Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2017, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2017 05:26 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Old people memories
(24-07-2017 02:35 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The next class, we had a VAX computer running Unix. This was a big step up -- you could type in your program, edit it, compile it, and run it yourself -- no "computer operator" needed. However -- you still had to wait in line to get on a terminal, then wait in a queue to log in, and then the editor was painfully slow (what you typed would appear on screen anywhere from 5-10 seconds to a minute or two after you typed it). Eventually I got frustrated enough to go buy the Apple IIe.

My first computer was an Apple IIe too.

I also remember VAX terminals connected to the mainframe. We had two in our engineering department at Reliance Electric in the early 1980s, shared by about 30 engineers.

At lunchtime and after hours, we played Adventure and Dungeon on them. (Dungeon was later split into Zork I, II, and III for PCs.)

Old people memories, indeed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
24-07-2017, 05:33 PM
(24-07-2017 04:37 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Very briefly I had a gf who smoked when I was in mid/late twenties. Kissing her -anywhere- was like licking an ashtray. I must have been pretty desperate.

Sounds lovely Wink

Frankly, I don't even like sitting by a fire outside because the smoke gets in your hair, and clothes and everywhere and it's just yucky...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
30-07-2017, 04:09 PM
The Furry Freak Brothers

Fat Freddy's Cat

Reefer Madness

Saw that last one again a few years ago. It was really sad how not-funny it was when you're not stoned. I about split my pants laughing when I saw it the first time.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
30-07-2017, 07:25 PM
FM converter.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
30-07-2017, 08:19 PM
(30-07-2017 04:09 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  The FABULOUS Furry Freak Brothers

Fat Freddy's Cat

Reefer Madness

Saw that last one again a few years ago. It was really sad how not-funny it was when you're not stoned. I about split my pants laughing when I saw it the first time.

FTFY

I read ZAP Comix all the time, as a kid. Hilarious! The Checkered Demon was probably my favorite ("it's a nice day for something"), though I really did like the Zap Eye Warriors. Reefer Madness...well, I pointed my sons to this "movie" as an example of incredibly bad cinematography about drugs. When I watched it in '67 or thereabouts, I was thinking Huh really? And I wasn't into drugs. That movie makes NO sense.
30-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Yikes. Thanks for the correction. I'm appalled with myself for not remembering the "fabulous!"

15-08-2017, 08:34 PM
[Image: b5b9dd71331c5dc71f2a7a0bb7824008.jpg]

I almost think the hose were worse than the dress. And seriously, doesn't it look like she's got six toes?

Yesterday, 06:05 AM
(30-07-2017 08:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 04:09 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  The FABULOUS Furry Freak Brothers

Fat Freddy's Cat

Reefer Madness

FTFY

I read ZAP Comix all the time, as a kid. Hilarious! The Checkered Demon was probably my favorite ("it's a nice day for something"), though I really did like the Zap Eye Warriors. Reefer Madness...well, I pointed my sons to this "movie" as an example of incredibly bad cinematography about drugs. When I watched it in '67 or thereabouts, I was thinking Huh really? And I wasn't into drugs. That movie makes NO sense.

Are we having fun yet??

Signed

Zippy the Pinhead

Big Grin