Old pubs and women and water melon wine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I really miss at least some of the old 60s,70s pubs.
In the 60s in Australia pubs closed at 6P.M. and there was what was known as the six o'clock swill. At 5.45 drinkers would line up their pots to swig down before 'time gentlemen please' at 6.15, when there was much raucos behaviour and skylarking.

As for women, they were not allowed to drink in bars, having to pay more in the ladies lounge, which also served as a pick up point for blokes. In 1968 I remember drinking with mates in the pub while taking out grog to our girl friends parked outside. Well it saved us money, didn't it?

In those days men congegated about a long bar and talked 'guy stuff' or played pool. Betting in pubs were illegal, but there were S.P. bookies and betting shops, at least in Tasmania, where I was living at the time.Thats a small island off Oz, where I married my first wife.

Ah for the good all days, a bird and a bottle, down by some Tassy crick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Oh my goodness. I thought the thread was talking about old pubes. Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-10-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: Old pubs and women and water melon wine.
(18-10-2012 07:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh my goodness. I thought the thread was talking about old pubes. Confused

WEll those too if you like.....BUT NOT MINE!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
18-10-2012, 07:54 PM
(18-10-2012 07:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 07:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh my goodness. I thought the thread was talking about old pubes. Confused

WEll those too if you like.....BUT NOT MINE!

Ah, well I would've enjoyed an old pub, but I'd rather the birds be allowed in as well. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-10-2012, 02:54 AM
RE: Old pubs and women and water melon wine.
Water melon wine? Off to Google>