Omnibenevolent (all loving)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Omnibenevolent (all loving)
Many, many times I see this used as an argument against Christianity.

"If God is all loving, why did He create Satan?"
"If God is all loving, how can He allow suffering?"
"If God is all loving, why do parents - even Christian parents - lose children?"
etc

I'm confused as to where this doctrine comes from and which denominations teach it.

The Bible clearly does not teach omnibenevolence in either the OT or the NT; likewise, I do not know of a denomination that teaches O4 instead of O3. I never even knew that omnibenevolence was a thing or a supposed characteristic of the Christian God until I started posting on TTA.

When did it become an arrow in the quiver in the argument against Christianity? And, which type of Christians would actually support this wholly inaccurate portrayal of God from the Bible?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: Omnibenevolent (all loving)
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 86:15 - But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

Psalm 36:5 - Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.

These are the passages my church would have used to show God's abundant love.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-08-2015, 02:53 PM
(19-08-2015 02:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 86:15 - But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

Psalm 36:5 - Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.

Yeah, but that's not omnibenevolence. That's just measures of love; likewise, it's not saying that the love is for everyone.

19-08-2015, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2015 04:00 PM by jennybee.)
(19-08-2015 02:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 02:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Yeah, but that's not omnibenevolence. That's just measures of love; likewise, it's not saying that the love is for everyone.

You are right--but I think the church's take on it is that God's love is plentiful and vast. They would say God loves us so much, he would sacrifice his very own son for us. The people in my church--since there is no greater sacrifice--would take that to mean that God is all-loving.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-08-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't think its an arrow in the quiver against Christianity as much as an arrow in the quiver against a certain vision of God that many «moderate/light» Christians, Muslim, Jews and a plethora of other monotheistic deists support. They believe omnibenevolence to be a trait of God. In the same fashion, the Bible doesn't really support that much the idea of an omnipotent and omniscient God since he seems to be taken by surprise or even defeated by certain events or person. One can make a case for it, but I think its possible to present a sound argument for a God with limited powers and knowledge.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-08-2015, 03:04 PM
1 John 4:8 does a good job of summing it up:

"He who does not love does not know God, for God is love"

It goes far beyond saying that god does love by saying that he is love or the very embodiment of love by which all standards of love should be based.

But then we read the old testament and see the very opposite of love. The willful murder of men, women and children for failing to obey his very long list of demands or for simply being non-hebrew.

"Surely I say, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. Except the Caananites. Fuck the Caananites"

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Octapulse's post
19-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I John 4:8 "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."

I John 4:16 "So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

Seems pretty all-loving to me, since he supposedly is the embodiment of love itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
(19-08-2015 03:04 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  1 John 4:8 does a good job of summing it up:

It goes far beyond saying that god does love by saying that he is love or the very embodiment of love by which all standards of love should be based.

But then we read the old testament and see the very opposite of love. The willful murder of men, women and children for failing to obey his very long list of demands or for simply being non-hebrew.

"Surely I say, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. Except the Caananites. Fuck the Caananites"

As an FYI, that's not what 1 John 4:8 says/means. Just saying.

(19-08-2015 03:04 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  1 John 4:8 does a good job of summing it up:

Eh, you beat me to the punch Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
19-08-2015, 03:11 PM
(19-08-2015 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

As an FYI, that's not what 1 John 4:8 says/means. Just saying.

Please explain. I know that one must be careful not to proof text the Bible, but it seems pretty cut and dry there.