Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: Old people memories
My first was this.

[Image: 1024px-MacIntosh_Plus_img_1317.jpg]

Mine even had an external 20MB storage. I still have it in good working order.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2017, 02:10 PM
(18-07-2017 11:36 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  What I don't miss is the constant reek of tobacco. From time to time I find myself in an establishment where indoor smoking is still permitted and the memory it revives is "My god, this is what EVERYTHING smelled like no matter where you went". Yuck. Except we didn't even think yuck back then, it was such an entrenched feature of the environment no one gave it a thought. Kind of disturbing to discover the strength of vileness we can put up with without a squeal when we don't know any better.

Gawd those really were the bad old days. I remember passing through southern Utah on a camping trip and stopping to have dinner in the only restaurant for miles and miles. Practically everyone in there was smoking. When I asked if they had a non-smoking area the waitress pointed to one table and said that was it.

Of course that wasn't as bad as driving around San Diego as a kid with my mother behind the wheel chain smoking the whole time. Wouldn't let us open any windows because it was too 'cold' out. In San Diego? Give me a break. Of course I'm partially to blame, when she was pregnant with me the doctor recommended she begin smoking to calm her nerves.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
24-07-2017, 02:35 PM
(22-07-2017 01:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-07-2017 01:03 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Our family's first home computer (with cassette tape storage! Ohmy ):

[Image: model1c.jpg]

I had the very same, first one that came out. Stood in line to buy it on that day. Also had a cradle for your phone so you could go on the internet. There were some individual bulletin boards online, and there was compuserve.

I don't know why, the thought of a PC just fascinated me.

My first computer was an Apple IIe, with a whopping 128 KB of memory. I bought it because of frustration with the computers at school (this was back in the early 1980s). For my first programming class, we used punch cards. After waiting in line to get on the machine, you then typed in your program (one punch card for each line), then took your "deck of cards" down to the computer operator, waited around for an hour or two, and got your printout and results. If you had made any mistakes, go back to the punch-card machine and start over. I was damn careful not to make any mistakes!

The next class, we had a VAX computer running Unix. This was a big step up -- you could type in your program, edit it, compile it, and run it yourself -- no "computer operator" needed. However -- you still had to wait in line to get on a terminal, then wait in a queue to log in, and then the editor was painfully slow (what you typed would appear on screen anywhere from 5-10 seconds to a minute or two after you typed it). Eventually I got frustrated enough to go buy the Apple IIe.

One of our instructors told us "Don't bother to use a home computer -- they're too slow and primitive for serious work." Ha! The VAX was undoubtedly greatly superior to my Apple IIe -- if I had been the only one using it. But when you're sharing it with a few hundred other people, it's effectively much slower. My Apple IIe had FORTRAN and Pascal compilers, and could do anything that our assignments required (except for one that required double precision), and I used it for every assignment except that one -- and got perfect scores on all of them. And I could do all this at home, at my convenience, instead of waiting in lines for hours at school.

Anyway, that's my "old people memory" for today -- punch cards and FORTRAN and the Apple IIe -- and 128 KB being considered a lot of memory.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-07-2017, 02:37 PM
In my high school you had to take a test to qualify to be in the computer class. And if you got in the class you got a lot of punch card results for your work.

which reminds me....I remember "hanging chads."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
24-07-2017, 02:43 PM
(24-07-2017 02:10 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 11:36 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  What I don't miss is the constant reek of tobacco. From time to time I find myself in an establishment where indoor smoking is still permitted and the memory it revives is "My god, this is what EVERYTHING smelled like no matter where you went". Yuck. Except we didn't even think yuck back then, it was such an entrenched feature of the environment no one gave it a thought. Kind of disturbing to discover the strength of vileness we can put up with without a squeal when we don't know any better.

Gawd those really were the bad old days. I remember passing through southern Utah on a camping trip and stopping to have dinner in the only restaurant for miles and miles. Practically everyone in there was smoking. When I asked if they had a non-smoking area the waitress pointed to one table and said that was it.

