Oldest human ancestor found in lake sludge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 11:32 PM
RE: Oldest human ancestor found in lake sludge
(29-04-2012 08:35 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  If you just google the term Collodictyon you can get more details on what it is and why it's an ancestor of humans (and likely most if not all things that have ever or will ever live on Earth).

They've been studying this thing for decades, so I'm assuming that they've been fairly thorough and careful not to make any assertions that aren't backed up by reams of evidence.
As far as I can tell, the only place where this claim that it is "man's oldest relative" is in newspapers, and not a single one of them cites where the fact came from. The original study doesn't mention anything about this idea in the abstract, so it's probably safe to assume that it is another alternative that I hadn't considered --- journalist sensationalism. It's obviously a new form of life, and there are claims that it's ancestral to the eukaryote (like a human cell), but since this organism is still alive and has been evolving for a billion years, it's more likely just a cousin of a sort, sharing a common ancestor --- it would simply resemble the common ancestor more than we do.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 06:28 AM
(29-04-2012 11:32 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(29-04-2012 08:35 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  If you just google the term Collodictyon you can get more details on what it is and why it's an ancestor of humans (and likely most if not all things that have ever or will ever live on Earth).

They've been studying this thing for decades, so I'm assuming that they've been fairly thorough and careful not to make any assertions that aren't backed up by reams of evidence.
As far as I can tell, the only place where this claim that it is "man's oldest relative" is in newspapers, and not a single one of them cites where the fact came from. The original study doesn't mention anything about this idea in the abstract, so it's probably safe to assume that it is another alternative that I hadn't considered --- journalist sensationalism. It's obviously a new form of life, and there are claims that it's ancestral to the eukaryote (like a human cell), but since this organism is still alive and has been evolving for a billion years, it's more likely just a cousin of a sort, sharing a common ancestor --- it would simply resemble the common ancestor more than we do.
You could be right, or you could be making several assumptions that are not based on fact.

It's likely that the only way for you, I, or anyone else to truly grasp the full implications of and lineage of this peculiar little critter is to dive head-first into all of the literature as well as speak with the scientists that have studied it for the past two decades. It probably wouldn't hurt to also get out into the field and get some hands-on experience.

Either way, it's an interesting discovery and one worth sharing.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
30-04-2012, 11:44 AM
But if the Collodictyon is an ancestor of humans, then why don't we see Collodictyons giving birth to humans today?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
30-04-2012, 12:08 PM
(30-04-2012 11:44 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  But if the Collodictyon is an ancestor of humans, then why don't we see Collodictyons giving birth to humans today?
Ugh! I hate it when I get proved wrong by this argument. And it works every time!!!!

I am forced to concede, evolution is a myth. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
30-04-2012, 02:34 PM
(29-04-2012 11:32 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  ...so it's probably safe to assume that it is another alternative that I hadn't considered --- journalist sensationalism.

Man, I don't read nuttin without considering sensationalism. Tongue

Here's another article. This thing is a eukaryote, and we're a eukaryote, so obviously... sensationalism. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Car! What kind of car was he driving? My Uncle George has been missing for years... Huh

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea