Olivet discourse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Olivet discourse
Does anyone know of reliable content to use in response to someone talking about the prophecy's of Jesus and the Olivet discourse?

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: Olivet discourse
That's the bit talking about the signs of his return right?
Didn't he say that the generation wouldn't pass before he returned, that there were those in the crowd who would live to see his return?

Aren't they all kinda... dead?

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 11:49 PM
(29-04-2013 11:28 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  That's the bit talking about the signs of his return right?
Didn't he say that the generation wouldn't pass before he returned, that there were those in the crowd who would live to see his return?

He's actually educated on it and I don't think that will convince him Sad

30-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Prophesy was not fortune-telling. It was forbidden in Leviticus. The role of a prophet was not to tell future events. It was to give advice to his contemporaries. The bs about prediction is more about Hollywood, than scholarship. Tell him he needs a course in scripture. The entire enterprise of prdiction of future events is misguided.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

30-04-2013, 01:26 AM
(29-04-2013 11:49 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 11:28 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  That's the bit talking about the signs of his return right?

He's actually educated on it and I don't think that will convince him Sad

SO he has a good explanation for this then?

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
30-04-2013, 10:46 AM
I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a any solid material that debunks this to a degree.

30-04-2013, 11:01 AM
(30-04-2013 10:46 AM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a any solid material that debunks this to a degree.

What exactly is he arguing about the Olive tree, cause there have been a few theist that argued that the olive tree represents Israel, and that 40 years after Israel became a country Christ would return. This was before 1987 of course since a biblical generation is 40 years and Israel became a country in 1947 ( or was it 48?, going of the top of my head). So I don't know what he is trying to argue in terms of that verse?.

Just an outsider looking inn.
30-04-2013, 11:13 AM
(30-04-2013 11:01 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 10:46 AM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a any solid material that debunks this to a degree.

What exactly is he arguing about the Olive tree, cause there have been a few theist that argued that the olive tree represents Israel, and that 40 years after Israel became a country Christ would return. This was before 1987 of course since a biblical generation is 40 years and Israel became a country in 1947 ( or was it 48?, going of the top of my head). So I don't know what he is trying to argue in terms of that verse?.

What we have for the most part moved on to is the prophecy about the temple of Jerusalem being destroyed within the current generation I need to look up the exact verse.

30-04-2013, 11:23 AM
This is what he said.

Jesus said that the Temple in Jerusalem was going to be destroyed before the generation he was speaking to were gone. He said that in 33 AD. Rome destroyed the Temple in 70 AD..

30-04-2013, 11:25 AM
More it just keeps coming.

Daniel predicted 490 years of Israel's history. 70 weeks of days equals 490 years. All scholars understand the prophesy... He even predicted Messiah's death.