Of course that wasn't as bad as driving around San Diego as a kid with my mother behind the wheel chain smoking the whole time. Wouldn't let us open any windows because it was too 'cold' out. In San Diego? Give me a break. Of course I'm partially to blame, when she was pregnant with me the doctor recommended she begin smoking to calm her nerves.

And yet, on a recent post (on a freaking science page, albeit on fb), about loneliness (in general, as a psychological condition, *not* in the sense of "not gettin' any") there were people (men, I'm sorry to say), whining how in the good days of ye olde, smoking was a social thing. Also, how nowadays they cannot even approach a woman for fear of being labelled creeps.

Damn me, for not wanting to stink of smoke (and suffocate on your second-hand poison) and for not being a willing and grateful receptacle for your unasked attentions and bodily protuberances, just because you deigned to grace me with your consideration. Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
24-07-2017, 03:10 PM
(24-07-2017 02:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 02:10 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Gawd those really were the bad old days. I remember passing through southern Utah on a camping trip and stopping to have dinner in the only restaurant for miles and miles. Practically everyone in there was smoking. When I asked if they had a non-smoking area the waitress pointed to one table and said that was it.

And yet, on a recent post (on a freaking science page, albeit on fb), about loneliness (in general, as a psychological condition, *not* in the sense of "not gettin' any") there were people (men, I'm sorry to say), whining how in the good days of ye olde, smoking was a social thing. Also, how nowadays they cannot even approach a woman for fear of being labelled creeps.

Damn me, for not wanting to stink of smoke (and suffocate on your second-hand poison) and for not being a willing and grateful receptacle for your unasked attentions and bodily protuberances, just because you deigned to grace me with your consideration. Facepalm

I remember being a smoker (hey, it ran in the family -- when you grow up in a house with both parents smoking, you get the idea that it's a normal thing for adults to do -- and gee, every single person in my extended family is a smoker) and feeling entitled to smoke anywhere and everywhere. Any place that didn't allow me to smoke was persecuting me. Finally, after my mother got lung cancer and I was diagnosed with diabetes, I got smart and quit. That was almost 14 years ago, and now I'm glad that most places don't allow smoking.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Ah yeah, the entitlement of smokers (coincidentally, of anti-PC bigots, too. No, bozo, no one's stopping you from killing yourself or being a vile human being. Just, for the sake of society, do it in the privacy of your own house). It's like it's their right, including to come stand right next to me at the bus stop with that vile thing, even though there's PLENTY of space Dodgy

Good on you for kicking ir, Grasshopper, and sorry about your mum. My dad still smokes, not an easy habit to break, I know.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Here's a Post 1460 Versalog "computer" that was given to me (no way I could have paid for one myself). No affordable calculators in the '60s, or even in the early '70s.

[Image: AN48Mnt.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-07-2017, 04:37 PM
(24-07-2017 02:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 02:10 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Gawd those really were the bad old days. I remember passing through southern Utah on a camping trip and stopping to have dinner in the only restaurant for miles and miles. Practically everyone in there was smoking. When I asked if they had a non-smoking area the waitress pointed to one table and said that was it.

Very briefly I had a gf who smoked when I was in mid/late twenties. Kissing her -anywhere- was like licking an ashtray. I must have been pretty desperate.

24-07-2017, 04:39 PM
(24-07-2017 03:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 02:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  And yet, on a recent post (on a freaking science page, albeit on fb), about loneliness (in general, as a psychological condition, *not* in the sense of "not gettin' any") there were people (men, I'm sorry to say), whining how in the good days of ye olde, smoking was a social thing. Also, how nowadays they cannot even approach a woman for fear of being labelled creeps.

I remember being a smoker (hey, it ran in the family -- when you grow up in a house with both parents smoking, you get the idea that it's a normal thing for adults to do -- and gee, every single person in my extended family is a smoker) and feeling entitled to smoke anywhere and everywhere. Any place that didn't allow me to smoke was persecuting me. Finally, after my mother got lung cancer and I was diagnosed with diabetes, I got smart and quit. That was almost 14 years ago, and now I'm glad that most places don't allow smoking.

My wife smoked up until she got pregnant with my stepson who if 40 now. She took a class to smoke when she found out she was preggers. Quit and hasn't looked back - good thing for me/us.