Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: Old people memories
(14-07-2017 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 02:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When I was 7, beer cans still had to be pierced with an opener.

You mean a church key.

I have a couple of those still. I am pretty sure they belonged to my grandparents. I have one that is stamped with the Olympia Beer logo and the other one with Schlitz. I still use them to open cans of evaporated milk.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2017, 04:39 PM
(14-07-2017 04:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You mean a church key.

I have a couple of those still. I am pretty sure they belonged to my grandparents. I have one that is stamped with the Olympia Beer logo and the other one with Schlitz. I still use them to open cans of evaporated milk.

I carry one on my keyring and have for longer than I care to admit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-07-2017, 04:43 PM
There was no canned beer when I grew up - it was all bottled and you did need an opener too. No twist top.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-07-2017, 05:54 PM
(14-07-2017 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 02:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When I was 7, beer cans still had to be pierced with an opener.

You mean a church key.

Yes, that is in the vernacular. But it is still a can opener.
15-07-2017, 04:12 AM
As a kid I remember the outside toilet, milk and coal delivered by horse and cart and the rag and bone man. He'd collect unwanted clothes etc... and give the kids a gift, usually a slingshot for boys.

Later in life I remember having a discussion in a pub about CDs. I said that they would never catch on, that vinyl records would remain and win out in the end.

Betamax v VHS video tapes. A friend of mine came across a small consignment of blank Betamax tapes (they fell off the back of a lorry). I managed to find a buyer and we sold the lot. I often wonder what that guy did with the tapes as VHS became the market leader just after that. Ah, the good old days..

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
15-07-2017, 06:05 AM
(14-07-2017 05:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You mean a church key.

Yes, that is in the vernacular. But it is still a can opener.

It was just a nod to the theme of the thread

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Wrist watches

Being forced to serve as slave labor for a neighbor's garden, shelling peas in exchange for what had to have been the best sweet Silver Queen corn on the face of the earth. What I wouldn't do for an ear of that corn now...

When school buses were required to stop at railroad tracks, the door would open and a sacrificial child had to run across the railroad tracks before the bus could cross. Whatever kid was chosen that day would NEVER look for trains so looking back, I have to ask WTF were they thinking? Whose bright idea was THAT?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
15-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Popcorn made in a cast iron skillet...drizzled with real butter. Drooling

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Flashback!

JIFFY POP!

[Image: 2-24-15-Jiffy-Pop.png]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
15-07-2017, 07:13 PM
(15-07-2017 06:51 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Wrist watches

Being forced to serve as slave labor for a neighbor's garden, shelling peas in exchange for what had to have been the best sweet Silver Queen corn on the face of the earth. What I wouldn't do for an ear of that corn now...

When school buses were required to stop at railroad tracks, the door would open and a sacrificial child had to run across the railroad tracks before the bus could cross. Whatever kid was chosen that day would NEVER look for trains so looking back, I have to ask WTF were they thinking? Whose bright idea was THAT?

That train thing must be from your area of the country. I've NEVER seen that, or I'd remember it! That's felony stupid, to make a kid do something like that.