Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 04:56 PM
RE: Old people memories
Librarians who used to say "shhhhh." Honestly they don't do that around here anymore. People just talk and talk on their cell phones and listen to crap on the public computers and the librarians say nothing. Or worse yet, the librarians just join in. Apparently my grandson will not know what it means to have to be quiet in a library.

My record player that played 33s 45s AND 78s. I am only 58, but we inherited a lot of big band stuff from Hubby's parents on the original 78s. And since we are swing dancers it would mean a lot to be able to play them. Scratchy background and all. Yes, we do have pretty much all of them on ipod and/or itunes. Yes the "quality" IS better. But it's just not the same as putting a needle on them.

Regrets include NOT starting to swing dance until after my parent-in-laws were gone. They would have LOVED us dancing to "their" kind of music.

And by the way, out first "dinosaur" moment came when we were still in our twenties and mentioned Bob Dylan to an 18-year-old who was working for us. He hadn't heard of him. It was painful.

And the first %#@&* teenager who offered me a "senior" drink was when I was in my late thirties. I seriously wanted to kick that pimply-faced little shit's ass.

Sorry. I got sidetracked. Quite normal for me. At my age, my mind wanders.

What were we talking about?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
11-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Milk and other dairy type products delivered to your front porch and left in a metal box. If you wanted something other than your regular order you left a note for the milkman.

Having someone pump your gas, clean your windshield, and check your oil even if you were only buying two dollars worth of gas.

Having your groceries bagged (in paper bags) and taken out and loaded into your car by employees of the grocery store.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
11-07-2017, 05:01 PM
(11-07-2017 04:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Milk and other dairy type products delivered to your front porch and left in a metal box. If you wanted something other than your regular order you left a note for the milkman.

Having someone pump your gas, clean your windshield, and check your oil even if you were only buying two dollars worth of gas.

Having your groceries bagged (in paper bags) and taken out and loaded into your car by employees of the grocery store.

YES! When we first moved to tiny town in 1987 they still delivered milk to my neighbor's door. And we only had to dial four numbers to call anyone in town and 5 to call anyone in the bigger town 10 miles away. I remember when I was little my grandparents could call anyone in their town just dialing 3 numbers.

Anjele---what is the cheapest gas price you can remember? I remember 26 cents a gallon when I was in elementary school. I remember noticing that a gallon of gas was the same price as my school lunch. 25 cents for the lunch and a penny for the milk.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
11-07-2017, 05:06 PM
(11-07-2017 05:01 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Milk and other dairy type products delivered to your front porch and left in a metal box. If you wanted something other than your regular order you left a note for the milkman.

YES! When we first moved to tiny town in 1987 they still delivered milk to my neighbor's door. And we only had to dial four numbers to call anyone in town and 5 to call anyone in the bigger town 10 miles away. I remember when I was little my grandparents could call anyone in their town just dialing 3 numbers.

Anjele---what is the cheapest gas price you can remember? I remember 26 cents a gallon when I was in elementary school. I remember noticing that a gallon of gas was the same price as my school lunch. 25 cents for the lunch and a penny for the milk.

I think the first that I remember was about 25 cents for a gallon of gas.

In elementary school lunch was also a quarter though we purchased tokens and used those when we went through the lunch line. This was in 6th and 7th grade when we ate in the basement of the church and the food was fantastic. Then we got stuck having to eat at the high school...the food there was awful.

I don't recall what milk cost as I was never a big fan and didn't buy extra.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I wasn't a milk fan either, but back then it was milk or nothing. And I'm pretty sure chocolate milk wasn't even an option until at least junior high school.

11-07-2017, 06:24 PM
(11-07-2017 02:49 PM)Leerob Wrote:  You got any fond old-people memories that you want to share?

* Morning and evening newspapers

* Pancakes with homemade syrup for breakfast

* Knowing our neighbors

* Playing sports with the neighbor kids

* County and state fairs

* Family vacations

* Small record and book stores

* Feeling like a big fish in a small pond
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Candy bars for a nickel

"Be back by dinner" - said to a 5-year-old

Rotary dial telephones with tangled-up cords

Gas "shockingly expensive" at $0.75/gallon

Metal jungle gyms on asphalt playgrounds

Drive-in movie theaters
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
11-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Cruising the loop...from the Basilica to the drive in (complete with car hops) that was past the city park...and back again...over and over and over again because there wasn't much else to do.

11-07-2017, 07:02 PM
I remember when Ike was in the white house. The last decent republican to do so.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-07-2017, 07:10 PM
(11-07-2017 06:36 PM)julep Wrote:  Candy bars for a nickel

"Be back by dinner" - said to a 5-year-old

Rotary dial telephones with tangled-up cords

Gas "shockingly expensive" at $0.75/gallon

Metal jungle gyms on asphalt playgrounds

Drive-in movie theaters

We have a drive-in theater about 20 miles from here. Hoping to get our grandson there this summer. He is finally old enough, we think. And they show first-run movies. Generally opening the same night as in the "big cities." They don't show anything racy but we tried to make out the last time we went there anyway. Found out our bodies just don't bend the way they used to.

And we have a fully functional rotary dial phone in our dining room. LOVE watching the occasional teenager try to figure out how to use it.

Hubby saw this thread over my shoulder when we were talking about gas prices at 26 cents and said he can remember 17 cents a gallon. And 17 cents for a pack of cigarettes.

[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post