Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2017, 01:49 PM
RE: Old people memories
My entire summer camp (probably around 120 of us, plus camp counselors) gathered tightly in front of a tiny black and white TV (only time it was ever allowed there) to watch "man walk on the moon."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
13-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Renting movies at Blockbuster, or even better the local video stores. The small town I grew up in had a good 10 stores, with only about 3 of them being national franchises. And I should specify, renting VHS tapes.

Renting NES games. Some of my favorite memories are when I'd rent a game with a friend in my neighborhood, we'd spend the night at one of our houses, and then play the game all weekend and usually finish it.

I miss MTV, like the real MTV when they had videos you'd watch hours for it to come on.

I miss going to record stores. I'm too young to remember much of actual records being sold, but I remember buying cassettes and CDs.

And funny enough I miss the mall. I know, malls still exist, but I mean the feeling of going to the mall when I was a kid. Where I grew up the closet mall was about 45 minute away, which seemed like a long time back then. So for me going to the mall was a big deal, because I would only get to go about once every 2-3 months. And malls had stores then I didn't have in my town, like KayBee Toys and book stores and Funcoland (before GameStop took over). Now I hate going to the mall, I get in and out as fast as possible.

I guess a lot of my memories are more so experiencing things as a kid vs. experiencing them as an adult.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
13-07-2017, 02:22 PM
(13-07-2017 02:18 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Renting movies at Blockbuster, or even better the local video stores. The small town I grew up in had a good 10 stores, with only about 3 of them being national franchises. And I should specify, renting VHS tapes.

Renting NES games. Some of my favorite memories are when I'd rent a game with a friend in my neighborhood, we'd spend the night at one of our houses, and then play the game all weekend and usually finish it.

I miss MTV, like the real MTV when they had videos you'd watch hours for it to come on.

I miss going to record stores. I'm too young to remember much of actual records being sold, but I remember buying cassettes and CDs.

And funny enough I miss the mall. I know, malls still exist, but I mean the feeling of going to the mall when I was a kid. Where I grew up the closet mall was about 45 minute away, which seemed like a long time back then. So for me going to the mall was a big deal, because I would only get to go about once every 2-3 months. And malls had stores then I didn't have in my town, like KayBee Toys and book stores and Funcoland (before GameStop took over). Now I hate going to the mall, I get in and out as fast as possible.

I guess a lot of my memories are more so experiencing things as a kid vs. experiencing them as an adult.

It brings to mind - me selling bongs I manufactured out of acrylic tubing and flat stock to Boogie Records in Kalamazoo.

6 months after I started turning a nice profit, the city outlawed the sale of paraphernalia.......

Bastards....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-07-2017, 02:22 PM
"I guess a lot of my memories are more so experiencing things as a kid vs. experiencing them as an adult."

[Image: 3b418c6e03a112f784c0fdeddd702ef9.jpg]

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 8 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
14-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Ha this reminds me of my mindset from about age 15 through my early to mid 20s, which was it was the worst thing possible to be home with no plans on a Friday or Saturday night. If I didn't do anything I'd make shit up about what fun I had the following Monday.

And now, not having anything to do on a Friday or Saturday night is paradise. I actually get pissed if we're supposed to go to a dinner party or some get together.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
14-07-2017, 01:24 PM
The first time I heard the words "Jane, you ignorant slut."

Every time Gilda Radner said "Never mind."

Or for that matter, everything Gilda Radner ever said.

And of course, CANDYGRAM!!!

And unrelated to SNL....banana flavored rolling papers.

14-07-2017, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 01:43 PM by Loom.)
• "camping" in an open tent in my living room and being terrified of the shadows cast by passing car headlights.

• watching 9/11 unfold on TV and thinking it was a movie (I was 7) because of how unreal it was.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
14-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Old times:

* A free-range childhood

* Dad sending me to the store armed with a note to buy his beer and cigarettes -- $1.99 for his six-pack of Coors with the pull-tabs, and $.69 for his Marlboro reds.

* No-pads tackle football during lunch at school.

* 8-tracks and cassettes.

* Tearing up the town on skateboards and/or BMX bikes. When we lived in El Paso, our apartment complex drained the pool for the winter -- I learnt to ride the deep-end bowl, and handstands, too.

(11-07-2017 08:18 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  A proper manual transmission Drinking Beverage

I still drive one, a 95 Ford Ranger 5-speed. I've driven sticks all my life, except for the six years 2007-2013.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-07-2017, 02:25 PM
When I was 7, beer cans still had to be pierced with an opener. My dad told me to bring him a beer, and being the helpful little guy I was, I opened it. Trouble was, I agitated it quite a bit in the process. Once I got it pierced, it shot beer all the way to the ceiling. So there I was, running around the kitchen, trying to figure out where to put it. Beer dripping from the ceiling, beer on the floor, beer on me. My mom was pissed! I didn't know about carbonation; we only ever got Kool-Aid, if anything. My dad said that ceiling needed cleaning, anyway. That just made my mom even angrier!
14-07-2017, 04:26 PM
(14-07-2017 02:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When I was 7, beer cans still had to be pierced with an opener.

You mean a church key.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post