Oldest human DNA found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Oldest human DNA found
Don't know if this was posted anywhere on the forum but if not, here it is.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/09/health/old...?hpt=hp_t3

Not being a scientist, I don't know how legit this report is or if this needs to be studied further. Anyway it seems to me that theists might have some problems with this ancient DNA.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: Oldest human DNA found
Is it Mr.Woof's?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
11-12-2013, 04:33 PM
I think it is the DNA of Rush Limbaugh, because he is a dinosaur and proof that evolution produces stupid fucking people.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2013, 07:49 AM
It is the oldest find of a human like species, not of a homo sapiens. In the article it states that they assume that it is an ancestor of neanderthals.

Also, they unraveled the genetic code of the mitochondrial DNA, not the nuclear DNA. It might be new knowledge for lots of people on this forum, but we have DNA in our cell nuclei and also in our mitochondrias. Mitochondria were bacteria and at some point underwent a symbiosis with eukaryotes, granting them an evolutionary advantage. (in case you don't know what Mitochondria are: They are organelles within eukaryotic cells, which are essential for generating energy from high-energy molecules such as sugars or fatty acids)

The interesting bit is that mitochondria have their own DNA and all mitochondrial proteins that are in the mitochondrial matrix are encoded by its own DNA, and not the nuclear DNA.

The mitochondrial DNA does not offer much insight into the evolution of the species itself. For evolutionary studies, the nuclear DNA is much more significant. Nevertheless, mitochondrial DNA can give some interesting new insights.

Any questions?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
18-12-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 08:28 AM by Free Thought.)
(11-12-2013 04:33 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I think it is the DNA of Rush Limbaugh, because he is a dinosaur and proof that evolution produces stupid fucking people.

Your perpetual use of pointless ad hominems against people you don't like saddens me, especially when you attempt to use science as part of it, succeeding only in besmirching the research done.

On a track more conducive to the thread:

(18-12-2013 07:49 AM)Youkay Wrote:  It is the oldest find of a human like species, not of a homo sapiens. In the article it states that they assume that it is an ancestor of neanderthals.

Also, they unraveled the genetic code of the mitochondrial DNA, not the nuclear DNA. It might be new knowledge for lots of people on this forum, but we have DNA in our cell nuclei and also in our mitochondrias. Mitochondria were bacteria and at some point underwent a symbiosis with eukaryotes, granting them an evolutionary advantage. (in case you don't know what Mitochondria are: They are organelles within eukaryotic cells, which are essential for generating energy from high-energy molecules such as sugars or fatty acids)

The interesting bit is that mitochondria have their own DNA and all mitochondrial proteins that are in the mitochondrial matrix are encoded by its own DNA, and not the nuclear DNA.

The mitochondrial DNA does not offer much insight into the evolution of the species itself. For evolutionary studies, the nuclear DNA is much more significant. Nevertheless, mitochondrial DNA can give some interesting new insights.

Any questions?

I remember reading that mitochondrial DNA is useful for tracking an individuals ancestry to an extent through markers found localised within, but I never checked up on the claim; your take?

Also:
When it comes to biology my main strengths lie in basic genetics and ecology.
Happen to know much about cellular structure, energy transfer and molecular works within cells...? Not to great there and I'll need to improve my understanding there for the upcoming year (my final year of school, wanna make a decent grade, you know)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-12-2013, 09:42 AM
(18-12-2013 08:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I remember reading that mitochondrial DNA is useful for tracking an individuals ancestry to an extent through markers found localised within, but I never checked up on the claim; your take?

MtDNA is passed from a mother to her offspring, but the male doesn't pass it on (there is some MtDNA in the engine that drives a sperm, though, just not in the head). Therefore, it is a good way to track changes in a group over a long period of time because changes in variation are most prominent in males. They are essentially genetic snapshots in time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
18-12-2013, 09:49 AM
(18-12-2013 09:42 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I remember reading that mitochondrial DNA is useful for tracking an individuals ancestry to an extent through markers found localised within, but I never checked up on the claim; your take?

MtDNA is passed from a mother to her offspring, but the male doesn't pass it on (there is some MtDNA in the engine that drives a sperm, though, just not in the head). Therefore, it is a good way to track changes in a group over a long period of time because changes in variation are most prominent in males. They are essentially genetic snapshots in time.

Cool, what I read seems to be accurate.

Thanks for the confirmation there, Ghost.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.