it was one of my previous phone numbers, and they still had it in their computer. I remembered the old number better than the current one.
19-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Lorena Bobbitt

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
19-07-2017, 12:22 PM
(19-07-2017 12:16 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Lorena Bobbitt

Laugh out load

The Ballad of the Bobbit Hillbillies
(Sung to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies)

Come listen to my story of a man named John,
A poor Ex-Marine with a little fraction gone,
It seems one night after gettin' with the wife,
she lopped of his schlong with swipe of a knife.

( Penis that is )
( Clean Cut, Missed his nuts )

Well, the next thing you know there's a ginsu by his side,
And Lorena's in the car taken willie for a ride,
She soon got tired of her purple headed friend,
And tossed him out the window as she rounded a bend.

( Curve that is )
( Pricker Shrubs, Wheel Hubs )

She went to the cops and confessed to the attack,
And they called out the hounds just to get his weenie back,
They sniffed and they barked and they pointed "over there"
To John Wayne's henry that was waving in the air.

( Found that is )
( By a fence, Evidence )

Now peter and John couldn't stay apart long,
So a dick doc said "Hey, I can fix your dong!"
A needle and a thread is all you're gonna need,
And the whole world waited til they heard that Johnny Peed.

( Whizzed, That Is )
( Even Seam, Straight Stream )

Well, he healed and he hardened and he took his case to court,
with a cockeyed lawyer since his assets came up short,
They cleared her of assault and acquitted him of rape,
And his pecker was the only one they didn't show on tape.

( Video, That Is )
( Unexposed, Case Closed )
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
19-07-2017, 07:47 PM
[Image: d38c94e73098620d140a134241ea3002.jpg]

Uphill. Both ways.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 4 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
20-07-2017, 11:00 AM
When I was a kid in Australia, this was a common type of "ice box" before the introduction of kerosene or electric refrigerators...

[Image: Wwmus4.JPG]

It's a two door, all-metal fridge, with the top galvanised section housing a large block of ice. The bottom sections are for the food and drinks. An interesting observation is that the badge in the middle of the door states the ice box as an "Esky" brand, which in later years became the generic default term for any portable ice box or car fridge.

Homes with these type of fridges or ice boxes had the ice delivered every few days by a so-called "Ice Man" (hmmm?) who usually had a horse and cart, and carried the ice block to your kitchen on his shoulder with a pick, and with only a hessian bag for padding. (Ice Men were still delivering ice blocks to Melbourne suburbs in the late 1950's.) We used to run along behind his horse and cart during summer holidays, and he's give us large shards of ice that had broken off the corners of some blocks. Yummy. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post