Old people memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 07:26 PM
RE: Old people memories
I'm 58 and in NC. I don't remember when that stopped but hubby remembers it as well. I don't recall them ever having any trouble finding volunteers. The kid (age 38 now) always lived close enough to walk here in Tinytown so she was not a bus rider. Before we moved here when she was in elementary school I drove her. I could walk to elementary school but after that most days I was driven to school. I rode the bus a few times though. Served as that sacrificial volunteer at least a couple of times too.

I just tried to find anything online about it and the only thing I see is an article referencing a 1938 Utah tragedy between a train and school bus. It mentions that apparently they used to have a similar policy for using a kid as lookout.

"For a time, a "lookout" was also required — a student who would step off the bus and visually check down the tracks. Later, this practice was abandoned because it put the lookout in jeopardy."

Hell at least in NC they let the kid run across the tracks. It looks like in Utah they had the kid stand on the tracks and look!

[Image: Bus-crash-in-1938-led-to-train-laws.html]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2017, 09:36 PM
(15-07-2017 07:26 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I'm 58 and in NC. I don't remember when that stopped but hubby remembers it as well. I don't recall them ever having any trouble finding volunteers. The kid (age 38 now) always lived close enough to walk here in Tinytown so she was not a bus rider. Before we moved here when she was in elementary school I drove her. I could walk to elementary school but after that most days I was driven to school. I rode the bus a few times though. Served as that sacrificial volunteer at least a couple of times too.

I just tried to find anything online about it and the only thing I see is an article referencing a 1938 Utah tragedy between a train and school bus. It mentions that apparently they used to have a similar policy for using a kid as lookout.

"For a time, a "lookout" was also required — a student who would step off the bus and visually check down the tracks. Later, this practice was abandoned because it put the lookout in jeopardy."

Hell at least in NC they let the kid run across the tracks. It looks like in Utah they had the kid stand on the tracks and look!

[Image: Bus-crash-in-1938-led-to-train-laws.html]

Here in California the bus driver opens the door to hear if a train is coming, and we use sacrificial fat old people as crossing guards in the crosswalks, not the young. Rolleyes At least for the city I live in, people stop for red lights and stop signs, especially when kids are in the area, most of the time. Dodgy I feel like getting a GoPro and mounting it to the dash to record the number of people blowing through stop signs/lights, then send the video to the police. I'm not really that much for a police state, but a reminder post card about stopping for stop signs/lights and looking for people would be a welcome thing, IMO.

Having a kid go stand on the tracks is one of the stupider ideas I have seen in my life. It's tough to judge a train's speed even if you're a lot older, given the data on how many people are killed at train crossings.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-07-2017, 08:27 PM
[Image: fc46c515a58da9679ee08f2636397eb9.jpg]

[Image: funny-animals-311.jpg]

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
18-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Sorry, I am at a loss. Don't railroad tracks have those?

[Image: 2-20.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
18-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Some do, some don't. And there were far fewer with gates and bells when I was a kid.

Interesting that your picture of the sign is different from ours. I'd never thought about the fact that they wouldn't be universal.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRONpRf0E3CXgnDP2HNR0Y...-Xd4G9WGQg]

18-07-2017, 08:53 PM
When I remember whatever events that took place in the pre-9/11 years.

18-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Yeah. I remember my husband calling, waking me up saying, "We are at war."

I also remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when Challenger went down.

[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
18-07-2017, 11:36 PM
What I don't miss is the constant reek of tobacco. From time to time I find myself in an establishment where indoor smoking is still permitted and the memory it revives is "My god, this is what EVERYTHING smelled like no matter where you went". Yuck. Except we didn't even think yuck back then, it was such an entrenched feature of the environment no one gave it a thought. Kind of disturbing to discover the strength of vileness we can put up with without a squeal when we don't know any better.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
19-07-2017, 02:10 AM
(18-07-2017 08:57 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Yeah. I remember my husband calling, waking me up saying, "We are at war."

I also remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when Challenger went down.

Being one continent removed, I do remember where I was and what I did on 9/11. I remember thinking, shit, that guy's gonna nuke Afghanistan. I was pleasantly surprised when he only invaded.

As for Challenger, that wasn't that big news for us. I'm sure we heard about it and I saw the images of the shuttle breaking aprt for about a million times in the meantime, but the big news for us was Tschernobil, two months later. We had a D&D session when we first heard about it.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
19-07-2017, 11:18 AM
(13-07-2017 10:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Here in America (aka the center of the universe), they have always been fries, short for French fried potatoes (to distinguish them from American fried potatoes).

I believe that the GIs in Europe thought that as the Belgians provided them with potato "fries" they thought they were French because they spoke... um... French LOL. So more correctly they should be known as "Belgian Fries".

Quote:Potato chips, on the other hand, are thin, flat, and roughly disc-shaped (although the discs are usually warped). They are commonly sold in bags, and eaten cold. What do you call those in England and Australia?

In Aus... potato chips. Never "crisps". (Although it can vary a bit from state to state.)

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.