Omg... fuck Trump yall.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Omg... fuck Trump yall.
(29-08-2017 08:23 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 08:14 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Will it never end?
Why does criticism of Trump need to equate to support of Obama and / or Hillary.
I'll go on record that they are all shit.
It just never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to get people to support anything by giving them 2 choices and making them hate one or the other.

For my part, I'm not supporting one or the other. I'm looking at the situation and trying to understand why this pardon is so controversial. The quote above is me supporting Obama's decision to commute Manning's sentence, not lambasting him for it.

Yeah my bad. I meant to quote Brian
At this point this "he started it" thing is like something I hear from a room full of 10 year olds.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2017, 08:44 AM
(29-08-2017 08:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Because despite that technically the president can pardon anyone, one wants to know that he's not using that ability for his own ends - not abusing the system. The Arpaio pardon seems to be purely on a whim of Trump's, and sets an extremely dangerous precedent. "If I like you, I can pardon you, I can protect you from legal challenges. How much do you like me?"

Wasn't that precedent set back when Ford pardoned Nixon? Arguably, Nixon committed far greater crimes than Arpaio was convicted for and faced no criminal charges.

To what ends is the pardon serving Trump. By most accounts here in the US (especially here on TTA), his rhetoric has already secured the support of racists, white nationalists, the KKK and many other unsavory characters (not to mention the whole basket of deplorables). Who is he courting with the pardon of Arpaio? Is it even possible that Trump felt Arpaio was doing his duty as a sheriff to enforce immigration laws in Arizona and that the conviction was wrong? After all, judges have been known to be wrong on occasion.

All I'm saying is that while controversial, his pardon is not impeachable under the current understanding of HC&M. It's only being touted as such by folks who can't stand that he is the current president.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
29-08-2017, 09:01 AM
(29-08-2017 08:44 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  To what ends is the pardon serving Trump. By most accounts here in the US (especially here on TTA), his rhetoric has already secured the support of racists, white nationalists, the KKK and many other unsavory characters (not to mention the whole basket of deplorables). Who is he courting with the pardon of Arpaio? Is it even possible that Trump felt Arpaio was doing his duty as a sheriff to enforce immigration laws in Arizona and that the conviction was wrong? After all, judges have been known to be wrong on occasion.
The answer is already here in the thread, but since you insist, I'll repeat:
  • The pardon sends a message that Trump will protect his friends.
  • It was also a test to see if it would work - if he just goes ahead and pardons say Mike Flynn, then everyone can easily see that it's the Russia thing that's the reason for the pardon.
  • This is of course, speculation to some extent. But riddle me this: what was the point of pardoning Arpaio now then? After he was convicted...

Quote:All I'm saying is that while controversial, his pardon is not impeachable under the current understanding of HC&M. It's only being touted as such by folks who can't stand that he is the current president.
I dunno if it's impeachable, but it should definitely give you pause? If not why not? I can't see how Trump's conduct can be defended here. Even you are reduced to saying "Well Ford got away with pardoning Nixon" - that doesn't make it right.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-08-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 09:40 AM by BikerDude.)
Because it solidifies his base.
And when one works this hard to appeal to THAT base it is a source for worry.
Can you say "brown shirts"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmabteilung

Fucking Nazi's.
Nothing changes.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
29-08-2017, 09:17 AM
(29-08-2017 09:08 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 09:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  The answer is already here in the thread, but since you insist, I'll repeat:
  • The pardon sends a message that Trump will protect his friends.
  • It was also a test to see if it would work - if he just goes ahead and pardons say Mike Flynn, then everyone can easily see that it's the Russia thing that's the reason for the pardon.
  • This is of course, speculation to some extent. But riddle me this: what was the point of pardoning Arpaio now then? After he was convicted...

I dunno if it's impeachable, but it should definitely give you pause? If not why not? I can't see how Trump's conduct can be defended here. Even you are reduced to saying "Well Ford got away with pardoning Nixon" - that doesn't make it right.

Because it solidifies his base.

Fucking Nazi's.
Nothing changes.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me or Reeveseb?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-08-2017, 09:42 AM
(29-08-2017 09:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 09:08 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Because it solidifies his base.

Fucking Nazi's.
Nothing changes.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me or Reeveseb?

Can't remember actually.
I just edited the post and took out the quote entirely.
And I'm not calling anyone here a Nazi.
Just the actual Nazi's

29-08-2017, 09:55 AM
(29-08-2017 09:42 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 09:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not sure if you're replying to me or Reeveseb?

Can't remember actually.
I just edited the post and took out the quote entirely.
And I'm not calling anyone here a Nazi.
Just the actual Nazi's

I hate to be a grammar Nazi (well, not really, it's kind of fun), but the plural of Nazi is Nazis. "Nazi's" is a possessive, as in "the Nazi's brown shirt." Carry on.

People who form plurals with apostrophes are among my pet peeves.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I agree with Reeveseb. The disagreements are all reasons to not like Trump's pardon- signalling to allies, throwing red meat to base, etc.- but the proper check on this must IMHO come from the American people in the form of pulling support, crushing the Republicans in the mid-terms, peaceful protest, and remembering how shady it was four years from now in November. "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" is very vague but at least implies illegality and we're better off keeping the definition tight rather than loose. Impeachment because "we didn't like that legal thing you did" is a bad idea.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
29-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Jesus' Belonging to Jesus. Jesus' lunchbox was full.
Jesuses Plural of Jesus. There were lots of Jesuses in the Christmas decorations.
Jesus's Jesus is. Jesus's not everyone's savior.

Okay, I just made those up. Grammar Nazi--official invitation to grade and correct.

We have a friend named James, so I'm always confused when addressing him in writing...

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
29-08-2017, 10:06 AM
(29-08-2017 10:01 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Jesus' Belonging to Jesus. Jesus' lunchbox was full.
Jesuses Plural of Jesus. There were lots of Jesuses in the Christmas decorations.
Jesus's Jesus is. Jesus's not everyone's savior.

Okay, I just made those up. Grammar Nazi--official invitation to grade and correct.

We have a friend named James, so I'm always confused when addressing him in writing...

Proper formation of possessives of names ending in s is a contentious issue. James's and James' are both considered correct. It's a matter of preference. I prefer James's, reserving the other form for possessives of plurals.

Oh, and "Nazi's" could also be a contraction, as in "The Nazi's going to eat lunch now."

Big Grin

I miss Vosur. He was the ultimate grammar Nazi. He even had a logo (two of them, actually).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post